*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633380-Js-Mr-Theo
by mak2
Rated: E · Draft · Children's · #1633380
all about symbolism and separation anxiety
Jasper and Mr. Theo are inseparable.  Everywhere Jasper goes Mr. Theo tags along. He never goes anywhere without Mr. Theo beside him. Mr. Theo is his best friend and he would cry if someone took Mr. Theo away. But Jasper needs to go to school and Mr. Theo is not allowed in the playschool.

On his first day at playschool, Jasper entered the classroom with Mr. Theo. He never saw so many children before all of them playing and picking up toys in the toy box if not toys they pick up the books on the shelves. A woman approach Jasper and his parents.

“I don’t like her.” Jasper said to himself as hold on to Mr. Theo tightly in his arms.

“Hello there.” the stranger greeted them with a smile.

“You must be Jasper. I am Teacher Aimee. My you have a cute bear with you.” The stranger introduced herself as she extended her hand for a hand shake but little Jasper just ignored it and hold on to Mr. Theo.

“His not a cute bear his name is Mr. Theo.” Jasper answered rudely

“J? She is your teacher. She will teach you lots of things.” Jasper’s mother said in a calm manner.

“Son, you will just be here for an hour or two and you get to learn and make new friends.” Jasper’s father added

“Don’t want to stay here.” Jasper responded in a grouchy manner.

“J, Daddy and I are going to work we promise to pick you up after school and we will wait for you just outside with Mr. Theo.” His mother said

“No! Mr. Theo will be with me.” Jasper answered angrily.

“J, Mr. Theo is not allowed in school. You see Mr. Theo is not a student here.” Teacher Aimee said with a smile.

“You will have new friends here don’t you want to have new friends? “ Teacher Aimee added

“Mr. Theo is my friend.” Jasper said and looked at his mother. “Mommy I want to go home.”

“Now, Jasper we cannot go home it’s your first day in school. “ His father replied

“J, your classmates also have their Mr. Theo’s and they have left them with their mom and dad. I tell you what if you and your classmates are not happy I will allow you and your classmate to bring their Mr. Theo’s to school too.” Teacher Aimee said

“But first you have to learn join the other boys and girls in learning. Do we have an agreement?” Teacher Aimee added

Jasper looks at his parents and seeing them smile in such approval he then look at Mr. Theo and hugged it tightly and gave it to his mother.

“Mommy you should bring Mr. Theo along with you later.” Jasper said sweetly to his mother.

“I will, I promise.” His mother responded and kissed Jasper’s cheek.

“Who knows after your class you have lots of story to tell to Mr. Theo. “ Jasper's father added and kissed his cheek.

“Shall we go inside?” Teacher Aimee asked Jasper extending her hand. As Jasper took her hand with uncertainty and entered the room.

“Ok everyone let us form a circle.” Teacher Aimee said as all the children in the room started sitting on the blanket laid on the floor and Jasper sat beside his teacher.

Jasper got to learn a new song and didn’t worry about anything. He is occupied with the stories being read by their teacher and the activities they all play. By 11:30 a.m. as Jasper came out from the front yard of the school he saw his parents waiting outside and he smiled seeing that his mother has never forgotten to bring Mr. Theo along.

From then on, Mr. Theo always accompanies Jasper in going to playschool and waits for Jasper in the car for him to see and talk to after school.

MORAL LESSON: Comfort zones are important to children in a stage of Separation Anxiety. Some children find comforts with a certain toy and they don’t want it to be separated from then. Teaching kids to trust and let go to some of the comfort object they are accustomed to  needs time, patience, and understanding. Showing them a happy environment and getting them involved with other activities will slowly make them believe in themselves and trust other people.
© Copyright 2010 mak2 (iank2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633380-Js-Mr-Theo