*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630307-work-in-preogress
by Craig
Rated: E · Sample · Fantasy · #1630307
Fantasy work in progress any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated
CHAPTER 1





It  was  a  cold  night  and  there  was  a  blizzard  just  starting  in  the  village  called Dracorum.  As  Razeen  saw  two  riders  approaching  the  Golden  Eagle  inn  on  the  eastern  side  of  the  towns  green.  Razeen  thought  it  a  little  strange  to  see  the  two  riders  at  this  time  of  night  and  even  stranger  because  they  had  dared to  ride  through  the  Redraan  forest  where  the  wolves  and  footpads  dwell.  As  they  rode  by  he  could  just  see  the  hard  face  of  a  man  riding  a  war  horse.  The  rider  looked  to  be  probably  a  head  taller  than  Razeen  when  he  was  standing  on  the  ground  but  it  was  hard  to  tell.  He  had  black  hair  held  off  of  his  face  by  a  scarf  that  was  wrapped  round  his  forehead  that  also  partially  shaded  his  eyes  from  the  snow.  His  clothes  looked  to  be  either  black  silk  or  satin  and  his  cloak  looked  to  be  made  of  many  layers  of  green  silk  lined  with  wool.

Razeen  could  only  just  make  out  the  outline  of  the  second  rider  but  the  rider  was  most  definitely  a  woman  and  looked  to  be  quite  young  and  attractive.  Then  they  passed  out  of  sight  down  the  narrow  alley  between  the  inn  and  a  house  towards  the  stables.



The  inn  looked  a  small  place  to  Mellandra’s  and  Carn’s  eyes,  the  streets  surrounding them  looked  completely  empty  but  Mellandra  had  a  feeling  they  were  being  watched.  Although  the  streets  where  empty  the  inn  looked  to  be  teeming  with  life  with  singing and  laughter  emanating  from  the  small  brick  building  with  a  red  tiled  roof.

At  first  sight  there  was  no  sign  of  a  stable  evident  but  as  they  rode  closer  an  alley  just  big  enough  for  one  person  on  horse  back  to  fit  through  at  a  time  came  into  view  through  the  now  heavily  falling  snow.  Carn  was  the  first  to  see  the  alley  so  he  started  to  lead  Fetheran  towards  it  and  Mellandra  followed  as  closely  as  possible  on  Albaneed,  as  they  entered  the  stable  yard  two  boys  appeared  from  the  shelter  of  one  of  the  stalls  to  take  their  horses,  as  they  took  the  reins  of  her  horse  Mellandra  tossed  them  a  silver  coin  each  and  entered  the  inn  to  escape  the  snow.

As  Carn  entered  the  inn through  the  kitchen  door  he  was  struck  with  the  smell  of  mutton  roasting  on  a spit  over  the  huge  fire,  the  spit  being  turned  slowly  by  a  young  girl  in  a  white  apron,  there  were also  the  smells  of  many  different  spices  and  peppers.

As  he  turned  towards  the  door  to  the  common  room  he  saw  Mellandra  standing  there  with  her  back  turned  to  the  kitchen  talking  to  a  little  barrel  of  a  man  in  a  white  apron  called  Master  Rodin  the  inn  keeper.  As  he  approached  Mellandra’s  back  he  could  see the  side  of  her  face  as  she  shook  her  head  at  Master  Rodin,  her  face  was  an  oval  in  shape  with  high  cheek  bones  and  eyes  the  colour  of  sparkling  blue  sapphires,  and  a  petite  nose.  As  he  came  closer  he  caught  the  end  of  what  Master  Rodin  was  saying  that  had  Mellandra  shaking  her  head,  “Well  you  see  my  Lady  Clara  there’s  only  one  room  left  and  it’s  very  small  and  not  fit  for  a  lady  such as  yourself  and  a  lord,  for  a  servant  it  would  suit  perfectly  but  never  a  lord  and  a  lady.  I  may  be  able  to  get  somebody  to  move  from  their  room  into  there  but  you  would  have  to  wait  a  while  and  be  willing  to  give  some  coin  to  people  to  give  them  an  incentive  to  move.  But  you  will  have  to  be  willing  to  share  a  room.”  he  said  gesturing  towards  Carn.

“No,  I  don’t  mind  sharing  a  room  with  Lord  Harper  and  I’m  sure  he  won’t  mind  sharing  either.  Now  here’s  a  few  gold  marks  give  them  to  who  ever  you  need  to,  and  now  if  you’d  be  as  kind  as  to  show  us  to  your  private  dining  room  we  will  let  you  be  on  your  way.”

“Of  course,  of  course,  right  this  way  just  follow  me.”  As  Master  Rodin  swung  open  one  of  the  two  oaken  doors  leading  to  the  common  room  the  smell  of  tobacco, spiced  wine  and  ale  all  mixed  together,  and  as  Carn  stepped  through  the  door  into  the  common  room  he  could  see  a  greyish  blue  haze  of  pipe  smoke  hanging  in  the  air.

As  Carn  walked  across  the  room  he  got  a  few  strange  looking  patrons  who  mainly  looked  like  people  stranded  there  because  of  the  snow,  because  he  was  sure  that  nobody  from  this  village  would  know the  meaning  of  the  silver  snake  with  a  ruby  eye  wrapped  around  the  scabbard  of  the  sword  that  hung  on  his  hip.

When  Carn  reached  the  far  side  of  the  room  Master  Rodin  had  already  entered  the  narrow  passageway  and  was  almost  at  another  wooden  door  carved  with  flowers  and  birds.  When  he  opened  the  door  and  Carn  walked  in  he  was  quite  taken  aback  by  the  size  of  the  private  dining  room  for  such  a  small  looking  inn,  the  room  contained  a  large  dark  wooden  table  in  the  centre  of  the  room  and  five  high  backed  chairs  all  neatly  arranged  around  the  table.  There  were  also  three  standing  lamps  surrounded  by  mirrors,  one  at  each  end  of  the  room  and  the  third  being  just  inside  the  door.  At  the  end  of  the  room  near  the  head  of  the  table  there  was  already  a  roaring  log  fire  going  in  the  hearth,  and  the  hearth  itself  had  a  wooden  mantle  running  across  the  top of  it  with  a  flint  box  and  two  candles  placed  at  either  end.  When  Carn  entered  the  room  all  of  the  candles  were  unlit  but  by  the  time  he  had  reached  the  flint  box  Master  Rodin  was  just  lighting  the  last  candle  in  the  room  and  was  on  his  way  back  to  return  the  flaming  piece  of  wood  to  the  fire.

“Well  I’ll  be leaving  you  now  and  shall  send  my  maids  in  with  your  meal.  If  you  need  anything  just  tell  the  maids  and  they’ll  know  where  to  find  me.”  and  with  a  deep  bow  that  almost  put  his  head  touching  the  floor  he  backed  out  of  the  door  and  was  gone.”

After  counting  slowly  to  ten,  Carn  opened  the  door  to  check  that  Master  Rodin  had  gone  and  was  not  eaves  dropping  outside  the  door,  then  he  turned  to  Mellandra  and  said  “Why  have  you  brought  us  to  such  a  desolate  place  Mellandra,  and  why  bother  to  change  our  names  I’m  sure  nobody  even  recognises  a  wizard  and  a  sorceress  this  far  south.”

“I  brought  us  here  because  we  are  supposed  to  go  searching  everywhere  to  find  people  with  the  power  and take  them  back  to  the  Palace  with  us, and  I  chose  not  to  use  our  real  names  so  if  anyone  asks  after  us  the  people  here  would  never  have  heard  of  a  Sorceress  Mellandra  and  Wizard  Carn  now  would  they.”

“Well  I  suppose  it  is  a  good  idea  not  to  use  our  real  names  and  from  the  look  of  that  blizzard  you’re  right  about  there  being  people  here  who  have  the  power  or  an  extremely powerful  person  is  here  at  least.”  The  last  word  that  Carn  said  was  slightly  muffled  by  a  loud  knock  at  the  door.  “Come.”  Carn  shouted  in  a  rougher  voice  than  was  needed.

Three  maids  entered  each  one  was  fairly  pretty  in  their  own  rights  and  each  one  carried  a  silver  tray  that  looked  like  they  had  just  been  dug  out  of  a  cupboard  after  a  long  forgotten  time.  The  first  two  trays  that  where  placed  on  the  table  smelled  of  the  roasted  mutton  and  spices  that  Carn  first  smelt  as  he  entered  the  kitchen  and  the  third  smelt  of  a  sweet  mulled  wine  and  of  apple  punch.

As  the  last  girl  was  leaving  the  room  a  rather  tall  slim girl  who  looked  to  be  about  in  her  seventeenth  year,  Mellandra  said  to  her  “Would  you  ask  Master  Rodin to  come  and  see  us  as  soon  as he  has  arranged  our  rooms.”

The  girl  turned  around  curtsied  and  replied  in  a  melodious  voice  “Yes  my  Lady  but  he  could  be  quite  awhile.”  then  she  stood  straight  and  walked  out  of  the  door  shutting  it  firmly  behind  her.

When  the  young  serving  girl  left  Carn  finally  took  a  seat  in  front  of  one  of  the  silver  trays  and  pulled  back  the  cloth  covering  it  and  drank  in  the  aromas  that  came  flooding  out,  when  he  pulled  the  cloth  completely  off  there  was  a  huge  piece  of  mutton  in the  middle  of  a  platter  and  then  that  was  completely  surrounded  by  carrots, peas,  turnips,  parsnips  and  then  all  of  it  was  partially  covered  over  with  mashed  up  potatoes.  If  that  was  all  of  the  food  on  the  tray  Carn  would  have  been  happy  but  then  there  were  small  dishes  all  around  the  platter  with  small red  peppers  and  larger  yellow  and  green  ones,  the  there  was  another  bowl  with  rice  in  it  from  across  the  Yorith  Passage,  there  was  even  a  medium  sized  platter  completely  filled  with  scones  and  pieces  of  fruit  cake  for  afters.  When  he  looked  across  at  Mellandra  he  could  tell that  her  tray  held  exactly  the  same  as  his,  “There’s  enough  here  to  feed  four, no,  five  people  and  then  there  would  still  be  some  to  spare.”  She  said  with  a  perplexed  look  on  her  face.

“I  know  but  it  is  impolite  not  to  at  least  try  some  of everything  Mellandra.  You  should  be  glad  anyway  after  all  that  complaining  you  did  about  all  the  other  inns  and taverns  food  we  had  on  the  way  here.  I  thought  you  would  be  pleased.”

“Maybe  those  inns  didn’t  give  enough  but  at  least  they  didn’t  give  you  food  that  would  go  to  waste  afterwards.”  Mellandra  replied  around  a  mouthful  of  mutton  and  vegetables.

“Would  you  like  some  wine  or  punch?”  Carn  said  as  he  lifted  the  third cloth  to  reveal  a  tall  clay  bottle  sealed  with  blue  wax  and  imprinted  with  an  eagle  with  it’s  wings  spread  wide  like  the  one  on  the  sign  outside,  and  then  there  was  a  pitcher  filled  with  an  extremely  sweet  smelling  apple  punch  next  to  it.

“I’ll  have  some  wine  I  think  please  Carn.”  as  Carn  passed  her  a  goblet  full to  the  brim  with  the  spiced  wine  Mellandra  took  note  of  the  finely  worked  silver  goblet  that  was  chased  with  gold  around  the  brim  and  foot  of  it.

When  Carn  and  Mellandra  had  finished  what  they  could  of  the  food  that  was  brought  to  them  there  was  a  knock  at  the  door  closely  followed  by  the  appearance  of  Master  Rodin  who  walked  in  and  shut  the  door.  “My  Lady  Mellandra,  my  Lord  Carn  I  have  managed  at  last  to  acquire  you  a  room  but as  I  said  you  will have  to  share,  but  it  is  at  least  a  room and  fair  size  at  that.”

“Thank  you  Master  Rodin.  I am  most  appreciative  of  your  help  here  take  this  for  your  troubles  and  give  this  extra  to  the  person  whose  room  you  have  placed  us  in.”  Mellandra  said  as  she  passed  Master  Rodin  three  gold  crowns  for  himself  and  five  silver  pennies  for  the  man’s  room  they’d  taken.

“Thank  you  very  much  my  Lady,  but  truly  there  is  no  need  for  this,  I’m  sure  Vardeth  is  already  happy with  the  money  I  already  gave  to  him  from  you.”

“No,  it’s  only  right  that  Master  Vardeth  should  have  a  fair  amount  of  compensation  and  of  course  you  yourself  should  after  spending  most  of  the  evening  searching  for  a  room  for  us.”  Carn  replied  as  Mellandra  was  putting  the  money  pouch  away.

“He  may  not  accept  it  but  I  will give  it  to  him.  Is  there  anything  else  you  would  like  before  I  show  you  to  the  room?”

“Yes  would  you  please  arrange  a  bath  for  me  in  our  room.  If  it  is  at  all  possible  and  a  maid  to  help  me  with  my  hair  and  getting  undressed.”

“Why  yes  of  course  I  could  my  Lady.  Would  you  require  a  bath  also  my  Lord?”

“No  thank  you  I  think  I  shall  just  go  and  sit  in  the  common  room  for  a  while.  Is  that  a  zither  I  can  hear  above  all  of  the  noise.”

“Why  yes  it  is  my  Lord  and  there’s  a  very  pretty  woman  playing  it  as  well.  I  shall  have  your  bath  sorted  out  in  your  room  and  then  I’ll  come  and  fetch  you  my  Lady.”  Master  Rodin  said  and  then  disappeared  through  the  door  closely  followed  by  Carn.

When  Carn  and  Master  Rodin  had  left,  Mellandra  walked  over  to  shelf  that  was  about  chest  high  and  contained  books  including  her  favourite  ‘Tales  Of  The  Dragon  Warriors’ which  she  picked  up  and  walked  over  to  an  armchair  and  sat in  it  cross  legged  and  started  to  read.

Mellandra  was  halfway  through  the  fourth  chapter  when  a  tall  slim  woman  with  waist  length  black  glossy  hair  and  deep  hazel  eyes  walked  into  the  room.  Without  a  glance  at  Mellandra  the  maid  walked  over  to  the  trays  and  piled  both  of  the  food  trays  one  on  top  of  the  other,  and  then  with  them  precariously  balanced  in  one  hand  she  picked  up  the  tray  with  the  drinks  on  with  the  other  hand  and  walked  with  the  trays  tilting  dangerously,  looking  as  if  they  would  fall  with  her  next  step.

When  the  maid  reached  the  door  she  then  slightly  inclined  her  head  towards  Mellandra  and  walked  through  the  door  and  once  out  hooked  her  toes  around  the  edge  of  the  door  and  pulled  it  closed.  So  Mellandra  settled  back  down  to  her  book  to  await  her  bath.

Mellandra  had  read  another  two  and  a  half  chapters  in  the  book  and  was  just  getting  to  her  favourite  part  where  the  dragon  prince  meets  the  girl  he  loves  for  the  first  time  when  a  slender  girl  of  a  middling  height  entered  the  room  and  curtsied  to  her.  “My  Lady  Clara.  Master  Rodin  told  me  to  come  and  tell  you  that  your  bath is  ready,  and  if  you  are  ready  to  go  would  you  please  follow  me  to  your  room.”

As  Mellandra  let  out  a  sigh  and  closed  the  book  knowing  that  she  wouldn’t  get  to  finish  it  she  stood  up  and  replaced  it back  on  the  shelf  before  motioning  for  the  maid  to  lead  her  way.

“What  is  your  name  child?”  Mellandra  asked  the  maid  as  they  walked  down  the  short  corridor  into  the  common  room.

“My  name  is  Celine  my  Lady.”

“Well  Celine  after  you  have  shown  me  to  my  room  would  you  stay  a  while  to  talk  and  help  me  wash  my  hair.”

“Of  course  I  will  my  Lady.”  Celine  answered  as  she  led  Mellandra  up  a  sturdy  set  of  stone  steps  on  the  far  side  of  the  common  room  up  to  the  first  floor.  When  Celine  reached  the  top  of  the  stairs  she  turned  to  the  first  door  on  her  left  and  pushed  it  open.  Inside  the  room  was  a  huge  canopied  four  posted  bed  and  next  to  it  was  a  deep  red  wooden  table  with  a  candle  sitting  on  top  of  it  and  then  on  the  mantle  above  the  fire  was  another  candle  and  to  Mellandra’s  surprise  there  was  another  row  of  books.

“Where  do  you  manage  to  find  so  many  books  in  such  a  far  out  place?”  Mellandra  asked  as  Celine  was  closing  the  door.

“There’s  a  merchant  who  comes  across  from  Yorith  most  summers  when  the  crossing is  calm.  He  always  has  a  large  selection  of  books  and  silk  clothes  at  a  fairly  cheap  price.”

By  the  time  Celine  had  finished  talking  she  had  already  undone  the  buttons  on  the  back  of  Mellandra’s  dress  and  was  starting  to  help  her  wriggle  out  of  the  rather  snug bodice.

As  Mellandra  lowered  herself  into  the  copper  bath  until  only  her  head  showed  above the  rose  petals  floating  on  the  surface  of  the  water,  Celine  was  busy  crushing  some  rose  petals  to  get  the  scent  and  mix  it  with  berries  to  make  a  scented  paste  to  wash  her  hair  with.  When  Celine  came  walking  over  with  the  rose  and  berry  paste  Mellandra  had  already  finished  washing  off  the  days  dirt  and  was  enjoying  relaxing  in  the  water  with  the  warmth  of  the  water  soothing  all  of  her  aching  muscles.

When  Celine  had  poured  a  jug  of  warm  water  over  Mellandra’s  head  she  rubbed  the paste  into  her  hair  and  onto  her  scalp  quite  vigorously  causing  Mellandra  to  grit  her  teeth  as  she  said  “Celine  when  you  have  finished  washing  my  hair  would  you  please  go  and  make  sure  that  Lord  Harper  doesn’t  get  too  drunk.”

“Yes  of  course  my  Lady.  I  would  be  most  glad  to  keep  an  eye  on  Lord  Harper.  That  is  if  my  Lady  doesn’t  object.”

“Of  course  I  don’t  object,  myself  and  Lord  Harper  are  merely  travelling  companions  and  good  friends,”  Mellandra  told  Celine  as  she  poured  another  jug  of  warm  water  over  her  head  to  rinse  out  the  rose  paste.  “But  before  you  go  to  keep  an  eye  on  Lord  Harper  would  you  fetch  our  saddle  bags  from  the  kitchens.”

“Yes  of  course  I  shall  my  Lady  is  that  all?”  when  Mellandra  nodded  her  head  Celine  walked  over  to  the  bed  and  picked  up  a  blue  silk  robe  and  carried  it  back over  to  Mellandra who  was  now  standing,  the  water  slicking her  body  making  her  skin  pimple  with  goose  bumps  as  water  always  did  when  it  was  left  to  dry  naturally  on  a  persons  naked  flesh.

When  Mellandra  was  wrapped  in  her  robe  Celine  left  to  get  the  saddle  bags  leaving  Mellandra  to  waste  time  waiting  for  her  to  return,  which  she  managed  to  do  by,  to her  delight  finding  another  copy  of  ‘Tales  Of  The  Dragon  Warriors’  and  picked  up  the  story  where  she  had  left  off  earlier.

A  sudden  knock  on  the  door  disturbed  Mellandra  from  her  reading  and  to  her  surprise  the  candle  had  burnt  down  to  almost  half  it’s  length  from  when  she  lit  it.

“Come,”  Mellandra  called  as  the  door  was  slightly  opening  then  it  opened  fully  to  reveal  Celine  staggering  in  through  the  door  with  a  saddle  bag  draped  over  each  shoulder.

“I’m  sorry  I  took  so  long  my  Lady  but  someone  had  moved  your  saddle  bags  into  the  private  dining  room,”  Celine  said  as  she  stumbled  towards  the  stool  on  the  other  side  of  the  room  and  placed  the  bags  on  it.

  “Don’t  worry  Celine  I  have  quite  enjoyed  the  time  I  had  reading.  Now  if  you  would  find  my  clean  shift  out  of  the  saddle  bags  I  would  be  most  pleased.”

  “Of  course  my  Lady,”  it  took  Celine  a  few  moments  but  she  eventually  found  the  shift  and  helped  Mellandra  to  put  it  on.

  When  Celine  had  left  Mellandra  settled  into  bed  and  was  going  to  start  reading  but  before  she  had  chance  to  start  reading  she  was  in  the  rhythm  of  deep  sleep.





CHAPTER

2





  When  Mellandra  awoke  the  next  day  there  was  the  red  glow  of  dawn  just  showing  in the  east  through the  small  crack  in  the  windows  shutters.  As  she  sat  up  and  looked around  she  finally  realised  that  the  blizzard  must  have  abated  for  the  sun  to  be  visible.

  “Good  morn  Mellandra,”  Carn  said  as  he  rose  from  the  chair  against  the  roaring  log  fire.  “I  hope  you  slept  well,  how  was  the  book?”

  “Yes  I  did  sleep  perfectly  well  thank  you  Carn  and  the  book  was  most  interesting.  Or  what  I  can  remember  reading  of  it,”  Mellandra  replied  as  she  stood  up  and  pulled  her  blue  robe  tight  around  her  to  keep  the  mornings  chill  from  touching  her.

  “I  suppose  you  would  like  to  hear  what  I  found  out  last  night?”  Carn  asked  smugly  and  then  without  waiting  for  an  answer  ploughed  straight  on  “Well  I  found  mostly  that  all  of  the  men  and  boys  who  are  older  than  their  seventeenth  year  admired  your  beauty.  The  thing  that  seemed  to  surprise  them  most  though  was  that  we  had  travelled  through  the  Redraan  Forest  at  night.”

  “And  why  should  that  surprise  them?  I  saw  plenty  of  other  travellers  go  through  there  before.  And  it’s  the  quickest  way  to  this  village.”  When  Mellandra  sat  in  the  chair  facing  the  one  that  Carn  had  just  risen  from  Carn  also  retook  his  seat  and  then  after  lighting  his  pipe  began  to  speak.

  “Oh,  they  all agree  with  you  on  that,  it’s  just  that  the  Redraan  Forest  is  full  of  footpads,  smugglers  and  wolves.”

  “So  you  see  although  being  the  quickest  route  is  not  the  safest  by  quite  a  wide  margin.”

  “So  what  you  are  trying  to  say  is  that  we  should  have  followed  the  road  right  the  way  around  the  edge  of  the  Forest  which  no  doubt  would  have  meant  at  least  another  days  travel.”

  “No  I’m  not  implying  anything  of  the  sort.  I’m  just  repeating  what  I  was  told  last  night.”

  “Well  instead  of  telling  me  what  I  already  know  tell  me  something  I  don’t.”

  “Alright  I  bet  you  don’t  know  that  there’s  a  retired  wizard  living  in  the  hills  about  an  hours  ride  from  here.”

  “Why  should  that  be  of  any  importance  to  us.”

  “Well  it  would  certainly  begin  to  explain  the  rather  bizarre  weather  that  has  been  happening.”

  “And  just  what  reasoning  could  have  brought  you  to  this  conclusion?”

  Carn  looked  at  his  hands  in  his  lap  and  shook  his  head  as  if  the  answer  to  what  Mellandra  wanted  to  know  was  simple  and  then  without  looking  up  began.    “I  can  see  that  I’m  going  to  have  to  explain  a  lot  of  things  to  you  about  wizards  and  for  one  thing  there  was  no  reasoning  behind  it,  it  was  just  common  sense.”

  “First  of  all  if  there  is  a  wizard  living  in  or  near  a  village  or  town  where  a  male  child  is  born  with  the  power  then  it  is  the  duty  of  that  wizard  to  seek  out  that  child  and  see  that  he  does  not  harm  himself  or  any  one  else  trying  to  cast  webs  when  he  doesn’t  know  what  they  are.”

  When  Carn  looked  up  to  Mellandra’s  eyes  he  could  see  that  she  had  finally  understood  what  he  had  been  getting  at.

  “So  what  you  are trying  to  say  Carn  is  that  if  this  wizard  has  found  this  child  in  this  village  with  the  power  he  could  be  guiding  him  to  use  it,  and  that  all  of  this  bizarre  weather  could  be  the  result  of  him  training  him  to  use  the  air  part  of  the  power.”

  “I  knew  you  would  finally  understand  Mellandra.  So  now  you've  worked  it  out  what  do  you  propose  we  should  do  about  it?”

  “I  don’t  know  if  there’s  anything  we  can  do.  I  mean  training  a  wizard  is  a  wizards  business.”

  “Ah,  yes  that  it  is  but  wizards  can  only  do it  if it  does  not  affect  the  environment  or  trade  of  the  village  or  town  that  the  wizard  is  being  trained  in  otherwise  he  must  be  taken  to  the  Palace,  where  he  can  be  trained  without  any  effect  to  other  people.”

  “So what  you  are  trying  to  say  Carn  is  that  we  could  take  this  boy  to  the  Palace  because  of  the  affect  his  training  is  having  on  this  village.” 

  “That's  exactly  what  I  am  trying  to  say,  because  as  you  well  know  the  Palaces  spell  protects  the  surrounding  area  from  an  untrained  wizards  power.”

  “Well  then  what  are  you  waiting  for?  While  I  get  dressed  you  could  be  doing  your  part  and  see  the  village  council  and  find  if  they  will  let  us  test  their  young  for  any  signs  of  the  power  within.”

As  Carn  stood  he  bowed  slightly  to  Mellandra  and  said  “By  your  leave  m’ Lady.”

  When  the  door  closed  behind  Carn,  Mellandra  went  over  to  her  saddlebag  and  pulled  out  a  thin  neatly  folded  silk  shift  and  pulled  it  on  over  her  head  before  donning  the  freshly  washed  and  pressed  dress  she  found  draped  over  the  back  of  a  nearby  chair.

  As  Mellandra  walked  along  the  corridor  towards  the  stairs  she  could  hear  the  sound  of  voices  coming  the  common  room  above  the  sound  that  her  skirt  made  as  she  moved. 

  At  the  top  of  the  stairs  she  stood  stunned  for  a  couple  of  moments  at  the  sight  of  three  topless  men  with  long  braided  hair  sitting  around  a  table  in  a  dim  corner  of  the  room.  But  the  dim  light  wasn’t  enough  to  hide  the  fact  that  sitting  in  the  darkest  reaches  of the  corner  was  a  woman  with  long  brown  hair  pulled  over  her  shoulder  in  a  braid  like  that  of  the  men,  and  also  like  the  men  she  was  topless  exposing  her  well  formed  bosom  for  all  to  see.

  While  Mellandra  crossed  the  room  to  talk  to  Master  Rodin  she  found  that  she  couldn’t  take  her  eyes  from  the  strange  quartet  in  the  corner  and  as  she  passed  them  by  she  took  in  the  strange  lines  they  had  tattooed  on their  faces.

  “A  good  morn  to  you  my  Lady,  I  hope  you  found  the  room  to  your  liking.  Would  you  like  to  break  the  nights  fast  here  or  do  you  have  other  plans?” Master  Rodin  said  whilst  looking  nervously  towards  the  young  woman  in  the  corner.

  “I’m  not  hungry  at  the  moment,  but  thank  you  for  the  offer.”  Mellandra  said  while  snugging  her  gloves  between  her  fingers.

  “Who  is  that  woman  in  the  corner?”  Mellandra  asked  casually.

  “Ah,  well  I  was  hoping  that  you  wouldn’t  have  seen  her.”

  “Well  I  have.  So  who  is  she  and  where  does  she  come  from?”  Mellandra  said  in  a  tone  to  make  sure  he  understood  she  would  take  no  lies.

  “Well  you  see  the  storm  last  night  was  terrible  so  no  one  could  leave,  as  you  know,”  Mellandra  nodded  that  she  did.  “And  those  four  were  up  here  trading  goods  from  Sulary  when  the  storm  hit  so  they  stayed  here  for  the  night.”

  “Well  that  explains  where  they  come  from  but  who  is  she  to  be  sitting  exposed  like  that,  and  in  front  of  those  three  men.”

  “That  is  Jedara,  she  is  the  captain  of  the  ship  from  Sulary  and  it  is  the  custom  of  the  Sularian  people  that  if  men  sit  without  tops  then  so  do  the  women.

  “You  see  in  their  eyes  it  is  a  matter  of  honour  for  the  women  to  be  seen  the  same  as  the  men”  Master  Rodin  rested  his  elbows  on  the  counter  and  leaned  closer  to  Mellandra  “They  even  have  women  blacksmiths.”

  “But  even  if  they  are  the  customs  in  Sulary  why  do  you  let  her  do  it  in  the  common  room  of  your  inn  and  in  daylight?”  Mellandra  questioned  in  an  astonished  voice,  the  very  thought  of  sitting  exposed  like  that  with  three  men  made  her  shiver.

  “Well  you  have  to  understand  m` Lady  that  people  become  very  prickly  over  matters  of  honour.  So  I  compromised  that  whilst  she  is  here  she  can  sit  exposed  only  when  the  common  room  is  empty  and  as  you  can  see  it is  but  when  it  is  busy  then  she  must  cover  her  self  up.

  “I  am  deeply  sorry  if  I  have  caused  my  Lady  any  offence.”

  “No  offence  taken  Master  Rodin  but  a  warning  would  have  been  nice.”  With  that  Mellandra  turned  and  headed  straight  for  the  door,  concentrating  on  not  looking  towards  the  topless  woman  again.

  When  Mellandra  stepped  out  into  the  street  she  had  to  stand  still  for  a  moment  as  her  eyes  adjusted  to  the  light  of  the  morning  sun  that  was  just  coming  over  the  snow  encrusted  rooftops  to  the  east  side  of  the  village.

  Out  in  the  street  there  were  already  many  people  moving  around  in  their  daily  business,  with  farmers  setting  up  little  wooden  tables  around  the  village  green  and  some  were  already  hawking  their  goods  and  saying  how  theirs  were  the  best in  the  whole  of  the  Jemanossis  district.

  As  Mellandra  walked  towards  the  village  councils  chambers,  which  were  no  more  than  a  large  mansion  on  the  south  side  of  the  village,  she  made  a  detour  and  walked  towards  the  nearest  small  wooden  table  on  the  very  outskirts  of  the  village  green.  As  she  looked  down  trying  to  find  the  choicest  apple,  Mellandra  was  constantly  aware  of  the  expectant  eyes  of  the  woman  standing  on  the  other  side.

  When  Mellandra  looked  towards  the  woman  behind  the  table  she  could  see  that the  stall  holder  was  of  middling  height  with  short  grey  hair  and  a  face  of  wrinkles  and  bags,  yet  her  eyes  where  still  full  of  vigour  and  life.

  “It’ll  be  a  copper  for  that  apple  my  lady,”  the  old  woman  said.

  “”Oh  yes  of  course,”  when  Mellandra  put  her  hand  in  the  little  pouch  hanging  from  her  belt  she  could  only  find  silver  or  gold  coins.

  “I’m  afraid  I  don’t  have  anything  smaller,”  Mellandra  said  as  she  tossed  the  woman  a  silver  coin.

  The  woman  spluttered  to  find  her  voice  as  she  caught  the  spinning  coin  but  before  she  could  start  ingratiating  herself  upon  her, Mellandra  turned  away  and  started  once  more  towards  the  mansion.  The  flesh  of  the  apple  had  a  crisp  crunch  to  it  which  made  Mellandra  glad  that  she  had  paid  so  much  and  the  apple  wasn’t  days  old  like  some.

  Mellandra  was  greeted  at  the  mansion  by  a  boy  who  could  have  been  no  more  than  eight  years  old  with  sandy  blonde  hair and  deep  blue  eyes,  “I’m  here  to  see  the  council,”  Mellandra  said  when  she  reached  the  tall  oak  doors.

  “My  Lady,  they  have  been  expecting  you  and  sent  me  here  to  escort  you  to  their  council  chambers,”  the  boy  said  as  he  dipped  his  head  and  went  to  one  knee.

  When  Mellandra  nodded  that  she  understood  the  boy  rose  and  opened  one  of  the doors  and  held  out  a  hand  indicating  for  Mellandra  to  go  through  first,  displaying  all  the  courtesies  a  gentleman  would  show  a  woman.

  Once  inside  the  mansion  Mellandra  took  an  appraisal  of  the  carpets  and  paintings  which  all  appeared  to  be  of  origin  from  Yorith,  coloured  in  bright,  garish  blues,  yellows  and  reds  that  Yorith  where  renowned  for.  If  nothing  else  Yorithian  people  had  a  taste  for  bright  colours  that  surely  never  belonged  together,  Mellandra  thought  to  herself  as  she  walked  past  picture  of  a  king  wearing  the  brightest  green  and  orange  robes  Mellandra  had  ever  seen.

  As  the  servant  boy  led  Mellandra  up  stairs  and  down  corridors  the  paintings  and  carpets  became  more  and  more  colourful  and  just  as  Mellandra  was  about  to  ask  how  much  further  it  was,  the  boy  threw  open  two  tall  mahogany  doors  and  called  “Lady  Mellandra  companion  of  Lord  Carn  and  envoy  from  the  Crystal  Palace.”

  Mellandra  stepped  into  the  room  as  the  echo  of  the  boys  voice  died  out  and  went  to  stand  next  to  Carn  at  his  right  hand,  as  a  barrel  of  a  man  with  a  bald  patch  on  the  top  of  his  head  was  just  finishing  saying  to  Carn,  “.....we  agree  that  people  with  the  power  should  not  go  untrained  but  many  a  family  here  would  not  allow  you  to  just  take  their  children  even  if  they  had  the  power.”

  When  the  bald  man  had  finished  speaking  all  twelve  of  the  council  rose  and  bowed  to  Mellandra  and  when  she  bade  them  to  rise  and  return  to  their  seats  they  did  so  awaiting  Carn’s  response  to  what  they  had  just  said.

  Carn  turned    his  head  and  nodded  in  greeting  to  Mellandra  before  speaking  to  the  council.

  “I  agree  completely  with  the  fact  that  parents  should  not  be  made  to  part  with  their  children  that  is  why  there  is  a  city  surrounding  the  Palace,  where  families  of  the  children  who  have  the  power  can  come  to  live  and  see  their  children  every  day  if  they  so  wish  it,  and  if  you  allow  us  to  test  the  young  of  this  village  we  shall  make  it  known  to  the  families  of  all  that  if  they  have  someone  with  the  power  and  if  they  so  wish  it  they  can  come  along  also,”  Carn  said  to  the  fat  balding  man  Mellandra  now  knew  was  the  village  mayor.

  “And  the  Palace  could  always  use  more  people  with  different  crafts  to  work  in and  around  the  Palace,  and  they  are always  paid  well.”  Mellandra  said  straight  after  Carn.

  “Be  that  as  it  may  my  Lord,  m’ Lady,  not  all  people  will  want  to  leave,  but  if  it  is  truly  as  you  say  at  the  Palace,  we  shall  let  you  test  the  people  of  our  village,  but  they  must  give  their  consent  first.”  The  mayor  said  accompanied  with  the nodded  and  grunted  assent  of  the  council.

  “It  shall  be  as  you  say,  and  thank you  for  your  co-operation,”  Carn  said  in  respectful  tones  and  with  a  slight  bow  of  his  head.

  “Thank  you  for  your  time  and  patience”,  Mellandra  said  dipping  her  head  as  slight  as Carn’s,  “but  now  we  must  be  on  our  way.”                                                  “Oh,  yes  then  we  shall  not  impede  you  any  further,”  The  mayor  intoned  respectfully.

  “Nemas!”  a  man  to  the  mayors  left  shouted  and  a  tall  dark  haired  boy  came  scurrying  in  through  the  small  servants  door  and  dropped  to  one  knee.

  “Yes  Master  Ramon.”

  “Nemas  will  you  kindly  show  Lord  Carn  and  Lady  Mellandra  out.”  The  man  who  the  boy  called  Ramon  said  in  a  deep  ruff  voice.

  The  journey  back  through  the  corridors  seemed  to  take  half  the  time  it  took  to  get  to  the  council  chambers. 

  When  the  tall  oak  door  swung  shut  Mellandra  turned  to  Carn  and  said,  “What  do  we  do  now.  It  will  surely  take  too  long  to  explain  to  everyone  in  the  village  what  we  are  about,  and  it’ll  take  even  longer  to  convince  them  there’s  no  hidden  motive  behind  what  we  do.”

  “I  think  we  should  go  and  see  the  wizard,  and  see if  he’ll  help  us.”  Carn  replied  looking  intently  out  at  nothing  in  the  clear  red  blue  dawn  sky.





CHAPTER 3







  As  Carn  and  Mellandra  crested  the  hill  road  leading  down into the  valley  the  sun  had  just  reached  its  noonday  peak  and  sweat  was  running  freely  down  Carn’s  back  sticking  his  shirt  to  his  skin,  when  Carn  looked  over  at  Mellandra  he  could  see  that  the  heat  was  causing  her  clothes  to  stick  to  her  as  the  silk  bodice  of  her  dress  was  becoming  much  more  clingy  and  emphasising  the  shape  of  her  bosom.

Halfway  down  the  other  side  of  the  hill  Carn  heard  a  man  cursing  loudly  in  the  bushes  to  his  left.  When  Carn  dismounted  and  walked  over  to  the  bushes  he saw  under  a  tall  spreading  elm  there  was  an  old  yet  still  powerfully  built  man,  wearing  black  leggings  and  a  Jade  green  tunic,  with  a  black  cloak  that  would  usually  be  hanging  down  his  back  but  that  was  now  stretched  out  behind  him  held  tight  by  the  elm  that  Carn  could  now  see  had  a  big  grin  on  its  trunk  as  it watched  the  man  struggle  to  turn  round  and  face  it.

  “Good  day  my  friend,”  Carn  said  as  he  stepped  out  into  the  clearing  to  the  astonishment  of  both  man  and  tree.

  The  old  man  was  the  first  to  react  and  took  advantage  of  the  trees  momentary  lapse  in  the  struggle  and  spun  raising  his  arms  as  a  wave  of  energy  surged  forth  and  the  tree  returned  to  its  natural  state.

  “A  good  day  it  has  not  been  I’m  afraid.  But  who  can  complain  while  travelling  in  the  company  of  such  a  beautiful  lady,”  the  man  said  turning  from  the  tree  to  speak  to  Carn.

  This  close  Carn  could  now  see that  while  the  man  looked  old  he  emanated  a  power  that  demanded  respect  and  courtesies,  “Well  now  your  untangled  from  the tree  my  name  is  Carn  and  this”  Carn  said  holding  his  hand  to  his  side, “is  Mellandra.  And  we  would  be  most  pleased  if  you  tell  us  where  we  could  find  the  wizard  who  lives  in  this  valley.”

  “Well  now  Carn,  Mellandra  that  all  depends  on  why  you  seek  him?”

  “We  wish  to  ask  him  for  help  in  the  village  in  the  next  valley,”  Mellandra  said.

  “In  that  case  please  follow  me,”  the  man  said  as  he  moved  off  through  the  bushes.  As  Mellandra  led  Albaneed  behind  Carn  and  the  man  she  became  more  aware  of  the  roaring  sound  of  fast  flowing  water,  and  one  moment  Mellandra  was  surrounded  by  dense  forest  and  the  next  was  looking  at  large  green  clearing  with  a  beautiful  waterfall  at  the  north  end  sending  myriad’s  of  colours  all  around  them.

  “What  is  this  place?”  Mellandra  asked  raising  her  voice  to  be  heard  over  the  water.

  “It  is  the  home  of  the  Grend  the  wizard”  the  man  said,  “my  home.  So  now  you  know  I  am  the  one  you  seek  what  is  it  that  you  require.”

  “I  will  not  mock  your  intellect  by  saying  we  require  nothing,”  Carn  said,  “But  what  we  require  is  really  quite  mundane,  in  that  we  need  your  help  in  convincing  the  people  to  allow  us  to  test  their  children.  So  those  that  can  be  taught  can  come  with  us. 

“We  also  would  be  most  gracious  if  you  and  your  pupil  would  come  with  us  to  a  place  where  you  can  teach  him  without  all  of  these.......... unsightly  after  effects.”  Carn  replied. 

Grend  stood  with  his  head  cocked  to  one  side  listening  intently until Carn finished.

  “Not much you want then, eh” Grend replied with a look of amusement playing across his old features, “All you said you want me to do is leave my home for so many years and help you convince people I have helped bring in to this world. All of who never wanted or want anything to do with our kind, to come and live surrounded by our kind day in day out the rest of their lives.”

Carn and Mellandra looked at each other abashed because now there needs had been shown from the opposite view they suddenly realised they where asking a lot of the people and Grend and giving nothing in return.

Yet what could they possibly offer to these people that they would want? The school could offer many things but........ What could it offer to peoples friends, families?

  “I know we ask a lot but it would stop all of the storms affecting the town and we could create a portal so the families could visit each other.” Replied Carn.

  “Yes and as u should well know Grend a pupil of such ability will not be missed for long by the necromancers, especially seeing how they have started hunting again people with the ability.” Mellandra  added.

  “Ah yes the necromancers I wondered how long it would take Junda before he decided his ranks needed filling, although news has been filtering down for quite a while now that he’s released the Jungars again to hunt.” Grend said a look of distaste crossing his face.

  “So if you have heard of the Jungars then surely you must realise the threat they impose to your student, for you cannot be there to protect him all hours of the day.”

  “I know this very well Carn and do you not think it worries me, but these people a re very set in there ways and enjoy the peaceful lifestyle they have, creating a portal to the Palace will create unwanted attention.” Grend said a look of deep sadness on his face.

  “Yet it must be as you say so I will talk to the elders and the parents of the children you select and see what I can do.”



© Copyright 2009 Craig (craig1982 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630307-work-in-preogress