*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638478-Draculas-Lost-Gold
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Detective · #1638478
A detective is hired to find a missing book but something happens.
1,133 words

         I found a file on my desk for a case of a missing book. The owner of the book is an old fashion designer by the name of Joseph Keller. He retired about ten years ago and that’s when he came into possession of the book entitles “Dracula’s Lost Gold.” The book according to him tells of the location of the missing gold but it is encrypted in the book. Joseph was about to solve the encrypted message when the book vanished. One night while he was in bed a loud crash was heard in his study. When he went to investigate the sound he noticed that his safe was open. The safe only held the book “Dracula’s Lost Gold.” The police were called and they found a man who broke in but he wasn’t arrested for theft just breaking and entering. Apparently the safe was open when he broke in. This is where it becomes odd a week after the break in Joseph was looking at the encryption that he broke when it vanished. And that’s where I come in I’m known to solve the unsolvable.

         I was shown into his sitting room by the butler. As I sat waiting for Mr. Keller my eyes started to wander the room. On a side table there was a bowl of hugs candy. I took note that somebody has a sweet tooth. That’s when I noticed Mr. Keller entering the room. He walked over to me and offered me a seat.

         “I see that you accepted the job offer?”
         “Not yet Mr. Keller, I need to know more about the case mainly which one.”
         “What do mean which one?! There is only one my missing book.”
         “You want to hire me to find “Dracula’s Lost Gold” and not your encrypted message.”
         “The book is more important to me than that paper. So will you take the case?”
         “How much are you willing to pay for the book?”
         “I’ll pay you a half of million for your troubles.”
         “I’ll start right away on it. I have read the police reports but I have no idea what the book looks like.”
         “The book had a black spider’s web on a red back ground. The web covered the entire book. The title appeared on the front under the web design in off white lettering. The letters looked like they were hand written.”
         “That is a good starting point is there anything else you can tell me about the book.”
         “The book was written in the year 1587 and as far as I know that is the only copy.”

I stored the description of the book and mentally marked that the book is one of a kind. We left the sitting room and headed towards the study. I was shown the safe that once held the book. I asked him to open the safe when he did we both noticed some thing inside. I reached in and picked it up the paper. I opened the folded paper and read:

         ‘Do not come after the book. If you do I will not be responsible for my servant or my own actions. This will be your only warning.
D


The letter was written in some kind of red liquid. I started to wonder if this case is worth the price. I told Mr. Keller that I was going to take the letter for analysis.

         As I was leaving I heard a voice “Listen to the note.” I turned around but saw anyone. The ride to my home was a long so I started to think about the note. The main thought that came to me was “Is this really worth it” I have been threatened before but not in this way before. But the idea of a half of million out weighed the threat. I pulled into the driveway and was shocked to see a car already parked in it. I pulled out my pistol while heading to the door; I was not going to take any chances. The door opened with a loud creak the element of surprise was taken away from me. The sound of footsteps came from my sitting room so I headed that way. When I looked in I saw a lady standing near my fireplace rubbing a red lotion.

         “Who are you and how did you enter my home?”
         “My name is Alina. The porch door was unlocked. I have to speak with you about something urgent.”
         “So you broke into my home and now expect me to help you.
         “No, I was sent by employer D. He wants to know your answer to his note.”
         “I haven’t given it any thought to the matter. The idea of a half of million dollars is making me lean towards taking the job.”
         “Then this may change your mind follow me.”

She led me outside by the way she entered my home. When we were out side she pointed towards the driveway. I jumped back in horror my employer laid there dead and I noticed a trail of blood down his neck. An d then realized the red lotion was actually his blood. I turned back to Alina and was scared. She smiled at me and I saw fangs.

         “What are you?”
         “I am one of Dracula’s brides. I am giving you one last chance.”
         “Why should I drop the case?”
         “Your employer is dead and I have been told to kill you if you continue the search.”
         “You are very persuasive Alina; I agree not to search for the book.”
         “Dracula told me to give you this for your time..”
         “Thank you.”

I reached for the satchel but she grabbed my arm and pulled me close to her face. I then felt a sharp pain on my neck. The next thing I can remember is waking up in my bed. Was that all a dream? I looked around my room and saw the satchel on the floor. I climbed out of bed and reached out for the satchel. When I opened it I was shocked to see it was packed with money. I ran to the mirror to look at my neck but to my shock I saw everything but me.

         “I see you have woken up.”
         “Alina, what did you do to me?”
         “Can’t you figure it out?”
         “You killed me!”
         “No, I turned you on my master’s orders.”
         “But I thought he wanted me dead if I sustain from the search?”
         “I was not a hundred percent truthful to you. It was either death or me turning you if you agreed to stop.”
         “Why?”
         “Dracula can’t have anybody knowing he truly exists. Now come with me you must meet Dracula.”

Without a second thought I took Alina’s hand and we disappeared from my home.
© Copyright 2010 Rev1780 (rev1780 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638478-Draculas-Lost-Gold