*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639195-Greg-Gumshoe-Private-Eye---Chapter-7
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Comedy · #1639195
Chapter 7: "The Final Chapter"
Seventh prompt.
In this final prompt, you MUST wrap up the plot. Do not leave me with unsolved mysteries, couples that don't get each other, or other loose ends.
To add some spicy fun, I want you to find a way to include the words insurance and agent. They do not have to be used as "insurance agent", but both words have to appear.

Have fun.
Remember to highlight the prompt words/phrases in bold, or ALL CAPITALS, or color.
Due on or before 02/14/10 11:59PM WDC time.

********************************************************************************************************************

Greg Gumshoe: Private Eye
Chapter 7: "The Final Chapter"

By Indelibleink

Greg looked at Babs and sighed. "You know, Babs, it's been quite a day so far."

Babs, who had been looking at the photos in Greg's bookcase, nodded in agreement. "Yes, it seems like a lot longer. More like fourteen days, if you ask me."

The conversation was interrupted by the ringing of Greg's phone. Greg answered it, while Babs continued to look at the photos. Greg hung up the phone, and gave out a huge sigh.

"Greg, my dear, what's wrong?"

"That was the hospital. Apparently, somehow, Mom fractured her hip earlier today..."

"You don't think you had anything to do with it?"

"Well, we don't know for sure now, do we? Anyway, it gets even worse: It appears Mom let her medical insurance lapse, and we're going to owe a small fortune in medical bills by the time it's all said and done."

"That's awful!. Whatever are we going to do about..."

Again, the phone rang. This time, Babs answered it. She turned to Greg and said, "It's for you."

While Greg spent the next few minutes on the phone, Babs walked over to the window and looked out at the 'Visit Australia' billboard. Greg hung up the phone, clapped his hands together, and shouted, "Yes!"

"What is it, Greg?"

"A couple of things, Babs. First of all that was Chief Cook. He's asked me to come back on the force."

"You never did tell me why you had to leave the force in the first place, Greg."

"Well, it's a long story, but I'll try to condense it: I told you about Great Gramps and the Hindenburg. Well, Great Gramps, in the early 1930's, had been assigned to the Lindbergh baby kidnapping case. When Gramps was forced to retire abruptly after the Hindenburg fiasco, I thought the case had simply been forgotten. So, about five years ago, as a tribute to Great Gramps, I reopened the Lindbergh case. The only photo I had was one of the baby at about 20 months of age, and I was asking questions and showing that photo when I was going around asking people if they'd seen him. When the Mayor found out I had reopened the case without authorization, he burst into my office, really steamed."

Babs was enthralled. "And...?"

"And, he asked me if I realized that the photo I was showing was about 75 years old. Well, I got mad, and said that the photo would still be relevant since the person we were looking for today would - just like the person in the photo - be wearing diapers! I thought my logic was sound. Of course, the mayor didn't see it that way, particularly when he informed me that the Lindbergh baby had been found dead shortly after that photo was taken. Great Gramps had never updated his file. I got suspended indefinitely for 'wasting taxpayer's money', although I'm sure being a smart-ass to the Mayor no doubt didn't help."

Babs was all ears. "Continue..."

"Well, apparently the INS contacted the Chief after we ran off those terrorists earlier today and told him that I was a 'hero', and the the Mayor doesn't want to look like a fool to the media, so I'm back on the force, effective immediately. Not only that, I am now a Special Agent in charge of terrorist affairs. Officer Bottlewasher is on his way over now to give me my new badge. Tomorrow, the Mayor, Chief Cook and Bottlewasher will present me with an award in front of City Hall."

Babs was beaming brilliantly. "That's just wonderful, Greg."

"Actually, that's not all. The Chief also told me that he had heard from reliable sources that bin Laden was killed a short time ago. Camel stampede. So, you are now the beneficiary - along with the other wives - of his significant fortune!"

"What a wonderful ending to a wonderful day!"

"Sure is, Babs. What say - tomorrow being Valentine's Day and all - that you, me, and cat Stevens go out for dinner and a can of tuna?"

"Greg, you're just the best. I love you."

"And I love you, Babs."

"Meow."

"And I love you, too, cat Stevens."

***********************************************************************************************************************
word count: 699      cumulative: 7291
© Copyright 2010 Indelible Ink (indelibleink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639195-Greg-Gumshoe-Private-Eye---Chapter-7