*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639309-Fate-Chapter-1
by Lexi
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Occult · #1639309
Connie predicts her mother's death and the betrayal is clear.
FATE



CHAPTER 1



My name is Connie Handmaid. I'm just like any other fourteen year old girl; but with one difference. I'm a psychic. I'm not just one of those psychics you find in roadside pubs or the like; no I am a real psychic and that's gotten me in a lot of trouble before.

I come from a very long line of underground psychics. Nobody knew we existed. Not even our outside family. Only the mother and the daughter knew of the ability. Only women could be born a psychic. There is no way to become one and there are no true men psychics; only men who mockingly pretend to be.

My mother, Evelyn, made the mistake of telling my father about our abilities. “Curses” he called them. “Dishonorable”, “scoundrel”, and “pagan” were among his nicest references to the subject.

But Mother said for me not to worry. She said that people, like Father, were scared of what they couldn't understand and would leave them be.

Oh, how I wish she was right. Father did care. He cared very much.

We first got suspicious when Grandmother and Aunt Louis disappeared suddenly from their homes, never to be seen again. They were both psychic as well. We are often times called witches, so I assume someone killed them off because of a foolish accusation.

Then we became sure when Mother foresaw a death note. She did not know whose death was coming, for indeed a psychic can not see her own death, so she used me to foretell it.

As I gazed in the jagged, zigzagged pure crystal, I felt pain. I felt fear; suffering. I felt a deep feeling of dread. I felt it belonged to Mother.

I winced and forced my newly arisen fears of losing my mother behind me. I need to find out how, when, where, and why she was going to die.

I felt a deep-set resentment, no more like a feeling of betrayal.

I inhaled deeply, wincing as I couldn't handle the emotions that were being flung at me.

“That's enough, Connie,” Mother said. She grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the Seer Crystal.

“What did you feel?”

“I felt . . . I felt . . .” I stammered, unable to finish the sentence.

“Connie, relax. What was it?”

“I . . . I saw . . . I felt your . . . death.” I choked out the last word.

“Oh, love, this was too much for you,” Mother said, “What else?”

Mother listened closely to me as I gave her the terrible details of her doom.

“So I will be betrayed. Hmm . . .”

“Mother, what are you going to do?”

“I'm not sure what I can do, Connie. But you on the other hand have power. I will die. You will live. You can do anything. You are a strong psychic in every way, Connie.”

“But I'm not strong enough to save you,” I forced back tears as I said it.

“Honey, no one can save me. But I want you to save yourself,” Mother said firmly.

“But, Mother, what about you?”

“My fate will come. Let us draw tarot for you.”

“Yes, Mother.”

She laid out eight cards in front of me. I turned them over.

World, The Hanged Man, The Empress, The Chariot, Death, The Hermit, The Magician, and Strength were my cards.

“My, what a disarranged future, my daughter.” Mother said sadly, trying to work out what the cards meant.

“You will suffer and make many a decisions, not all good I'm afraid. You will find trust hard yet invaluable. You will find a cause to pursue, however, how you pursue it is unclear. People will need you before the end, Connie. You should be wary of high expectations. And you will find love. I'm not sure if it's true.”

I nodded, trying to hide the fear that was bubbling up in the back of my mouth.

“Good luck, love,” Mother said, she smiled sweetly at me.

“You too, Mother.”

“I need not luck.” Mother said. Then we walked silently to bed.



A scream woke me up during the night. A loud petrified scream of terror. I knew instantly that the death I had predicted had come to pass.



"Fate Chapter 2

"Fate Chapter 3
© Copyright 2010 Lexi (soon2bewriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639309-Fate-Chapter-1