*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637770-High-School-High-Day-1
by nocaps
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #1637770
Day One of a week-long foray into the lives of four unlikely high school friends
“Dude.” Ashley said, raising his bloodshot eyes above his head to stare into the face of Redge. It wasn’t that Redge was taller than Ashley. Bulkier by a long shot, but the lanky Ashley was one of the tallest kids in school. But Ashley had been sleeping in Math again, and Redge had taken it upon himself to awaken his friend.

“How wasted are you right now?” Redge asked, arms crossed in disapproval over his barrel chest. His short brown hair hung over his eyes slightly, casting a small shadow on the bright blue orbs. Ashley looked at his watch, his eyes crossing and uncrossing as he tried to decipher the time. “About 11:30, why?”

Redge smacked himself on the forehead with a groan. Ashley giggled a little. “Dude, did you get taller, or did the rest of the world get shorter?”

Redge grabbed Ashley’s upper arm and yanked him off the desk, earning a snort of laughter from the math teacher.

“C’mon, Ash. Lunch time.” Redge said, helping his friend keep his balance. Once Ashley got his landlegs back, he began walking towards the window. “Door, Ash. Not window.”

Ashely quickly about-faced, heading for the door out of the classroom. “Good boy.”

“A canine I am not, heathen!” Ashley declared melodramatically as he posed at the doorway, index finger rising in the air in triumph. A shove on the back sent him stumbling into the hallway. Ashley shook the long black hair out of his eyes. It wasn’t the kind of hair that emo people around the school wore, it was more of an afro, with less curls. His mother affectionately referred to it as ‘The Clump.’

After the usual walk to the lunchroom, with Ashley slowly regaining sobriety, the pair grabbed their trays and sat at their table in the far corner of the room. “Must you smoke right before school? My grandma’s starting to think that I smoke pot, now, too.” Redge said as he bit into a hamburger.

Ashley stared at him for a minute, blinking incredulously. “You know, my friend, that I have English class first period. Therefore, to maintain a high grade in that course, I must get,” he giggled, “stoned. Wasted. High. Kitelike. Off on the chronic. And all of the other slang for the wondrous effects of my dear little cannabis. Besides, your grandma was a stoner too, not like it’s a big deal.”

“You’re failing math, to pass English. You have a 100 in English, and you could keep a 90 in there if you weren’t high all the time. With this 100 in English, you have a zero in math. If you were sober during math, you could have a 70. I think a 90 and a 70 are better than a 100 and a zero.” Redge responded, pausing only to lift his milk carton to his lips. He nodded a greeting as Lorne sat down and removed her pink fuzzy sweater to reveal the brown top underneath, plastic gold and rhinestones covering the neckline.

“You like?” she asked, turning this way and that, swirling her long blonde hair back and forth to accentuate her features. Redge nodded and returned his attention to Ashley, who was talking to a french fry.

“Anyway, Redge,” Ashley said to the fry, “I don’t plan on doing math before, during, or after high school. English is my thing, and I can get a scholarship if I can afford enough weed.” He giggled again. Redge rolled his eyes, grunting a hello as Jordan sat down with her tray, her black clothes a stark contrast to Lorne’s perky outfit.

“Pink again? Ugh.” Jordan said, sneering in distaste at Lorne’s choice of clothes. Lorne rolled her eyes.

“Besides, I’d sleep in math whether I was stoned or not. The pot just helps.” Ashley said to the french fry. “But, this conversation bores me. Meeting adjourned!” he exclaimed as he shoved the fry into his mouth.

“Is he high again?” Jordan asked, placing a semi-gloved hand on the side of her pale face, it too a contrast to her black clothes and hair.

“Is he ever not?” Redge replied.

“Remember at my birthday last year. I think he was sober then.”

“No, he just mixed weed with the cake mix when your mom wasn’t paying attention. You were too high to know that he wasn’t.”

“Oh. How do you know? You had cake too.”

“When you spend as much time with Ashley as I do, you can tell if he’s high no matter how wasted you get.”

“Ooh! Jordan! I just remembered! Mike Wallace from Chemistry says he has a crush on you!” Lorne said suddenly, shocking poor Ashley into spilling his milk. Redge just grinned as Ashley tried to sponge up the milk with his burger, the chocolate beverage staining his hoodie. “Man...” he moaned.

Jordan just glared at Lorne. “Stop trying to hook me up with that loser.” she commanded. “He’s an annoying little prep. I swear, if he tries to talk football with me one more time...” she left the threat unfinished, the look on her face enough to give way to imagination.

“Dude, I’m scared.” Ashley said, grinning.

“Well, well, well. The losers have returned to the watering hole.”

Redge glared up at the voice, a tall football player. He was blond, with a chiseled jaw and bulging muscles. The high school he-man, for sure.

“Hey, Tony!” Ashley said with such enthusiasm that the jock was momentarily stunned. He had seen Ashley awake on very few occasions before.

“Ashley! My favorite lady!” the football player said, turning to his friends as they chuckled at his wit.

“Never gets old, does it Tony?” Ashley said, surprising Tony once more, this time with his apparent sobriety.

“And the littlest vampire, Jordan. Gonna bite me again tonight, or was that just a one time thing?” Jordan grimaced and turned her head, sneering into her burger.

Tony grinned at his apparent victory, placing a hand on Lorne’s shoulder. “Hey, Lorne. Why do you hang with these losers? I can show you some real friends.” he said, grabbing the girl’s blonde hair in his hands and wrapping it around his finger. Lorne sneered. Tony and his cohorts were her only enemies at school, everyone else liked her a lot.

“And finally, Reginald. Ah, Reggie, still don’t want on the football team?” Tony said, appraising Redge’s bulkiness. Redge scowled.

“Silent still? Bet I can make you talk.” Tony said, balling up his fist. He cocked his arm back, aiming a punch straight for Redge’s nose.

Before the fist could fly, a french fry bounced off of Tony’s head. “Attack, my minions! Strike the fool mortal down!” Ashley cried, tossing more fries at Tony. Lorne and Jordan chuckled, while Redge stared off into the distance, lost from the world.

“You little pothead! Think that little plant can save you now?” Tony asked, grabbing Ashley by his hoodie collar and jerking him to an upright position.

“Sure. Did you know that when one is ‘suffering’ from the effects of a drug such as cannabis, they aren’t really aware of what they are doing? Therefore, while high, I can perform abnormal feats of strength on the idea that I don’t know that I can’t. Ipso facto, I can kick your tailfeathers from here to Timbuktu and back again just because I’m not aware that I am.” Ashley replied, employing his extensive knowledge of drugs and vocabulary.

Before Ashley could demonstrate, however, a large fist struck Tony across the jaw, sending him sprawling across the table. Redge was straddling his chest in seconds, driving punch after punch into the football player’s hard jaw. Before long, teachers had pulled Redge off the jock. But Redge wouldn’t get into trouble. Tony, Ashley, Lorne and Jordan would all say that Tony had struck first, as well as Tony’s crew if they knew what was good for them.

“Thanks man. I owe you my life. Or at least a soda....Maybe half a soda.” Ashley said, placing his hand on the shoulder of some frightened sophomore who just happened to be nearby. “Over here, Ash.” Lorne called, beckoning the confused young man.

“Oh.”

Redge resumed his seat at the table as Tony was carried to the nurse’s office. Since Tony had struck first, or so they heard, the teachers let Redge slide on self-defense.

“Dude. What do you think about in the Dark Place?” Ashley asked, staring wide-eyed at Redge. The Dark Place was the group’s nickname for Redge’s mindset before a fight. It was a rarely addressed issue, as Redge had no control over the Dark Place, and once entered, could only be exited through much willpower. Psychologists had described it to Redge as a weak alternate personality.

“My mom.” Redge answered, dipping a fry into some ketchup and popping it into his mouth. Everyone was silent. Redge’s mom had abused him when he was little, he had hurt her in a visit to the Dark Place, which put him into the care of his grandmother while his mom served time in prison. She was drunk at the time, and had called the police, “Hello. I was beating my son and he struck me. I think my leg is broken. When I get out of the hospital though, I’m gonna duct tape him to the stove and turn the burners on!”

He still had scars across his back from her beatings, and even more in his mind.

“You know what’s funny?” Ashley said.

“What?” Lorne said, sure that Ashley would amuse the group.

“F-U-N-N-Y.” he replied. Jordan giggled at the stupidity of the joke rather than the joke itself. Lorne laughed politely, trying not to hurt Ashley’s feelings. Redge grinned a little before taking the final bite of his burger.

“Bah, we have History next period, don’t we?” Redge said, rolling his head back.

“I know!” Lorne squealed, excited for her favorite class. Everyone but Ashley glared at her, all hating the class. Ashley was merely too engrossed in his left hand to glare. “Dude. I have five fingers. But what if I had six? Then, would I need two fingers to flip people off, or still just the one?”

Jordan snickered. Lorne just stared at Ashley. She was still dazzled by his strange, pot-induced statements. Redge merely grinned, bemused at the stoner’s statement.

Lorne was still the newest member of the group. She had sat at their table a few months ago when she first moved to the town. She assumed that since Redge looked like a jock, that Ashley looked like the stoner he was, and that Jordan looked like the goth that she was, that the table could use a little cheering up. She was greeted rather meanly.

Upon her arrival, the sober Ashley told her to get out before she even sat down. Ashley was unnecessarily cruel when not high. She sat anyway, next to Redge, who got up and left, muttering to himself. Ashley had scowled but stayed. Jordan just stared in disbelief at the little lady who looked like she had just walked off the set of Clueless. After many days of sitting unwelcome, the group warmed up to her.

“Hey, Ash,” Lorne said, recalling her first day. “What made you stay on my first day?”

Ashley grinned. “Unlike my eunuch friend here,” Redge glared at Ashley. “I actually like those of the female gender. You got a hot bod, sister.” He said, laughing at her beet-red face. Jordan scowled a little, but hid the expression with her burger, pantomiming taking a bite.

“Mind if I bum a joint after school?” Lorne asked. Ashley just looked at her.

“Dude. Don’t start weed. Weed is bad. Very bad. Acid is the good stuff, go try that. Ow!” Ashley said, adding the final exclamation as Redge popped him upside the head.

Lorne shrugged. “Whatever. I’ll just steal some from my mom and smoke by myself. I do have a tendency to get wild when I get weird, though.” She said, fluttering her lashes innocently.

Ashley groaned. “Darned hormones! Alright. Meet me at the stoop behind my house at five. On the dot.” Lorne nodded. “How wild, though?” he asked, hope showing in his voice.

Jordan rolled her eyes as she gathered her books. The bell had just rang.

Redge moaned, preparing for the monumental task of keeping Ashley awake for History. It was the one class that the four were together, and Ashley had a tendency to sleep as his morning weed wore off.

The group took seats in the back row of the classroom, clustering in a small square with Ashley and Lorne in the two back seats, and Jordan and Redge in front of them. Ashley’s head went down as soon as the bell rang, but a knuckle on his head sent him back up, grouching. “I was not sleeping, I was resting my brain. Through the ancient meditative methods of my ancestors.” Ashley protested.

“Sleep?” Redge asked, guessing Ashley’s ‘ancient meditative method.’

“Okay.” Ashley said, his head back on the desk. A slap from Lorne this time, her many rings bruising his head. “Ow!”

“Mr. Willows.” said the history teacher, Mr. Marton. Ashley grumbled as he raised his head, his sober grouchiness showing through. “Perhaps we can stay awake today, hmm?”

Ashley just grinned. He was still stoned enough to smart off to Mr. Marton. “Well, since you’re asking my permission, I suppose I will allow it.”

Mr. Marton just grinned. “Just keep the eyes open and the head up, kid, and we’ll get along fine.”

Ashley just nodded, still grinning.

History class was uneventful as usual. Ashley fell asleep, Redge gave up on waking him and slept himself, Lorne listened attentively, writing Mr. Marton’s every word down in her notebook, and Jordan flipped through I, Robot.

After History class, Ashley and Jordan went to Drama class, while Redge headed off to English and Lorne went to Nursing class.

After school, Lorne made her ride wait ten minutes while she fixed her hair, which had gotten mussed practicing CPR. When she finally climbed in the car, Ashley had already lit up another joint.

“Must you smoke in my car? You’re going to get me arrested.” Redge complained, turning the key in the ignition. “This, this is why Gramma thinks I’m a pothead too.”

Lorne buckled her seatbelt in the back of the Taurus, scowling at Jordan until she did the same. “Thank you so much for caring.” Jordan said, sarcasm dripping in her voice. Lorne just grinned, reaching her hand into the front seat expectantly.

“Ash. Share.” Lorne commanded.

“I said at five. You still got an hour and a half.” Ash responded, puffing on the joint greedily.

Lorne groaned. “You don’t need to smoke all by yourself. Come on.”

Ashley puffed again, passing the joint to Lorne with a grimace. “Bye, bye little friend. I hope that you’ll be back again. If not, well...then, I’ll light another and get new friends.” Ashley recited in mock poetic style. Jordan groaned.

Ashley shot his hand to the backseat as soon as Lorne coughed. “Don’t waste all the pot, you frikking lightweight!” Ashley commanded, bringing his hand back as the rough paper returned.

“Dude. Put. Out. The joint.” Redge commanded, glaring back at Lorne. “Don’t encourage him.”

Ashley muttered as he took a final drag and flicked the joint out the window. He waved goodbye to the joint as Redge began pulling out of the lot, the hair-fixing and weed-smoking giving ample time for the other cars to get out. “And roll your windows down.” Redge commanded.

The ride home was quick as usual. Redge drove like a maniac, trying to air out the car. Jordan was the first passenger off. She grabbed her backpack and climbed out, sticking her head in the drivers side window to talk for a minute. “Why do you never talk on the ride, yet chat for an hour when we pull up?” Redge asked. “Man, in an hour I gotta give Lorne another joint. I only got one more in my pocket, and I can’t bear to part with it so soon after losing Bella.” Ashley moaned, faking tears.

“Bella?” Jordan asked, eyebrow raised.

“The last joint. The one Mr. I-Don’t-Want-My-Gramma-To-Think-That-I-Am-A-Stoner-Or-Have-Stoner-Friends-So-I-Make-Them-Toss-Their-Joints-Out-The-Window over here made me toss out the window because he doesn’t want his gramma to think that he’s a stoner or has stoner friends, so he made me toss it out the window because he doesn’t want his gramma to think that he’s a stoner or has stoner friends...” Ashley said, going on and on until Lorne’s small hands clamped over his mouth.

“Continue, Jordy.” Lorne said, turning her attention to the black-clad girl outside.

“Don’t call me that. Anyway, I stay out here ‘cause my parents annoy me.” Jordan answered

Redge grinned. “Well, we will no longer be your escape. You need more sympathetic friends.” Redge smiled wider as he put the car in reverse. Lorne quickly extended her pinky and thumb into the universal symbol for “I’ll call.”

As the car pulled out of the driveway, Jordan grinned. Maniacs though they were, they were her maniacs.

Back in the car, Lorne frowned. “Must you be so mean to Jordy?”

Redge nodded, and Ashley frowned.

“S’wrong, Ash?” Redge asked, turning his attention to his stoner buddy.

“Watch the road!” Lorne called, punching Redge on the shoulder. Redge looked back at the road. He had not veered nor even wavered slightly. “Most accidents are caused by backseat drivers, Lorne.” He responded.

“I don’t know, man. I’m confused is all. And not even that high. I mean, I like Lorne and all, she’s got a rocking bod, man, the stuff I would do to her.”

“Ashley!” Lorne exclaimed, hitting him on the shoulder.

“Oh, you’re here. I thought we just dropped you off.”

“That was Jordan.”

“That’s what I said. Anyway, Redge, but Jordan ain’t bad looking either, and I think she digs me anyway. What to do?”

“Go for Jordan.” Redge answered almost too quickly.

Lorne grimaced in the backseat, an uncharacteristic frown on her face. “Why is everyone so moody today?” Redge asked, oddly concerned.

Lorne just smiled. “Gas.” She began to giggle as Ashley exploded into laughter. “That explains a lot.” Ashley said as Lorne climbed outside the car. Her hand flew through the open window and smacked the young stoner on the forehead. “Bye, guys. See ya in an hour, Ash.” Ashley grimaced. “All that poor weed, going to waste.” He shook his head sadly.

“So, you and Jordan, eh?” Redge asked, grinning. Ashley had never been the one for romance. Girls mainly just liked him because he knew how to party and sold them his weed for cheap. “Jordan’s not a stoner, dude. Think you can handle a real woman?” Ashley just shook his head slowly.

“Once you get past the dark eye make-up, the piercings, the hair dye (she’s a natural blonde, you know), the combat boots, the half-gloves, the striped leggings and arm covers, the chains, the zippers and the heavy face make-up, what’s left?” Ashley asked.

Redge thought for a moment. “I don’t know.”

“Exactly.”

“So you think she doesn’t have a personality beyond her goth style?”

“No, I just think that she is a collection of zippers, chains, make-up, hair dye, leggings, boots, gloves and arm covers that has somehow gained a sentient hive-mind sort of thing.”

Redge just laughed, pulling into Ashley’s driveway. Ashley stepped out the car. “You coming in, man? We got soda and my parents won’t be home for an hour. I sure do get lonely.”

Redge grimaced. “Tempting, but I gotta get home. Gramma’ll be waiting. We’re going to Wal-Mart later. Why don’t you show up? Gramma loves you.”

Ashley bit his lower lip. “Stoned?”

Redge shook his head.

“Er, alright. Give me a while to get down though.”

Redge nodded and put the car in reverse. He pulled out of the driveway, flipping up his index finger in a slight wave at Ashley. Ashley either didn’t notice, or was too sober to respond. Redge shrugged as he sped down the highway, pulling into his house a few blocks away.
© Copyright 2010 nocaps (nocaps at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637770-High-School-High-Day-1