*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632281-The-Legend-of-Poetry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by VJ Mag
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1632281
Tale of mystery and fantasy, and secrets :P ;}
Legend of Poetry



BY

V.J MAG



Part I "The Dream"

CHAPTER-1

"RELAPSE"





“Darkness falls and then

Everything comes to an end

But the light still shines”

Zack sat back in his chair and looked down at his poem. He titled it "Hope". This poem was one of many that made Zack feel proud of him. He felt proud every time he wrote a poem that was praised by someone. His poems always reflect on his life. The poem "Hope" was for the hope that he had kept through his own life.

When Zack was young his parents had died. They’re deaths were mysterious no one knew how they died or who did it, they just knew they were dead. A few years later Zack’s Sister Diane came and picked him up from the orphanage that he was staying at. He spent two years with her, he was just finally opening up to her when she was arrested and charged with recluse endangerment. Zack later found out that she was a meth addicted and had used it around him even though he never knew. It’s been 7 seven years since then and Zack has spent every day in the same orphanage he has been in since his parents died. He was 3 went his parents died. Zack is now 12 and waits for the day he turns 18 then he can leave.

He still has hope that another relative or person or even a stranger would come and take him away from the orphanage. Zack had had many friends but they all had gone and left. He was always the last kid in the orphanage he was always alone. The walls of his room were covered in papers that were cluttered with his poems. He had to be the only kid in the orphanage that had a room all to him, kids usually had to share rooms, and there were only 10 rooms in the orphanage, 2 bathrooms, 1 kitchen and a small playground. The orphanage used to be small a while back when here were 50 kids in the orphanage now there was only one and the place seemed too big. He wrote a poem about how he felt when he walked through the empty hall and looked down at the empty playground that was so quiet you could hear a pin drop from outside the building.

“What was once there is

Now gone and the world seems

Empty forever”

When Zack wrote this poem he titled it "Gone". When he wrote a poem he felt better, he felt like the emotion he felt was blown away from him like a kite caught in a breeze. He always wrote when he was not walking around he was kept in his room. He wanted to be a poet but he doubted it. He had no form of education. All of the caretakers in the orphanage were gone most of them left when most of the other kids went. There were only 3 people left Clarisse the caretaker. She was kind and polite. She helped Zack write some of his poems:

"Your guide for your life

Can’t be changed or altered it

Will always guide you"

He titled this one "Fate". Clarisse always talked about how fate always has something bigger waiting for you in the future. Marvin the activities manager. His motto was “As long as an orphan remained so would he." Marvin was a funny old guy he always acted

Like he was active, Zack always caught him taking naps while the other orphans played. Marvin acted as inspiration for Zack, he wrote many poems about Marvin.

"Lessons of life

Taught in unforgettable

And miserable ways"

He called this one "Paine" he wrote this one because Marvin always knew his limit when the pain started to kick in.

The last person was Agatha an old, rusty, battleaxe that was never happy. Zack stayed far from her. He barely spoke to her. No one even went near her she was extremely scary. But ironically she was a great cook. Her food made up for her attitude. Zack looked up from his poem and at the wall in front of him. He read some of his poems and the memories that were hidden in each one flowed back to him. He remembered good times with his old friend. Charlie his best friend had left 2 yrs ago. He was adopted by a European family. Charlie moved to Europe he and Zack never saw each other since. Zack and Charlie were inseparable. They had met when Zack was 8 he and Charlie had gotten into a lot of trouble. They always stole tastes from the kitchen when they had a chance many times Agatha waved her knife/spoon whatever she had and tried to hit them with it. A grin slid across Zack face he often missed Charlie they where the best of friends. His other friend Isabel had to be the oldest orphan that was here she had always stayed with Zack. They had a special bond, they both knew what it ment to be lonely. Her parents left her when she was 9. She and Zack loved each other like siblings. But she had left when she turned 18 last yr. She was forced to leave. She said she would visit but she never did.

Zack had .Zack started to feel depressed. So he got up from his chair and went for a walk around the orphanage. He figured he’d find Clarisse and talk to her. He left his room and went down the hallway. He looked into every room as he passed. The rooms were all decorated according to its previous inhabitance. Some had pictures and drawings, others had books and stickers, and some even had posters. (This was rare because the orphanage was strictly charity and most orphans had no money)The doors of each room had the names of all of the past orphans. Zack finally peeked around the corner down the stairwell and there was Clarisse. She was on the phone so Zack just waved and headed for the playground. He saw Marvin and ran up to him.

"Iya Zack, what’s up?"

"Nothin Marvin ........ I was just board and wanted to talk to Clarisse, but she’s busy"

"Busy? O she must be preparing for the new un.”

"New? You meen a new orphan?"

"Sure do this one is comin back from a foster home, But wouldn’t get ma hopes up if I were u I hear it’s a 17 yr old he’s just going to stay a year."

"Who cares a new person a friend?"

Zack rushed back to his room. He almost ran over Clarisse as she was going up the stairs.

"Clarisse is it true?"

"What?"

"A new orphan?"

"Oh yes we have a 17yr old young man coming, his name I believe is Miguel. He’s had a rough life almost as bad as yours."

“What do you meen?

"Well his parents are divorced and are incompatible with each other. They blamed Miguel and left him on the streets. He has been moved from foster family to foster family. I think he has gotten over his parents but he has grown a strong hatred to parental people."

"So we do have a lot in common "interpreted Zack.

"Yes you do"

As Zack turned to run to his room with all of his excitement, Clarisse stopped him. " Um Zackary could you just help Agatha in the kitchen we are having a guest tomorrow night shell need some help with the Banquet tomorrow."

Zack's smile drooped to a grin and then to a frown.

“Sure." He moaned.

He went down the stairs and turned the corner and went down the hall and went into the mess hall. Now the mess hall is the eating area, so the kitchen was in the back of it. There is a window towards the back were Agatha gives out the food. Out of the window came and old, wrinkly, crumpled face that just made Zack jump.

“Bout time you got here u slacker" bellowed Agatha

Zack rushed into the kitchen. He ran all around the kitchen. Orders rang through the room. Clean those, mops that, sweep here, pick that up. All Zack did was clean up the kitchen when the kitchen was sparkling, and that you could see yourself on ever surface in the kitchen Zack sat down in a chair and relaxed himself. No less than a second later he heard a raspy and harsh scream from the kitchen. He rushed back into the kitchen and saw Agatha up on a chair pounding the broom on the floor. A rat darted from out of the broom and went behind the door.

“Kill it" screamed Agatha

Instead of killing it Zack picked up the rat in his hand and was taking it out of the kitchen when........... Agatha screamed a loud horribly long scream that was so horribly that Zack dropped the rat. The rodent stood up on its hind legs and then dropped limp on the floor. Zack could not believe what just happened the old battleaxe just killed the rat with her horrible screams!! He then picked up the body and dropped it into the trash

Can.

"How did u do that?" asked Zack

"When u has a fear of rodents as big as me u can kill it without touch em, since you've gotten rid of the creature I guess u can take a break for while"

Zack happily took this time to go to his room and write the first poem that Agatha had given to him.

"Boundaries that cause

Limitations to our

Hopes dreams and future"

He put the title fear on this poem and pinned it up on his wall. Thousands and thousands of poems that Zack had written, all over his room. An hour or so later Zack had gone back down stairs to the kitchen. This time Agatha and Zack cooked. First they cooked today’s diner and then they worked on food to cook tomorrow. Zack wondered what banquet Clarisse was talking about all they had were chicken, bread, potatoes, corn, and some cookies.

Then again this never seemed like a lot since Zack usually ate with about 50 other kids. After dinner Zack went upstairs back to his room and wrote his last poem of the day.

"Something that comes back

Feelings, emotions, Paine, anger

They always come back" His last poem of the day was titled "Relapse".



Chapter-2

"The Answers"



Clarisse, Agatha, Marvin, and Zack waited outside in front of the old rot wood door that "kept" the bad people outside of the orphanage. The never worked orphans would leave dead at night; people would come in the orphanage at night. No one knew till the morning but by then it was too late. The police people pulled up in their white and blue police car. Zack always hated the site of the police car. They always picked up wandering kids that looked either homeless or underage. They always picked up Zack when he snuck out.

The back door opened and a tall, slender, Latino boy stepped out if the back seat. He wore white sneaker, a white shirt and black pants. Miguel was the exact opposite of Zack's short, brawny figure. Miguel had dark, deep, blue eyes. Zack had green and blue eyes that were really, extremely white. Zack’s eyes glow like light bulbs in the dark. Zack’s only better feature was his amber hair it shone over Miguel’s jet black hair. Miguel walked up to the group.

"Hi"

"Hello" greeted Clarisse

"Iya" said Marvin

"Mmmmm" grunted Agatha

"Hello" said Zack

Well as awkward as the greetings were Miguel was even awkward-er. He just walked up stairs to the rooms and that was it no paper, story, background, not even a glance at the food Zack and Agatha had prepared. Well there was nothing else to do everyone sat down to eat.

"Wat a strange young man" interpreted Clarisse

"Strange? He’s a damn right lunatic" rasped Agatha

“O lighten up Aggie u old cow the boys been threw a lot" mused Marvin

“Shut up you old piece a……." started Agatha

“Let us just eat dinner, and then Zack can u takes some food up to him your done" interrupted Clarisse

"Sure" replied Zack who was determined to make friends with this boy if it was the last thing he does. After diner Zack hastily stacked food on a plate and charged up the stairs to scour the rooms to find Miguel. When he was done Miguel was nowhere to be found. But that was impossible there’s no way out of the orphanage from up stairs, unless u looking for a 10 foot drop. Another quick sweep of the rooms and Miguel was nowhere! Zack went back to his room to put down the plate. Just as he was about to leave the room a whole the size of a pin opened upon the floor. Then a red and black beam shot up from the hole and hit the ceiling. It gradually expanded until the hole and the beam were the size of a person. Then the light exceeded back into the hole leaving a dark figure in front of Zack. Staring in awe Zack did not any he could not move. “CRAP IM GONNA DIE” screamed Zack in his head. Then the dark figure came into focus. It was Miguel! Immediately Zack shut the door grabbed the bat that was leaning on the wall and held it toward Miguel.

“Wat the hell was that?" shouted Zack

"What?" said Miguel acting stupid

“The freaking light, you popping up from the freaking floor"

"Uh that, that was uh ....... u better sit down"

"Why what do u want just say it before I freak-out and crack this bat over your head"

“Alright, alright first of all u going to have to sit down" reluctantly Zack sat down on the bed. He still held the bat in hand.

“First of I think u should know how your parents really died"

“How would u know how they......"

"SHUT UR FACE AND LETME EXPLAIN" BELOWED Miguel

“You should also know that after we talk you’re going to have to leave with me right away"

"Why?"

"Okay the reason for the whole hole and light thing was because I can travel from here no anywhere to the underworld. And I’m not the only one your friends Charlie and Isabel can do it too."

"How?"

There is an ancient prophecy that had said:

"The One That Writes This

He and the ones around him

Shall Save All of Us"

“That is not a prophecy that one of my poems" Zack ran up to the wall behind his bed and pulled of a poem titled "The Heroes"

“Then u r the one I knew it u were the only thing the Charlie and Isabel had in common. Alright then know um... does u know how your parents died?"

"NO" he said abruptly

"okay then your mother and father were killed by geist or underworld creatures, the geist lords new your parents would give birth to the child of the

prophecy and sought to kill u before u were born but they were 3 yrs late and didn’t know until a week ago and now there rushing to the orphanage to kill u so if u want to protect the people here u and I have to leave know" said Miguel as fast as he possibly could.

Surprisingly no words/insults/remarks were shot back at Miguel he looked up. Zack had fainted on the floor.

"Perfect" remarked Miguel surprisingly

He simply picked up Zack and then stepped back. The hole then the light and Miguel and Zack faded out of the room. It seemed like Zack a dream what had just happened but Zack new it was all real Miguel, the light, the story everything was real. Zack got up and saw he was in a cavern of some sort. It was real dark and scary in there. Red light glowed from cracks in the rock. The stalagmites and dripped red liquid onto the floor the stalactites glowed black and red lights that shone like the moon in the dead of night. Zack circled himself to see everything. Then he felt something touch his foot he looked down and screamed. A huge snake an anaconda wrapped itself around Zack’s legs it looked like it was relaxed like it was there for a while, but that can’t be right he would be dead by now if that were true. What was weirder was that the snake had not attacked Zack yet. He was sure the snake was not hostile.

“Zack a familiar voice rang through the cave"

“Isabel" Zack shouted

He ran toward the voice but the snake was still wrapped around his legs so he fell over. Isabel ran toward him. She looked down to the snake and said

“U can let go know Sha"

The snake recoiled from Zack’s leg and wrapped around Isabel from arm to arm.

“Did u just talk to the snake? Or have I lost it?"

“No, u haven’t lost it u twit"

“Charlie!"

Zack ran up to Charlie and stopped a foot in front of him and simply patted him on back. Zack really wanted to huge Charlie but somehow that would be too much.

“So u were telling me the truth then"

"Yep" said Charlie, Isabel, and Miguel together.

Miguel led them back to a fire that glowed purple! They sat around it and everything was unraveled to Zack.

"So then first things first how did all of u meet?"

Charlie spoke first “After I was adopted I found out that the people weren’t really European they were actually geist. The kidnapped me and dragged me down to a cell in some underworld prison."

"Sounds ruff" said Zack

"It was I would be dead if at the same moment Issy and Miguel didn’t burst through the doors and slaughter all of them"

"Cool, but how did u and Miguel meet up Issy?"

"Well that was a funny story really I was on my way to visit the orphanage like I said and well I saw Miguel, getting attacked by some

Gang bangers. When I got close they immediately turned on me. Then Miguel grabbed me and we came here."

“So know what’s your story Miguel “asked Zack

“My parents were killed along time ago. Geist impersonated them and when I found out I ran away."

Miguel’s grin came to an abrupt halt, his face got all serious and dark.

“OOOOO okay so I bet your wondering about that snake thing huh Zack" said Isabel trying the change the subject.

“Yeah how did u do that?”

"Well we all have special powers apparently. I can talk and persuade animals. That how we got Sha I found her in a forest down here."

“There’s a forest down here? How big is this place?"

"That’s not important right now we have to find out what u can do. Come everyone join hands.

Zack's hand slide into Isabel’s Charlie grabbed Isabel’s other hand and Miguel held Zack and Charles free hands. Bigger hole appeared below them this time a bigger pulse of light devoured them and the cave they were in was left empty.







Chapter-3

"The Inner Power"

Minutes later then beam shot the gang up into a hollow. An eerie forest engulfed them with withered branches and dead leaves. The trees could a face fear to even the bravest of men. Zack felt like crying out of fear.

'Where are we?" asked Zack

“This is the training grounds. Here we shall see what your power within is" answered Miguel

"Cool how would we find that?"

“Simple! What drives u life what do u enjoys doing?"

"Well that’s easy poetry, but if been write and reciting poems and nothing freaky ever happened."

"That’s true" agreed Charlie

"That’s because u need to focus on something specific, U she for Issy she had to focus on the animal when she talked to it."

"And I have to focus on the things around me" added Charlie

"Plus Miguel has to focus on the rage inside him" added Isabel

"Wait what r your powers then?" asked Zack

Both Miguel and Charlie turned and face opposite trees. Miguel took a deep breath in and exhaled. He thrusted his had forward rapidly and bright purple sparks erupted from his palm. From sparks they turned into flames that charred the trees to black stubs in the ground. Charlie had closed his eyes and put his palms together. He paused for a couple of seconds then the tress around him dragged themselves off the ground and dance around Charlie in the air, then Charlie separated his hands and brought them back and then forward the trees crashed into the a large dead oak. Splinters rained down on the spot where the oak use to be.

“Don’t think I can do any of that" blurted Zack

"Of course u cant ours powers r different from each other’s" agreed Isabel

"Just concentrate on something anything “added Charlie

Zack closed his eyes and concentrated on the one thing that came to his mind the world above the world that he wanted to go back to.

"Now say something a poem recites one" interrupter Charlie.

Zack didn’t know what he was doing he just said what came to his mind.

"Surface so smooth and

Hard edges so jagged and

Strong please help me now"

With those words a line of dust sprayed through the ground. The closer it got to the forest the more of it came up. When it got to the tree it erupted into a gigantic mountain of jagged rock spires. The tree was half broken the spire hit it in a sort of slant the squired it and at the same time broke it in half. Zack looked up and in amazement and awe he saw the spire and couldn’t believe that he did that.

"Did I do that?”

"Yah u did" stuttered Miguel

"Cool"

"Amazing" added Charlie

"Extravagant" added Isabel

"Alright I imagine that we must be very tired so y don’t we set up came?"

"Wat about food" questioned Zack

"Oh right one of use goes up top to get food its Charles turn, tomorrow you’ll do it k" answered Isabel

"Sure y not"

A tiny beam of light swallowed Charlie and he was gone. After they had finished setting up camp Charlie came back with his arms full of fruit and bread

"Dinner anyone" he called

After an appetizing meal of fruit sandwiches Zack just had to ask " you've stolen from Agatha’s kitchen plenty of time and all u got was fruit and bread"

"Hey it’s not my fault were under some old raggedy village, let’s see what u get tomorrow then."

“Bet I can do better" jeered Zack

"You’re on" agreed Charlie.

Everyone settled in for a nights rest. Zack awoke to a terrible and horrifying scream. He jumped up everyone was gone he was alone! Not only that but he was no longer in the forest he was in an open meadow. All around him the ground was smeared in blood going off in all direction. Screams coming from everywhere. People crying and begging for mercy.

Zack looked around the place seemed familiar but he couldn’t place a name on it. Before he could explore more he was dragged out of his nightmare into reality. He was soaked in sweat. He looked around everyone was asleep and they were still in the creepy forest. Zack got up. He headed down into the forest a little bit. He wanted to practice with his powers some more. Zack thought about the ocean this time in hopes of conjuring some water. He opened his mouth but nothing came to him. He thought about rivers, lakes, ponds anything. Nothing happened. He concentrated harder, this time he felt something, but before anything could happen........

"Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" the screech split the air like a knife through butter. It was so horrid it was twice as bad as the screech Agatha had emitted when she saw the rat. Zack rushed back to the camp to warn the others. But to his horror the screech had come from camp. Miguel, Isabel ,and Charlie where enclosed in a semicircle around a boulder by these black demons with blood red eyes, razor sharp talons, large black wings with silvery points their faces were all squished together and their mouths held jagged knives that Zack guessed were their teeth. The 5 creatures bounded over to Zack like a pack of wild wolves, except they broke into a kind of glide. They hovered just above the ground and charged and full speed. Zack tried the poem he used last time. He closed his eyes recited the lines again:

"Surface so smooth and

Hard edges so jagged and

Strong please help me now"

This time 5 spikes grew out of the ground and rushed toward the creatures. The spikes and the creatures hit each other directly. But all the rock did was push them back. Zack closed his eyes and thought of an erupting volcano. This time words came to him:

"So fierce, angry, rage full

Destroying everything in

Its path of glory"

At first nothing happened then geysers of magma erupted from the ground everything was dead on, the creatures burned up under the immense heat. Just when everything was looking OK more screeches came from off in the distance. More of the creatures rained down from the sky. A great ball of purple flame hit the sky and the creatures were knocked back higher into the sky, some even fell down to the ground charred and burned. Isabel used Sha like a whip and she lashed the snake around in a haze of emerald green and its fangs tore into the creatures. The last thing that Zack saw was Charlie rushing towards him. Zack fainted and collapsed on the floor again.





Chapter-4

"Reality"

Charlie, Isabel, and Miguel were surrounded. They readied themselves for a fight. Just then Zack burst through the forest. The creatures immediately charged him. Before they could do anything Zack quickly dispersed them with two quick spells.

But more rained down from the sky. Charlie was quick this time he closed his eyes and his mind went dark. He saw the first five creatures clear as day in his mind. He moved his hands rapidly and he manipulated the thrashing geist. The creatures were pushed so far back into the sky that they hit their fellow comrades and soon 10 geist fell to the floor like sacks of flour. Isabel and Miguel worked together flawlessly Miguel propelled flames at the creatures. This drove them to Isabel and she whipped Sha around them lashing them with the snake’s poisonous fangs. Charlie looked across the battlefield. Zack was acting strange. His knees were buckling, he was swaying, he looked like he was about to tip over. Charlie ran towards. Zack fell to the floor.

“We have to go now!" screamed Charlie. He then swiped his hand and a few of the attackers were knocked aside. Isabel and Miguel ran up. Miguel and Charlie propped Zack up. Isabel pointed here arm to the ground.

“Ray do your stuff" she whispered at her shoulder. A small, red and black spider crawled down out of her sleeve and leapt to the ground. First a black hole appeared under the spider. It expanded until everyone was in it. Then they fell down into the whole and popped back out on a peak high above the ground. Charlie and Miguel placed Zack down the floor.

"Would u mind explaining?" asked Charlie

"Hey my powers r different from yours I do need some help." retorted Isabel

She placed Sha on the ground and the snake coiled up in its self and continued its sleep.

"What about Zack?" asked Isabel "What happened to him?"

“He used his power more than he should have, he’s probably just tired now let him sleep, we all should go back to sleep

We have a lot to-do and tomorrow. Including tell Zack about the mission at hand."

They lay down on the ground and simply slept for the remainder of the night. Charlie awoke in the middle of the night, Isabel was sitting at his feet. She wore a concerned look on her face.

"What’s wrong" asked Charlie

"Nothing it’s just..... Why r we here? What is the purpose of all of this? And most importantly" she stressed this point a lot " Who is Miguel?” Was it a coincidence that he happened to find me when I was attacked or was it an accident when we found u in that prison? Things just don’t make sense anymore"

It took Charlie minutes to understand what Isabel was saying.

"I don’t know" he said

She turned and looked at Zack "I don’t believe this prophecy thing at all, I think he’s lying to us. I just don’t see any truth in what he’s telling us".............................







Zack's hand smacked the alarm clock and the horrible screeching came to a stop. He sat up his short, dirty brown hair was a mess. Have of it shot upward the other half shot out in front of his face. His bight green eyes took several, minutes to adjust to the bright light of the sun. He was going over what he had just dreamed. Zack was sure he didn’t know any Miguel, Charlie or Isabel. He was sure he was not an orphan and he was pretty sure he that he did not write any poems about a dark and dreary live style that he didn’t have. Why did he have such a strange dream? Zack looked at the clock it read 9:51 pm. Wait that didn’t seem right did he sleep the whole day away? Zack got up got dresses and walked down stairs. His mom and dad were sitting down at the table with his sister Meena about to eat dinner.

"You’re finally up" exclaimed his mom

"We didn’t want to disturb you, you were sound asleep" added his dad

"You missed the whole day, lazy bones" boasted Meena

Meena was the same age as Zack. They were born in the same year Meena how ever was the oldest by 9months she was born in January Zack was born in May. She had her long red curls pulled back in a sort of knot/ponytail in the back of her head; her shady blue eyes were less dark without her masking them. Her soft inviting face usually drew all the attention so she always tried thousands of ways of hiding her not so appealing eyes. On the other hand Zack was not the one to judge his green eyes always caught everyone’s attention. But not in the same way. In more of an "eeeeeewwww your eyes are the same color as puke" kind of way. His messy brown hair always hid his eyes and his broad face always told people to stay away. Zack looked almost scary sometimes but he really wasn’t. He was kind and intellectual and he always looked out for his obnoxious sister.

"What’s for breakfast um I mean diner"

"Chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes" replied his mom

She passed him a plate with two giant mountains of potatoes, three of the biggest pieces of chicken, and a stack of crisp green beans. Zack didn’t feel very hungry but once he started eating he didn’t stop till the plate was licked clean. After diner and after Meena ran up to her room. Zack helped his parents clean and clear the table. Whenever thing was done Zack told his parents about his crazy dream.

"That’s some sort of dream" exclaimed his mother

"It must of been something u saw on TV last night" added his father

"No it wasn’t I didn’t see anything like that"

"It was just a dream, now go and um do something were done here" said his mother

Zack reluctantly walked out of the room. That was strange he thought to himself why they were so quick to change the subject. Did they know something? He thought about this for several minutes and dismissed it. He thought maybe his parents were fine and he himself was paranoid.







PART II "The beginning"

Chapter-5

“The Secret”





Zack stayed up all night. He couldn’t sleep anymore. He did sleep all through the day. So he stayed up watching late night television. It took 7 hours to realize there was nothing on at night. He got up and trudged to the backyard. He figured he’d get a little bit of fresh air since he was in the house all day. He found himself dosing off every few minutes so he dragged himself into the house .He looked up at the clock 3'o clock in the morning. He gloomily trudged up the stair. He was about to drop on his bed when he heard a loud thump come from the next room. His parent’s room. Zack cracked open the door what he saw was unbelievable. His sister, mother and father were ringed in a circle. In the middle of their circle was a small stone bigger than a pebble but not as big as a normal sized brick. It had a strange rune shape on it. Zack couldn’t make out the rune but he did see that it was glowing in a strange blue and green color. When the stone began to float in the air an form a small circle Zack shut the door. Turn to his bed. He figured it was another dream. He thought if he went to bed he’d wake ,but after a few hours of restless sleep he began to wonder. Could his family be the people from his dream? Nah his parents aren’t magical, their the only people in the world that actually dress up a fruit cake for every holiday. Their 100% real all-American .people. Their not magical.













The next day breakfast was dull. Zack sat at one end his parents sat on the other end Meena sat in the middle. He picked at his food. The question was plaguing him. Is my family magical? Zack went for a walk. He went to the woods just outside of the neighborhood. This was his favorite place because he could be at peace. He figured he’d have time to think about his question. It somehow didn’t bother him that his family might be crazily over powered beings that could probably destroy the world or perhaps that there are demons and monsters and that his family is risking their lives to save the world. It was just so hard to believe that his family had magical abilities. He walked down his favorite path along the edge of the trees were the lake’s shore met the forests grain and created a beautiful wavy pattern of grain and sand. The path was worn with Zack’s own feet steps. He walked this path so many times that he knew every single stone along it.

He looked up at the trees. The beautiful golden leaves of autumn were amazing. The squirrels ran through the trees scattering bronze acorns and scarlet leaves to the floor. Zack came upon the old abandoned mansion that stood in the middle of the forest. Zack often imagined who had lived here. From what was left he imagined that the owner loved animals.

The weather stained lions perched on the stone gate. Looked elegant, and noble. The faded crimson eagles perched on the iron work frame of the door looked bold and majestic. The golden door knob was a tiny version of what looked like the head of a steer. Zack stared at the house in amazement. H e still couldn’t believe that this place was just left here abandoned. Zack opened the gate. It creaked eerily. He never stepped foot in the house he always just walked up to it touch the door knob and walked away. Zack approached the door. It hovered over the knob. Was nervous. What could be on the other side? He was curious. He began to turn away. “AH freak it” he thought. He turned back jerked his hand and opened the door. It gave a loud eerie creek. It slowly opened.

The inside of the house not as marvelous as the outside. It was dark and bleak. Dim light shone through the dark windows. It gave small spotlights across the mat. From what Zack could see the place was a ruin. The rugs were torn in various places. The remnants of the furniture were shattered in pieces. Broken lights and glass covered the floor. The strangest thing of was that there was a musky odor coming from an area nearby. Zack walked through the house paintings hang on the wall were missing frames or the picture itself some were even torn apart. Thick dust covered everywhere. Zack followed his nose to the source of the odor. It was in a room that had pink flower wallpaper that was torn around the corners. One of the windows was cracked. From the window Zack saw an amazingly overgrown group of weeds that almost reached the window.

He looked around the room. The odor was coming from the nearby closet. Zack reached out grasped the knob and opened the door. Inside was a small wooden crate covered with small white stars and black half moons the box itself was bright blue. Zack picked it up. He pressed it up against his nose. He jerked his nose away. It stank, a vile odor that smelt like rotten eggs and year old onions. He opened the crate the smell vanished instantaneously. Inside was a small blue book cover in leather and bound with a shimmering golden thread that was faded and dirty. Zack picked up the book, he put down the crate. He flipped through the book quickly. It had mindless phrases and words in it. The words, letters and sentences were scrabbled. Zack read the first one he saw:

“TIVCATAE HET HIWT NI” Zack looked at it and read it repeatedly. It didn’t make any sense at all. He reread and reread. After the thousandth time he stuffed the book in his back pocket. He went out the door and was in front of the gate. He starred at the odd and bleak house. He studied the animals perched on the house again.

The wind started to pick up. The words came to his mouth, the words rolled off his tongue.

“MEOC TO FELI YM OLD

NEIDRFS FO RNBZEO NAD NESTO DIA EM

HITW YM SMEORHAD SKATS”

The statues started moving; at first it was like a tremble then a shake. Stone and concrete fell from the statue pedestals. Dust rained to the floor. The eyes gleamed golden. The eagles moved their wings, the necks of the lions craned higher and higher into the air. The steer on the door jumped out of the handle. I turned into an elegant bull, with massive silver horns. It gave a bellow that could shatter windows. The lions leapt down from the gates and roared even louder The eagles leapt into the air soaring higher and higher. They all started to rush towards Zack.

He looked up. He was starring in disbelief. The amazing stone creatures that covered the house were standing before him. The eagles and lions formed ranks like a massive stone army. Behind them were horribly disfigured statues. They looked like gargoyles with massive fangs and horrible eyes that were wide and formed a monstrous glare. Huge horns jutted from their heads some had stubs others had horns that curled up to the sky. The were crouched on the floor like monkeys. They must have been hidden in the back of the house. What kind of person owned this house thought Zack.

The bull was in the front of the creatures. It raised its head and starred at Zack. Zack starred back .He had a glaring match with the bull. A few minutes later he ran, he ran faster than ever. He wanted to get away from there. He burst through the door of his house. He rushed up the stairs and slammed his bedroom door. He locked it and laid on his bed. He took the book out of his pocket and flipped through it . The cover was covered in the same time of rune he saw in his “dream” about his family. The pages were covered with letters from the English language. They were all jumbled though. There were no visible words.

The thought that his family might not be as normal as he thought flashed through his mind.



© Copyright 2010 VJ Mag (moghunter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632281-The-Legend-of-Poetry