*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637712-PARADOX---Chapter-24
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1637712
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
April 26, 2012 – Hotel Altez Zollhaus - Bad Tölz



“It’s got to be tonight,” Schäfer demanded. “The longer we wait the better the odds are that they will find the secret. I know Dr. Prestano, he’s sharp and Stiehl isn’t dumb either.” He glanced at Szekler who was again wiping his glasses with a clean napkin.

Szekler gently placed his glasses back on his plump face and reached down for his cup of tea. After taking a tentative sip, he returned the cup to the table and reached for the sugar. Schäfer watched in disgust as he added another three full teaspoons to the small cup. Satisfied that the tea was finally sweetened to his liking, Szekler answered. “We do not have time to make the arrangements today. Twenty tons of gold will require a considerable amount of transport. Not only must we hire equipment to dig up the gold and load it into the transport vehicles, we do not have sufficient security to cover the operation. The men working for Stiehl are professionals. I have no doubt they are keeping us under close surveillance at this very moment. We need a plan to draw them off from the site or eliminate them entirely. That is, except for the girl.”

“When is the rest of your team scheduled to arrive?” Schäfer looked at Mueller, who was busy devouring a thick pastry.

“Only two men.” Mueller shrugged. “The rest of them are either in prison or out of the country. I couldn’t contact any others on such short notice.”

“Our Kommando Spezialkraefte will be here by nineteen hundred hours this evening,” Szekler cut in, looking at Mueller with a grin. “Our Karotechia contacts are precise.”

“Special Forces Commandos?” Mueller asked with a puzzled face. “When did we decide on bringing in outside help?”

Schäfer replied; “We didn’t decide, The Karotechia did. As soon as they learned of the second message the mission changed. This is bigger than we thought, and we do not have the necessary resources.”

“I don’t like working with people I don’t know.” Mueller knocked the tea off the table in anger.. “Who trained these men? Where did they come from? Why wasn’t I informed of this change?”

“They are professionals.” Szekler folded his arms in a display of authority. “The entire team has received the combined training equivalent to that of the American Seals, Russian Spetsnaz, and German Kampfschwimmer combined. They are a match for any force the Americans or Germans try to put against us. You are, shall we say, a retired commando, you know the intensive and difficult training they have been subjected to.”

“I don’t like surprises. Herr Schafer can attest to that.” Mueller was referring to the late attorney. “I am still in command of this operation. Henceforth you will come to me before making any further plans or decisions. Is that perfectly clear?” He looked at both Schafer and Szekler with hostility. “Is that clear!”

“Clear,” Schafer answered.

“Their commander is a retired Colonel from the Forces Spéciales Françaises,” Szekler stated. “His name is Jean Marcel Dorbec. He also commanded a regiment in the Foreign Legion.”

“I don’t care if he was a damn Field Marshall!” Mueller spat back. “I am still in command, is that clear?”

“Clear.” Szekler cast a glance at Schafer to tell him that he was fed up with being bullied by a criminal, and that quick changes were in order.

Several hours later, a hard knock was heard at the door. Mueller motioned for Schafer to answer it and slid his pistol behind his back for quick access.

“Monsieur Schafer bonsoir.” A deep voice resonated when the door was cracked.

“Bonsoir,” Monsieur Dorbec.” Schafer opened the door all the way.

The man who entered was very tall, a full two meters in height and built like a powerful machine. Despite his size, his steps were almost cat-like, his movements smooth and graceful like a dancer. He was in his early forties with merely a hint of gray at the temples. His rugged but handsome face held no emotion whatever, his eyes quickly took in everything and everyone in the room.

“You can put the gun away Helmut.” He quietly strode over to Szekler and offered his hand. “Herr Szekler, my orders were to report to you.”

“How in hell do you know me?” Mueller snapped. “I’ve never met you before. And I don’t like frogs.”

“Cashiered German commando, avid Neo Nazi, professional assassin, member of the New Ahnenerbe and all around bad ass,” Dorbec rattled off the list. “One of my hard rules is always to know with whom I am dealing. As for the - don’t like frogs bit…ribbit! Meaning, I don’t give a shit. And, before you get your little feelings hurt and pull that pistol from behind your back, two of my men have you in their sites at this very moment, and they are in direct contact with me.” Dorbec pointed to a small receiver behind his right ear and at a red dot on the side of Mueller’s head. “Also, they are expert marksmen.”

“Monsieur Dorbec, it is a pleasure.” Herr Szekler smiled at Mueller’s cowed and angry face.

“Before I begin, I am to advise you that each of my twelve men have been paid in advance, one million Euros, two million for my two team leaders, and their primary mission is not the gold.  The gold will be an added bonus but it is not mandatory that we secure it. You, Schafer and Mueller are expendable, the girl is not to be harmed in any way. Am I clear?”

“We are all in this together,” Szekler added. “You know who I am and where I stand. Mueller and Schafer are on our team and there will be no misunderstandings. Although Mueller is not a member of our organisation, Schafer is, but they are both dedicated to the same cause.”

“Brief me on where we stand,” Dorbec returned without preamble. “I need to know everything that you know, especially about the opposition.”

For over an hour, Szekler described everything that had occurred from the beginning. He paid particular attention to detail when it came to being observed and followed and to the presence of Dr. Prestano. When he discussed Mueller and his protégé, Fleischer, Mueller perked up and paid close attention.

“I know Dr. Monday Stiehl,” Dorbec stated, when Szekler finished. “He’s ex-Special Forces and the men shadowing you are obviously members of his old Team. They are good, very professional and highly trained, but as the Americans say, rusty. My men are at the cutting edge of their physical strength and training. We are better.”

“I am in command of this operation,” Dorbec gave Mueller a sideways glance. Mueller remained silent. “What I say goes. If you hesitate to do exactly as I demand, you are expendable and you will be immediately terminated.” He halted to observe the reaction of the three other men. “Good. Now that we have that settled, here is what we will do.”





© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637712-PARADOX---Chapter-24