*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630122-Power-of-Friendship-in-a-Virtual-World
Rated: 18+ · Article · Computers · #1630122
Is it possible to make friends and build lasting relationships in an on-line game?
Is it possible to make close friendships in an on-line game? You have to actually meet people in real life first in order to build a good friendship or relationship, right? Here is what I found out:

For years I was either focused on raising a family or advancing in a career. During the latter I spent long hours at work and late nights working on my computer at home. I reached a point in my life when I realized it was time to make some changes. Maybe it was because I was older and wiser and understood the value of people and friendships vs. material things. Maybe it was because my children threatened to put “…..a wonderful, dedicated employee” on my future head stone.   

Anyway, this change was not easy. I noticed that in working so much I never took the time to nurture and build friendships. So, in slowing my pace in life to "stop and smell the roses" I knew I would be doing it alone if I didn't make some changes. Therefore, besides leaving work at a normal time, I would be focusing on meeting people, making friends, and building relationships. I was on a mission!

One day at work I entered into a conversation with someone about an on-line game where you create cartoon-like characters and fight villains. I was told you could chat and make friends with people. Hmmm, to me it sounded more like a kid’s game, but I promised my co-worker I would check it out. After all, it would give me something to fill my evenings since I loved computers.

I logged into the web site and signed up for a free account. I was not about to fork over good money on a game with cartoon characters! Next, I created my cartoon character, a small bunny named Lily. Lily began running around town, working her little tasks and gaining points. After one evening of playing several hours I had made 10 friends and had lots of fun keeping the town free of villains. To my surprise I was definitely hooked! I immediately signed up for a year and began my quest of growing my little character and making more friends.

This was only the beginning of my on-line gaming. Over the past two years what I found was a virtual world of fun and communication with others. Although I now belong to several game sites, the site with my cartoon character, Lily, continues to be my favorite. I meet people from other states as well as other countries. Therefore, it is educational as well as fun.

So, back to my first question: “Is it possible to make close friendships in an on-line game?”

A Thesaurus describes friendship as the following:
Companionship, acquaintance, camaraderie, closeness,
or familiarity

Therefore, the answer is “Yes.” I have met many adults in my games that have become good friends. What started out as a common interest in games two years ago has become a comradeship in real life. We share e-mail addresses, chat on instant messenger sites, share photos, and cell phone numbers. We talk most evenings on-line about our day and never hesitate to help one another by offering advice or a shoulder to cry on when necessary. We have supported one another through major surgeries, family losses, divorces, you name it! We travel to meet one another in real life, laugh about how we met and, of course, play our games together.

It is important to remember that just like meeting anyone in real life, care should always be taken until you get to know the other person. The friendship will eventually become meaningful over time or dissolve. And always keep in mind that some people are there just to play the game – nothing more. But these people become your “game friends" and are always there to help you have fun.

Last, and certainly not least, some of my friends have also met their significant other at a game site, traveled to meet in real life and are now engaged or married. So in this day and age of modern technology and the internet world we are unlimited in making friends and building lifelong relationships with others. AND - we never know where it might lead!   
© Copyright 2009 Braunwyn (braunwyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630122-Power-of-Friendship-in-a-Virtual-World