*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630149-Library-of-Souls
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1630149
A man gets a bad Christmas gift. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must be about someone getting a really bad holiday gift


Library of Souls

Samuel was surprised at both the sound of the gun and the feeling of being suddenly pushed backward. He had just handed his wallet to the man with the gun. He’d offered no resistance at all.

The man had shot him anyway.

“Merry Christmas Mother-Fucker.”

The robber had turned and fled, laughing at his Yule reference.

Has to be the worst present ever, Samuel thought as he floated backwards in Hi-Def Slow Motion.

Samuel jumped aside as his body resumed normal speed, coming to land a good ten feet away from where his empty shoes marked the launch point.

Cool, was his surprising first thought.

“Let’s go Samuel. I don’t have all night.”

He turned to find – nothing.

“Down here.”

Samuel looked down to see a small cherub pacing around his ankles.

“Look, spare me the short angel jokes. I have heard them all before. How about you just heft me onto your shoulder and we’ll get started.”

Samuel wondered briefly how many short angel jokes there could actually be. Finally, he shrugged and lifted the white-robed munchkin onto his shoulder.

“Where are we going?”

“Library of Souls. We have you scheduled for a quick turn around.”

“I don’t understand. What is the Library of Souls?”

“How could you not know that? Don’t you remember? That is where you pick your next life. You know, rich and powerful or poor and meek etc.”

“I still don’t get it.”

The little angel pulled out something that appeared to be Blackberry and began typing. A few moments later he looked up and said, “Oops.”

“Oops?”

“Sorry man, we gotta get you back into your body. Turns out the bullet passed right through you without hitting anything vital.”

”Holy Cow! I think I have a pulse.” The EMT immediately went to work.

Word count 300

© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630149-Library-of-Souls