*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631192-The-Changed-Friend
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Friendship · #1631192
The party a popular girl was invited to didn't turn out the way she expected.
Word count- 792

"Hey Paula, do you want to come to my New Year's Eve party?" The shyest girl in the whole school asked, handing me an invitation.
"I'd love to Sara, but I have to ask my mom first," I replied. I actually had no intention on going; I just didn't want to sound mean. Sara was super unpopular, and the WORST person for anyone to hang with. It would totally ruin my reputation if I went and my girls found out! Plus, today was the last day of school until the Christmas/New Year break, and during the break, I had better things to do. I would just go home, and never mention it to my mom.
"Well, I hope to see you there!" Sara said, strolling away. I stuck the invitation in my backpack, and hurried over to my next class.

The final bell rung, and people everywhere were rushing through the halls screaming in delight of the break starting. I, too was very excited, and wished my friends a merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I walked to the bus station, and I rode back home.

“Hey Paula!” my 8 year old brother said. He was obviously very excited about the break too. I threw my backpack down to give him a hug.
“Paula, what’s this?” my mom asked, holding up the invitation Sara gave me. Oops! I must not have closed my backpack zipper tight enough! “Oh, an invitation to a New Year’s party! How exciting!”
“Uh, yeah,” I said, very angry at myself. I really didn't feel like telling her I didn't want to go, because that would probably end in a big fight about friendship. Blah blah blah! No problem, she’ll forget by New Year’s Eve.

It was New Year’s Eve, and she hadn’t forgotten.
“Come on Paula, time to go to your New Year’s party!” Crap. At least one of my friends is bound to be there, and I’ll become Ms. Unpopular! I forced myself into my mom’s car, praying this wouldn’t be too bad.

I rang the doorbell to the house. In the blink of an eye, it swung open to Sara’s mom saying, “Welcome to the party!” Well, at least she seemed nice enough. “I’ll go get Sara to tell her you’re here. Make yourself at home!”
Ms. Ramous came back with Sara who greeted me, and showed her where all of the people were.

I saw about 10 there. Traci (The 2nd shyest girl), Dora (definitely not an explorer), Lola (or was it Lulu?), Macy , Cindy (I think...), Hanna (pretty sure she's Sara's best friend), Betsy (the official nerd of the school), Katie (no, It was Kathrine, no, it's Kathrine, but her nickname is Katie? I'm confused!), Sara, and me. I knew no one!
Sara is obviously a mind reader. “There’s no one here that you know because I knew you would be embarrassed. I just really wanted to get to know you, and I want you to be yourself at this party, so please try to have a good time.”
I smiled super-big, and gave her a huge hug. I couldn’t believe I did that, but Sara was definitely a friend I would want forever.

Sara, her friends, and I stayed up all night to see the celebration. Even though none of my friends were there, I made 9 new friends that day. I really did have a good time, just like Sara said I should.

School was back in! I was excited to see both my old and my new friends. "Hey Paula! How're you?" My best friend Samantha asked.
"I'm doin' awesome! How was your break?"
"So cool! We went skiing in Utah!" She exclaimed. The only bad thing about Samantha is that she'll brag sometimes. "What did you do?"
"Nothing really..." my voice trailed off as I saw Hanna and Sara coming towords me.
"Hi Paula!" Hanna said with a smile. I looked over towords Samantha, who looked annoyed.
"Go away! We were kinda talking," Samantha said, with attitude in her voice. Yeah, another thing about Sam is that she can also be mean.
"We were just saying hi to Paula!" Sara said, bravely defending Hanna.
"Well, she doesn't care!" Oh, did I mention... a third thing about Sam is that she doesn't let people speak for themselves. Wow, I had just realized the only reason Samantha was popular was that she was mean! Who would want such a friend?
"Who said I didn't want to say hi?" I said, challenging Samantha. "They're my friends Sam!" I walked away, linking arms with Sara and Hanna, leaving Samantha alone.

Who knows? Maybe Sam will change one day like me, but for now, I have good, true friends.
© Copyright 2009 Evil Nerd (bandgeek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631192-The-Changed-Friend