*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631237-Why-I-Write
Rated: E · Article · Personal · #1631237
Maybe it's time to think about it
Why I Write

This is my first draft of a subject with which my brain is still struggling.

After reading ideas that others have developed on their writing, I decided that I should try to get it straight why I am compelled to stare at a blank page with the hope that something good will materialize.

Unfortunately I was not one who started writing stories for my friends in kindergarten. Even in grade school I was happier organizing baseball teams, performing magic shows and studying the universe. In high school my English teachers were no inspiration. In the architecture school creativity was to be applied frantically 24 hours a day toward world enhancing space (mortar and stone not words).

In fact I never sat down to put anything solely creative on paper until I reached my mid-century milestone. Since then my efforts have had spurts of creativity usually separated by periods of writing inactivity (always something else demanding attention) or writing blah (that is over thinking about what needs to be written without producing a useful product).

With the coming New Year, new decade (missed my chance with new century and millennium) I’m more determined than ever to make writing a priority and develop a routine.

Why?

I get an idea in my head that demands my attention. It requires thought, discussion, refinement and then development and presentation in a form that someone else can understand.

I don’t expect to change the world, but hopefully plant a seed of what I was thinking for a reader to build on and perhaps relate to in a positive way - gaining a new understanding, idea or emotion or looking at the subject in a different light.

There’s nothing wrong with how to articles and recipes but I have a desire to try to create a little bit of art and reach deeper within the soul.

© Copyright 2009 Sharkdaddy (elloy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631237-Why-I-Write