*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636476-PARADOX---Chapter-21
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1636476
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
April 26, 2012 – Resort Hotel Jodquellenhof Alpamare - Bad Tölz



“What’s the score?” Monday asked, glancing at Weps and Scout. “Did we draw Schäfer’s goons out?” Monday and Daria returned to their hotel room shortly after they finished lunch. Scout was engrossed in devouring a pastry as fast as he could.

“We spotted the one that Henri identified as Dieter Fleischer,” Weps replied. “He was strolling across the bridge about the same time as you and Daria, and he sat in a café across the street from where you had lunch.”

“There’s a good chance another of Schäfer’s gang was also there.” Scout handed a pastry smeared camera to Monday. “This fat guy was spotted in two separate locations and he didn’t look like a simple tourist or businessman. He spent too much time glancing at you, and I’m positive he was watching Fleischer.”

“Monday took the camera and looked at the image. “I’ve seen this man somewhere else.” His eyebrows scrunched up in thought. “He’s an academic of some sort but I just can’t place him.”

“Perhaps Doctor Prestano can identify him.” Daria took the camera from Monday. “His features appear Slavic or Hungarian, not German.”

Just as she started to make another remark a sudden knock came at the door. Weps got up and strolled towards the door while Scout quickly ran to hide in the bathroom.

Dom strolled in casting a Cheshire smile at Weps. Behind him was his man Gunter carrying a briefcase and bottle of wine. “Don’t look so surprised” Dom signaled for Gunter to open the wine. “It is after lunch isn’t it?” No one accepted his offer of wine so Dom poured himself a generous glass. “This would run you about 75 dollars per glass at a fine café,” He remarked, holding up the ruby colored liquid.

“How did you make out?” Monday asked as Scout quietly strolled from the bathroom. He waited as Dom took his time to enjoy the gourmet drink before answering.

“On the surface it appears to be just another wine shop,” Dom stated. “The history of the place seems to coincide with what we have learned thus far. The owners have not been running the place since the war, which has something to do with the death of the final heir during the war. A father and son, Krupke by name, have been in control since the 1930’s. He did mention there was an extensive wine cellar so my guess is that is the best place to search.”

“Would he be cooperative if we ask to look in the cellar?” Monday asked. “We’ll have to give him a good cover story or offer to pay him for his services.”

“I just spent over two thousand dollars in his shop, that ought to buy us a little cooperation.”

“The Team spotted another potential member of Schäfer’s team.” Monday handed the camera to Dom. “I’ve seen him somewhere but I can’t remember where or when.”

Dom adjusted the camera and studied the picture for a few moments. A sudden smile lit his face. “This is Doctor Vlad Szekler, a very prominent historian. I believe he makes his home in Budapest. He is well known for his research into National Socialism and fascism.”

“I remember him now,” Monday cut in. “A very odd and cold looking man. He reminded me more of a pawn shop dealer than academic. We met one summer during a conference on the Nazi secrets of Peenemunde, the place where they had the V-1 flying bomb and other secrets. He talked as if he had been assigned to the base, although he’s far too young. His knowledge was incredible.”

“A brilliant man,” Dom agreed. “Never underestimate him. His mind is like a computer. He’s also known to have dealings with many unsavory collectors and blacklisted curators. He’s just the kind of man that Schäfer would use as a team expert.”

“The opposition grows,” Daria remarked. “This is turning into a virtual circus. Gangsters, Nazi lovers, CIA, British Intelligence, Special Forces and my own Indiana Jones,” she smiled at Monday.

“Considering the ultimate prize, you are lucky that so few are presently involved,” Dom observed. “I expect before this venture has reached its final conclusion many more ‘strange bedfellows’ will appear.” He noted an agreeing nod from the others before continuing. “Has Henri learned anything of significance?”

“Hasn’t returned or called yet,” Monday replied. “I guess our next step is to confront the wine shop clerk and go from there.”

“Gunter noticed no one observing me as I entered the shop. I recommend we keep our visit to a minimum of three or four people. I told the clerk I would be bringing in some friends so I would recommend you and Daria and perhaps one other. I am certain that we will be under observation this time so Schäfer will finally know that I am working with you.”

“Henri would be our best choice,” Monday replied. “Not only does he have police connections he is also quite a learned man. He may be an amateur historian but his information has been accurate, concise and extremely helpful.”

“Colonel Heinreich von Schwerin is completely wasted in the Army.’ Dom looked at his empty glass.. “Henri - as you call him - could write his own ticket as a civilian investigator. He has worldwide connections and trivial knowledge that many academics would give their right arm to possess. Fortunately for us, he is also a man of character and trust.”

Half an hour later the entire team had returned. Henri quickly accepted a glass of wine from Dom and Chester and Bones gave a negative report. “710 paces from the church to the wine house,” Chester stated. “Bones got 728 but he has shorter legs. I got the same number both ways. Can’t see any connection with either number and the riddle though.”

“We know that Johann Jäger was born in the wine shop and the note says that the sun shines from the place of his birth to the number of paces from the door of Stadtpfarrkirche.” Dom muttered. “710 paces. Doesn’t make a lot of sense, almost like a disconnect.”

“Has to fit within a certain context,” Henri thought aloud. “It’s like a riddle, meaning nothing in itself but tied in with other information it must provide the answer.’

Dom, Monday, Daria and Henri were driven to the wine shop by Gunter. Weps and Chester tagged behind in a rental car and dropped Scout and Bones off at strategic positions on the street. The Geek was left to make contact with several old Team members, Oddball and Chewy (Chubaka), who had retired in South America, too see if they were interested in joining up for the second phase of the hunt. This was something they should have done sooner but preoccupation with matters at hand had delayed them.

“Gooten Tag Herr Krupke,” Dom grinned, as they entered the shop. “After a taste of one of your fine wines, my friends couldn’t wait to check out your shop.” He waved his hand at the three others who joined him at one of the small tables.

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” Krupke was wringing his hands on an apron.

Dom could see dollar signs in the man’s eyes. “Bring us a bottle of that 1974 Cheatau Petrus Pomerol I spotted on your rack and five glasses.”

The mention of five glasses did not get past Krupke. He loved wine himself but seldom had an opportunity to enjoy the expensive brands the shop carried. He was content to drink local vintages and perhaps an occasional glass of the expensive wine left by a paying customer.

After a toast and moment to relish the fine wine, Dom came straight to the point. “I have to admit that I am addicted to fine wine and fine food. However, I must also confess to a little bit of deception, Herr Krupke. My friends and I are also here in search of a historical artifact that has been traced to this very shop.”

“Artifact?” Krupke asked with a smile.

“Purely historical,” Dom answered. “Actually, there is information secreted somewhere on the premises that will lead to finding the artifact. You mentioned that the owners’ son was killed in the war and the owners do not reside here anymore.”

“That is so.”

“I noticed a large number of photographs on the walls of the owners, some dating back quite a few years. They appeared to be a very social couple. I did not see one of their son, their only heir.”

“I was told to keep the photo in the cabinet,” Krupke stated. “They loved their son but hated the Nazi’s who indoctrinated him into their fascist beliefs.”

“May we see it?” Henri raised an eyebrow.

Krupke stood and walked over to the counter where he normally stood and removed a worn photograph from an upper cabinet. He returned to the table and offered the framed photo to Henri. The photo was of a young man in the uniform of a sergeant in the German Wermacht. Around his neck was the Iron Cross.  A brass plaque on the bottom held the inscription: Oberjager Claus Jäger - Das Eiserne Kreuz verbleibt nach dem Ableben des Beliehenen als Erinnerungsstück den Hinterbliebenen. “Sergeant Claus Jager -The Iron Cross shall be retained as an heirloom by the heirs of the recipient after his demise,” Henri read in English.

“He’s wearing the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross,” Dom whispered, as Henri passed the photograph around the table. “Another piece of the puzzle in place.”

Monday looked closely at the face of the young under-officer. It's a shame that so many young people had to die for such a rotten cause, he thought. He noticed there were a number of squares in the background behind the boy in the photo. “What are those squares?” He handed the photo back to Dom.

“For some reason this photo must have been taken in the wine cellar,” Dom was looking closely at the photo. “I believe those are stones marking the location of different areas for storage. May we go down in the cellar and look around Herr Krupke?”

The man hesitated for a moment then stood and motioned for them to follow. The winding stairs led down at least twenty feet to a cool and dry cellar. The place was surprisingly large considering the relatively small size of the shop above. Obviously the wine shop had been much larger at one time but had retained the entire cellar as portions above were sold off. Only about one third of the space had wine racks, the rest being open and empty. Two single large wattage bulbs were the only light source.

“You will notice that different areas have been marked with different numbers,” Dom pointed at several stones with numbers chiseled into their surface. “These are very old chisel marks and have been here for hundreds of years.”

“Are we looking for anything in particular?” Daria asked.

“The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, upon the date which the blood of Caesar was spilt,” Monday replied. “Everything fits to this point so I’m assuming we’re looking for a stone with the date that Julius Caesar died.”

“44 BCE,” Henri answered. “We need to find a stone with the numbers 44 on it.”

“It looks like the smaller numbers are on the floor and there are larger numbers on the walls,” Henry ran his finger over several chiseled numbers.

“One through 50 are on the floor and one through 1,000 are on the walls,” Krupke stated. “The floor numbers identify different wines, the wall numbers different vintages.”

“Here it is.” Daria pointed to a square stone on the floor with the mark of 44. The others strolled over to gaze at the unremarkable gray stone.

“What we are looking for may be under this stone,” Dom looked at Herr Krupke. “May we pry it up and see if there is anything beneath it?”

Instead of answering, Krupke walked over to a small alcove and returned with a chisel pointed spade. He inserted one end in the cracks between the stones and gently pried the stone loose. He then bent over and removed the stone. Beneath was packed earth. Using the tip of the spade he slowly started digging the dirt away. After eight inches of depth he turned to Dom with a shrug.

Dom bent over and ran his hand along the sides of the hole. “Well packed,” he remarked. “From an archeological stand point this earth has not been disturbed in hundreds of years. Obviously what we are searching for is not buried here.”

“Everything fits perfectly,” Henri said, in a disappointed tone. “All the clues lead to this cellar and that stone. It doesn’t make sense.”

“We’ve missed some very important clue,” Monday mused. “We’ll have to go over everything in much closer detail. We appreciate your help Herr Krupke is there any way we can compensate you?”

“Is good,” Krupke replied in a curt manner.”

“I will pay for the wine we drank upstairs,” Dom stated. “I will also pay for another bottle that you may enjoy at your leisure.” He noticed that Krupke relished the wine as much as he had.

“Is good,” Kurpke again replied.”



© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636476-PARADOX---Chapter-21