*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632780-A-Hundred-Cliches
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Internet/Web · #1632780
You keep falling back into the cliche knowing that life just isn't like the movies anymore
A hundred Clichés

By Wynter Express



Definition: A cliché is a phrase or opinion that is overused showing lack of originality or imagination.



There are so many clichés in this world today. There are so many different fairytale dreams a girl can have, a million different perfect endings we see in the movies, the books and we find ourselves wishing that it was our life that it was happening in. We believe that the cliché is a perfect thing, the epitome of sheer perfection but if I was given the ultimatum I would choose life over my favourite cliché. Ok, that is a lie. I would definitely pick my favourite cliché over my life any day.



You see, we always think that hey, it’s happened to this girl in the movie, or that girl I read about, what about that story in the newspaper? Why can’t it happen to little ol’ me? My life fits into the context perfectly so why not let it be fate? So many birthday wishes are wasted on these petty dreams we fail to let go of even after we leave adolescence far behind.



Honestly, how many of you have dreamed of meeting your favourite hunk from a movie and praying he’ll fall for you and you guys live happily ever after? Everyone? We seem to want that particular cliché so much, like a modern day Cinderella story waiting to happen [like in Another Cinderella Story] and I won’t lie, I have done my fair share of wishing being the normal teenage girl I am but it never comes true.



Think of all those wasted shooting stars when you say something like “I wish I could meet Robert Pattinson or Taylor Lautner.” It’s basically like wishing for a pony and I bet you thought you left those days behind you. I sit here staring at my computer as I write this and realize that even after I am finished, this posted and someone already possibly reading this that I will still go to sleep asking for the unlikely possibility of just meeting them. I mean, I’m an island girl, Barbados island girl, the chances of me meeting any famous person are one in zero. So unlikely. I mean you hear about them coming here but you never see them, it’s kinda creepy actually.



All the girls I hang out with think about meeting the Twilight hotties, every single one [even Prudish Selia] but we know [and we always say after saying the most ridiculous things we would do if we meet them] “It’s never gonna happen” or “What are the chance of that?”



There are a hundred clichés and I’ve probably experienced every single one of them, from falling for your best guy friend to being used in a bet [never with a happy ending mind you] but we are all stuck on this one stupid cliché.



I go to school at the “best” school on the island and you know what we all dream about? Moving away from here. We believe there are better things far, far away from this hellhole you call a paradise simply because we never experience anything you call normal there.



We’ve never been screaming at premieres or gotten autographs, never stayed overnight to get the newest Harry Potter book or been to a school dance [cuz we simply don’t have school dances]. We may have the beach but you just don’t go there all the time.



And when I move to Canada I bet you all my friends and I will be wishing my Dad could get a transfer to EA Games in Vancouver so I could invite them up and we could go start searching but of course that isn’t going to happen. It’s too cliché for my life.



I’ll move to boring old London Ontario and go to high school there, being the total nerd I am, I’ll spend all my time on the computer and never make a new friend. Maybe I should stay in the hot sun and live life out on the beachfront but it’s too late for that, the ticket’s already bought and my life will move on life normal.



Sorry for wasting your time if you actually read this but I’m off to go look out my window and dream some more…

© Copyright 2010 Wynter Express (wynterstorm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632780-A-Hundred-Cliches