*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635993-The-Country-King---A-Parable
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #1635993
Short parable about a boy from the country that is believed to be a king.
The Country King

A Parable


I. Prologue


         In the country lived a boy who was believed to be the true king. Rumor was that the boy, as an infant, was sent to the country, but that the kingdom would one day welcome him back. The small country village was proud of this boy and his story. This famed boy possessed a rusty old sword that was said to have been passed down from kings of old. The boy tirelessly honed the sword's edge and when flashing it in the countryside with pride, the people would smile and clap.

II. Departure


         Eventually the day came when the boy was to leave the country and return to his kingdom. The people were saddened by the boy's departure, but they accepted his destiny - for their love of the boy was too great to deny him his place as king. They tied a wreath of flowers into the boy's hair and draped a red sheet about his shoulders. Then the boy raised his old sword and paraded out of the village. With heavy hearts the village people cried out wishes of luck and safety. The boy, their king, reassured them with a smile and departed in a flourish of red.

III. Arrival


         Soon the boy came to the walls of the great city, outside of which sat an old man wrapped in an ugly brown sheet. This old man looked imploringly at the boy and he was struck with a feeling he had seen this old man before. The boy, believing he no longer needed it, gave the old man his red sheet that served as a cape. Now the old man, taking the sheet, glimpsed the boy's old sword and his face grew even more grave. Tears filled his eyes and the boy went on his way wondering about this strange old man.

IV. Ascension


         The sun was setting as the boy walked the strange new streets of the city. He flashed his sword in glee, but he met no smiles or clapping. Finding the castle, the boy was pointed down a long hall with a large door at its end. The boy heaved the heavy door open and found a man surrounded by many parchments. About to introduce himself, the boy heard from among the parchments, "You have something to show?"
         "Yes," the boy stated proudly and presented the man his kingly sword.
         To his surprise, the man merely glimpsed the sword then let it drop with a brittle clang onto a pile of rusted blades. "Junk," he replied wearily.
         Horror filled the boy. About to protest, he was again interrupted by the man, "Examine them if you like, but you'll find them all identical. Daily, we receive boys claiming to be kings. It appears we have an epidemic."
         The boy picked up his sword and another and compared the two. It was true, they were identical, but his own was a bit duller. He cut the flowers from his hair and returned the swords to the pile. He wandered for a moment if he should be angry. Angry with the man or angry with the village? No, he decided he shouldn't be angry with anyone. The people believed in him with their entire hearts.
         "You may leave through that door," the man indicated to a door in back, "you'll find it much easier than the other."
         Brushing the last bit of flowers from his hair, the boy walked to the door and pushed it open with ease.

V: Epilogue


         The door opened into an alley filled with the red of the dying sun. Looking into the redness, an idea formed in the boy's mind. He smiled to himself and started down the alley. "Perhaps," he thought, "I will become a fisherman."
© Copyright 2010 The Wild Mouse (wild_mouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635993-The-Country-King---A-Parable