*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637652-Shirleys-Pre-audition-Jitters
by Cizon
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1637652
Restless energy of a teenager before a competition.
“I’m too tired to worry about the knot of butterflies forming in my belly,” groaned Shirley, “I just want to get some sleep before the competition tomorrow.”

“Oh tell me something I don’t know”, exclaimed Courtney!  “Well I better get to bed before mom knows I’m on the phone again and takes it from me.”

“All right, see you tomorrow.  Hope one of use can get to sleep!” stated Shirley.

Shirley and most members of the school band had been before many a judge over the past two years of high school.  She was not new to competition but this was her first solo competition for a spot on the All-District Band.  She mustered the courage, practiced relentlessly and was ready to play the light and lively piece of music required for her audition.  At the beginning of the school year, she determined this would be the year to compete.  The music long ago selected by the band director, the many private horn lessons from last year’s first-chair All-State Horn player and the hours upon hours of practice brought Shirley to this restless attempt at slumber.

Five years ago as a junior high sixth grade student, Shirley began playing the French horn.  The instructors always gave grand marks for her performance and solo pieces even encouraging her to compete for coveted All-District and All-State positions.  Teachers noticed that Shirley’s confidence in her ability as a musician wavered and kept her from signing up for auditions but continued to encourage her and finally she gave in and signed in to audition this year.

Thinking to herself to much she decided it was time to get some rest so she would be alert and ready to take first-chair tomorrow!  She tossed once more in bed before drifting off to sleep.

Word Count:  298
© Copyright 2010 Cizon (cizon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637652-Shirleys-Pre-audition-Jitters