*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632607-Nicholas-Water-Balloon-War
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1632607
Short story about an annual water balloon fight in my neighborhood.
Nicholas' Water-Balloon War

I really like my neighborhood, more specifically my cul-de-sac. Unlike so many subdivisions in our area they did not clear cut all the trees and have a tract builder come in and build the same 5 or 6 houses over and over. There were several builders who just cut down the trees that were necessary to build the houses. Therefore, no two houses are exactly alike and we have beautiful oaks, sweet gums and pines throughout our neighborhood. This part is nice but the best part of my cul-de-sac are the neighbors.
Directly across the street from me lives a young family with a little boy named Nicholas. We have lived here for several years and he has always been a frequent visitor to my home. When he was about five his mother would watch from the door as he crossed the street to my house. He would come to the door and ask “Miss Candy, can I borrow a movie?”
“Of course you can, Sweetheart.” was always the answer and he would go to the shelf and pick out the movie he wanted. I would always try to have a treat for him too like a Popsicle on a hot day or home made cookies with extras to take home. He would usually dawdle around for a few minutes before heading home with his movie and treat.
A few years ago, I was out in the yard watering the flowers when he and his father came over to chat. After a few minutes, Nicholas asked “Miss Candy, Can I do that?” indicating the water hose.
“Sure you can, Honey.” I said as I handed him the hose.
Needless to say he had no intention of watering the flowers and proceeded to soak his father and I as he chased us around the yard. This is one of those belly laugh events when you just let loose and have fun. Hot Georgia summer nights what could be more refreshing than a blast from the water hose.
This is how Nicholas and the water balloon wars started. We decided on a weekend night for our water-balloon war. We bought balloons and spent hours filling them and putting them in laundry baskets. The night of , it was my two sons, daughter, and myself against the neighbors Mom, Dad, Nicholas and his sister. It was a hard fought battle and it ended in a tie. Nicholas had the time of his life  and so did we.
Now, every summer Nicholas will ask “Miss Candy,when are we having my water-balloon war?” and we start planning all over. My sons are both out of the house now, but they usually come home just for the battle. It has grown to include some of the other neighborhood kids and their families. But as far as I am concerned it will always be Nicholas' Water balloon War.
© Copyright 2010 willowonez (willowonez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632607-Nicholas-Water-Balloon-War