*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636442-PARADOX---Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1636442
If you enjoy reading James Rollins, Jack DuBrul, or Andy McDermott, you’ll love this one!
April 23, 2012 – Somewhere in Northern Italy



His private line rang just as he was about to take a sip of the excellent Chardonnay he had been anticipating all afternoon. Annoyed, Dominic quickly grabbed the cell phone from his breast pocket and flipped it open. “Speak!” he growled into the receiver.

“They opened it,” a heavily accented voice stated on the other end of the line.

“And?” He asked in an authoritative tone.

“The German Cultural representative and lawyer left with a packet of old documents. The American and Fraulein Wolff found something after they left which they did not share with the others.”

“Was it what we are searching for?”

“No, but it could be a clue to where it is.”

“Follow them,” he ordered. “Do not lose them. Keep me informed.”

Dom hung up and stared into the glass of Chardonnay. After taking a sip of the excellent wine, he opened his cell phone again and dialed another number. This number was not kept in the phone directory for security purposes but memorized by each member of the organization. A voice speaking in Italian answered.

“It’s begun.’ Dominic quietly whispered into the phone. “The German ragazza has opened Pandora’s box.”

“Was the item with the remains of Paula Hitler?” An aging voice asked with a tone of anticipation and resignation.

“My contact said they extracted a set of documents which they passed to an attorney and a representative of the German government. After they left the room Fraulein Wolff found another piece of document which they kept to themselves. Obviously they are on the trail of some information gleaned from this last piece of paper.”

“Your interpretation of the events? The voice continued.

“I immediately ordered a thorough background check on both the attorney and the German representative. They are not to be trusted,” Dominic stated. “Whatever bargain they made with the American and German girl will not be kept, especially if it involves hidden Nazi treasure, as we suspect. In fact, I believe both are in eminent danger.”

“We cannot allow that to happen.” The voice was low. “They may have information which may lead us to the recovery of that which rightfully belongs to the Church. See to it that they come to no harm.” The tattoo of a small Fleur-de-lis could be seen on the inner wrist of the ancient hand as the man quickly hung up.

Dom flipped the cell cover closed and took another generous sip of the wine. This was the day he had been trained for, the day that he had been waiting for his entire adult life. The organization stood behind him, educated him, provided him with everything he needed to succeed in life, and he had succeeded beyond his greatest dreams.

Doctor Dominic Prestano; professor emeritus, a highly respected academician fawned over by the greatest minds in the world. His connections and his breakthroughs were the dreams and aspirations in every field of academic endeavor. His extensive villa and wealth were envied my many.

He also knew that what the German girl had uncovered may turn the world upside down. It could even destroy the world if it was placed in the wrong hands. No! He would not let The Cardinal down.

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636442-PARADOX---Chapter-2