*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639192-Greg-Gumshoe-Private-Eye---Chapter-5
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Comedy · #1639192
Chapter 5: "Regrets of the Gumshoe"
Fifth prompt.
I am late! Sorry sorry sorry! So, because I'm sorry, make your main character sorry about something. They can be sorry for something that happens now or happened in the past.
Anybody who takes the "sorry" prompt and connects it with the romance part of the plot gets gets an extra heart, errr ... star for the chapter!

Remember to highlight the prompt words/phrases in bold, or ALL CAPITALS, or color.
Due on or before 02/10/10 11:59PM WDC time.



***********************************************************************************************************************

Greg Gumshoe: Private Eye
Chapter 5: "Regrets of the Gumshoe"

By Indelibleink


As the door to Gumshoe's office slowly opened, with Greg and Babs strategically down on the floor and behind the protection of the office desk, Babs looked quizzically at Greg.

With the faintest of whispers, Babs asked, "Greg, honey, who could it possibly be this time? I mean, who's left?"

Greg looked back at Babs and shrugged. "I don't know...maybe the landlord...but whoever it is, this had better be a quick visit."

"Why...whatever do you mean, darling?"

"This simply has to be a short chapter. Our intrepid author got kinda carried away last chapter and went waaaaaaaaay over the number of words he should have used. As a result, this is a 'catch up' chapter, so we don't have many words to work with. In fact, I'm wasting a lot of words just explaining this to you."

Babs's expression turned to one of hurt and disappointment. "Greg. Are you saying that you are wasting words on me? I thought we had something much deeper than just a few superficial words. Besides, it's not your butt that's going to hung out to dry if this story crashes and burns because of too few words at the end - it's the author's problem."

Greg mulled over Babs's surprisingly analytical response. "I'm sorry, Babs. You're right. What do I care about the author?" Even though he knew in his heart that he did care. It was his job to care, dammit. He was a private eye! He went over and gave Babs a hug. Greg then remembered that the office door was still opening - albeit ever so slowly. He jumped up, bolted over and barreled into the door, knocking whatever was behind it backward and slamming the door shut at the same time.  Then, he wedged a chair up at an angle under the door knob. Simple physics. If it can work for the Three Stooges, it can work for me! "That should take care of that!"

There was a moan of somebody in obvious pain outside the door. Babs ran over to the door and peered through the peep-hole.

"Greg, there's an old lady laying on the ground outside the door! Who is it?"

"Hmmmmm. An old lady, huh? Probably the landlord, here to collect this month's rent."

Babs looked at Greg incredulously. "Gregory S. Gumshoe! You go help that old woman out this instant! She may be seriously hurt after you decided to go all 'Roller Derby' on her!"

Greg removed the wedged chair from beneath the doorknob, and slowly opened the door a crack, and peered through the opening. "Sorry, Mom...thought you were an intruder. Oh yeah... I'll have the rent for you Thursday." Greg then re-closed the door.

If Babs was incredulous a few minutes ago, guess where she was now? Yep. Mad enough to say his middle name, and all guys know they're in deep do-do if things are bad enough to invoke the "Three Name Rule."

"Gregory Spearmint Gumshoe! That woman is your mother? How could you do that to your very own mother? You should be ashamed of yourself! You should..."

"Babs...Babs...Babs! Jeez...cut me a little slack here, Okay? Mom and I have two distinctly different relationships: One where I'm her son - her little 'Greggy' - and I love her dearly. The other one is that I'm strictly a tenant - it's a business relationship. She's raised my rent the last three years - crazy old witch - and when I asked her how she could do that to her son, she told me that 'business was business', and to not think of her as 'my Mommy' when we're at the office building. So, you see, Babs, this arrangement wasn't my idea - it was Mother's." 
 
"That has to be one of the strangest things I've ever heard."

"Well, Babs, I'm sorry if you don't understand, but the relationship works well for us."

"So you're just going to let her lay on the floor outside your office door?"

"It's not that bad, Babs. I got her a cell phone for Christmas, exactly for an instance just like this one, as a matter of fact. In case she got attacked, or something. I even put 9-1-1 on speed-dial."

"Oh, excuse me! If that doesn't win you the 'Son-of-the-Year' award, I don't know what will!"

"Hey...ya think?" Greg then listened to his stomach growl, which reminded him that he was still existing on the candy bar from early this morning. Don't think that he wasn't sorry for not bringing more food into work today! "Hey Babs...you up for pizza or something? I'm starving."

"Pizza? Sounds good to me. Mushrooms and anchovies please."

"Sorry...I'm a pepperoni and sausage guy myself. I'll call it in." After placing the order, Greg, motioned to Babs to come over and sit on his lap, which she did. "But you know what I'm really sorry about? I'm sorry you didn't come into my office looking for help a couple of years ago - that's what I'm really sorry about."

Babs looked lovingly into Greg's eyes, and the two engaged in a long, sensuous kiss. Unfortunately, they shifted their weight on Greg's swivel chair a bit too far, and both tumbled to the floor. Laughing, Greg looked at Babs.

"Sorry."



***********************************************************************************************************************

word count: 878        cumulative: 5778
© Copyright 2010 Indelible Ink (indelibleink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639192-Greg-Gumshoe-Private-Eye---Chapter-5