*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640041-Fox
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1640041
Guy goes hunting on werewolf turf boy is he in for a suprise but does he have a choice.
3 | Page
Title: Fox
Written by: Patrick Handley
State of completion: Just starting/restoration from near annihilation
I made the error of hunting on a werewolf packs hunting grounds. Only a fool with a serious death wish would make such a lethal decision. But the starving fool that I was I decided that avoiding the alternative outcome was worth the risks. After all my family was dependent on me for provisions now, and if there was to be any chance of us all making it through the winter this year a deer or elk now would mean the difference between a poorly fed family of five, in leeway of the three weeks of starvation that would end in death.

It would be all my fault if we starved too. I should have been out before the snows started but with no provisions, and no set up in the woods to go off of if I got snowed in it would have been suicidal. So I had waited; if to appease mothers worrying. Lot of good appeasement would do now, if I didn’t catch any thing then we were sunk.

With the first snow already fallen and partially melted I’d set out with my bow and three trusty arrows. Already two days into the hunt and not even a hare had I seen the markings of. Game had been slim this past year, and it was probably no coincidence that the number of wolf sightings had increased too. But it wasn’t like we could have moved with the onset of fall. resettling took time, money, and provisions which was just something we didn’t have in plenty. Plus father had still been with us then, so we hadn’t had reason to worry yet.

The tracks I came found, on the third day were too fresh to pass up. It seemed as though the All Mother were answering my families prayers, at last a stroke of luck. My opinion on who’d heard our prayers changed about a half an hour later. It was not the All Mother’s hand that had led me here. No, it would seem that my fathers folly had permanently banished our family from her good graces. Only the Malevolent Hunter would see the humor in what had come about. The dear trial had led me right to his hunting grounds.

For a moment I stood there weighing the risks as I looked upon the line of trees engraved with the imprints depicting the head of a wolf. Was such a risk worth taking? It was a challenge I could tell that much, enter the God of the hunts’ private domain where his hounds were kenneled. Become the hunted and if you proved the more cunning then you would be rewarded beyond reckoning. It was worth it I decided even if the odds were stacked against me. My families need outweighed the value of my life, and if nothing else perhaps my sacrifice would bring the family back under the protection of the All Mother.

Taking a deep breath, I plunged ahead. I had deer to hunt and this trail was too fresh to pass up. The wolf who picked up my trail shortly afterwards was thinking the same thing. The trail was to new to pass up and besides the scent was interesting, new, and at the same time almost familiar. I would later learn it was my scent, which drew this predator to stalk me. It would also be one of the reasons why I survived the day. Father had indeed been onto something when he taught me his way of hunting. Unlike most huntsmen who’s hunting methods had only a bow and a set of hunting knives, my fathers’ way had been… different. He had hunted with a different kind of weapons arsenal. He’d learned that if he took certain secretions from the animals he hunted and imbued his body, garments, and even weapons with them he could become that creature in the mind of his quarry until the prey saw him, and then it would be to late. Using the scents of the animals father was able to get so close to the target he could practically reach out and kill it with his bare hands; which he tried from time to time. It was eventually what got him killed. A punishment from the All Mother for having blasphemed nature by deceiving the ones he hunted, or so the elder of the village said.

They had never really agreed with one another, my father and the elder of our village. Father had believed in the All Mother like all of us did, but he thought that if she gave man every part of the animal to use so he could prosper and thrive, then that meant every part of the animal was mans to use, even its scent. The elder had disagreed. The warning he’d given was that the ways of guile, deception, sneaking about, those were the way of the wicked master of the hunt who hunted only for the glory of the kill and the taking of trophies. Disregarding the warnings, my father began instructing me in what scents could do for a hunter he also taught me how to walk silently; making not print nor sound. I believe it was this as well as several other things that allowed me to survive the day.

Father told me that the best scent was the one that was both predator, and prey. Dangerous enough to be noticed, while small enough not to be a threat to what you were hunting. Father had had his own favorite scent, which he used. He never told me what it was but he did say that once you chose a scent it was wise to stick to it. He’d been pleased with me when I chose the fox as my scent, but he’d also warned me to be wary of other predators including those among men who hunted with dogs. When the elder found out what I was being taught he flew into a rage, using his authority as the elder, he’d challenged my father to prove that his way was pure and not of the evil one. His challenge was go to the hunting grounds of the evil one and using only his way of hunting, slaughter one of the wicked hunters hounds and bring the pelt back as proof. Father set out the next day and didn’t come back, thus was there proof of the wickedness of his way.

Had the situation not been dire I wouldn’t have used the wicked way but I was desperate and something that could give me an edge now would be worth the penance I’d be doing in atonement later. The deer tracks led me on some chase crossing a stream, in several places I just about missed picking up the trail again. As the tracks faded in and out of focus signs began starting to show up that indicated recent passage. Tufts of grass chomped short leaves from some bushes partially bitten off while other areas were trimmed clean. The deer had been grazing for a time extremely recent too because the pellets of deer shit I found by a half eaten shrub were still warm! Following the signs I slowed as I neared a hill, Cautiously I began my assent. Crawling on my hands and knees I then moved to my stomach as I topped the rise. Peaking over I found what I’d sought and more. Not only was the creature fat from building it’s winter provisions up but it wasn’t just a regular old doe either but a buck. Its fur a marvelous hew of hazel, it’s head baring a ten pronged rack. The creature was not in it’s prime. It’s rack bore signs that indicated a recent fight with one of it’s own species, not uncommon considering mating season had just ended not that long ago.

With a chip here a cracked prong there it would seem the creature had lost the fight for it also limped as it walked about grazing on the remaining bits of green that the first cold had failed to snuff in it’s icy breath. Stringing my bow I knocked an arrow and took my aim. The creatures heart or perhaps it’s throat. I decided on it’s heart. There was no wind after all and I was close enough that I wouldn’t have to ark my shot in order to score a hit. Decision made I let my arrow fly. And although it took only a mere second everything seemed to slow down the moment my arrow was loosed. A blur of grey came out of nowhere from the trees on my right. My arrow was going slow by comparison they both met at the buck. With a sickening crunch things sped up. In the blink of an eye where once had grazed a buck now was a wolf hunkered over the dead creature. I froze rooted to the spot not daring to even breathe. One of the hounds of the wicked one!

As the wolf looked over his kill, he found my arrow sticking out of the creature’s side. Looking up his eyes found me, two deep golden orbs beautifully fringed with a lethal gleam. The twisting of my gut wasn’t necessary for me to know what would happen next. Almost seeming to smile, the wolf made the change before me, front legs shooting out extending into arms. Knees of the back legs swinging forward, paws flatly expanding into hands and feet, it’s body growing to an almost human figure encased in fur still bearing a wolfen head and other wolf like attributes. I stepped back astonished that I was not running yet. I watched the feral beast lean over and grab the dear. Hefting the buck up to his shoulder with a grunt the wolf stood up. Shifting the deer to a more comfortable position the werewolf walked toward me. I could tell that he was definitely smiling he seemed very pleased to see me. What hound of the wicked one wouldn’t be glad of two creatures to take as prey in offering to its master? I took another step back and then he spoke “What brings you to our neck of the woods young fox? I thought your kind roamed further down the mountain.” Not really comprehending what I was hearing I continued to back away from the werewolf as he continued to advance “You all right” he asked looking at me side ways “don’t worry this kill is as much yours as it is mine your weapon speaks that plain enough” his words began registering in my conscious over powering my fear. I tried speaking back but when I opened my mouth nothing came out as I mouthed the words I’d meant to say still backing up. This didn’t make any sense why was the monster talking to me? how was it that it could even talk; hound of the wicked one were supposed to be mindless killers. As luck would have it, while I was grappling with these new revelations, I stumbled over a rock and went tumbling backwards rolling to a stop I sprang up and ran. Any considerations of this monster being any thing more than a killer tumbling out of my head, while panic flooded in to replace it. I was doomed, prey, and feast for this predator. The wolfs shouts of protest audible in my ears only spurred me on “Hey, don’t be like that, I won’t hurt you.” and then he was chasing me his burden slowed him but not by much and unfortunate for me I didn’t realize that I was headed for the river plowing through the thick wintry foliage, obstructing my passage. I fell in easily going under. I barley managed to surface gasping for air I was caught by the current and sucked under. It was black all around and though I battled the currents force trying to resurface I finally was forced to succumb to the might of the water. I’d doomed myself and not just me but my family. I’d failed them. Dear little Maria, Jim, Viaro, Mother, Grandma, I’d failed them all. Aching with the grief of failure and water in my lungs, I fell into darkness.

An iron bar wrapped around me and then I was jerked in a direction I couldn’t fathom; up… down… indiscernible. Then, with a slam, I smacked against something hard. My mouth expelled liquid like I was hurling the river. Greedily sucking in air my lungs burned. Then I realized, as iron slammed me yet again, that I was on the snowy bank of the river. The wolf had dived in after me! Gasping in more air I started coughing out a portion of the river that had been overlooked in the first vomiting episode. Grateful to be alive for the moment I made an effort to regain my bearings. The wolf patted my back “You all right young one?” I froze yet again I was scared stiff. Then I realized the source of the stiffening was more than fear. I really was freezing! Ripping at my clothes, I struggled to strip before the cold claimed me. Realizing my intent, the wolf assisted me and then pulled me into his arms he wasn’t alone either four other wolves stood over us one held the bucks limp carcass the others gathered up my garments just as I was about to panic (for real this time) the cold got to me, I fainted.

Chapter Two
The Den
Warm, damp, and heavy, that’s what I felt like when I woke. Dizzy I tried to take in my surroundings. It was dark but what I couldn’t see I could feel, smell, and hear. The closest sounds, were the snores of three sleeping figures. Two of which had me firmly pressed between themselves, one holding me in his lap the other laying his torso in my own lap, his head lolled against my chest. Massive and covered in thick coarse fur by the feel of things. Both of those who had me between them were furry every inch of their wolf-spliced man bodies, covered completely in fur. Thankfully they were also clothed in thick leather pants and vests. The third wolfen man figure was leaned against the right shoulder of the one who held me. The one lolled against my chest smelled spicy like pine or cedar very woodsy they all smelled woodsy I realized but it seemed to vary from one wolf to the next. Not far from where I lay pinned by three sweltering wolves, the sound of scrapping filled the air. Mixed with this the crackling of a fire, the sizzle of roasting flesh teased my eardrums. The smell of mouth-watering dreams just beyond my grasp tortured my stomach, which had been deprived of good wholesome protein for many weeks now (sorry salted pork just doesn’t cut it) Detecting something else my ears picked up low conversation. Near inaudible, I strained only to barely make out what was being said as it progressed in what I believed to be the direction of the fire. “I know I thought they stuck to the lower regions too, but here he is, hunting in his man form no less. You don’t suppose he’s new to this do you.” with a shiver, I recognized the voice of the wolf who’d killed the buck I’d stalked. The features that I’d only glimpsed for forty two seconds blurred in my minds eye mingled with fear. Another voice spoke ruff and grizzled sounding, grinding my mental pictures to nothing. “Can’t be sure till he wakes up. But he does seem a little experienced with not leaving physical traces.” Pausing as if to select the proper words the second one continued speaking in his rocky tones “You stalked him, you saw the trail, not a single print. The stalker wolf responded with a grunt of acknowledgement. “That’s not easily done,” continued the second wolf, “I know that,” said the stalker. The second speaker sighed as if he had no more points to make. The sound of scraping dominated the sounds while the stalker puzzled over what had been said. Coming to his conclusion he sat and asked. “But why’d he run?” Sitting down as well the second speaker thought for a moment and then asked “Did you make like you were gonna hurt him?” The stalker wolf laughed, and then said, “No I told him the buck was partly his, I was friendly, didn’t charge him or nothing.” A sigh from the second speaker followed by a “well that looks like your problem right there,” gave what sounded like a satisfactory answer. “you were too friendly,” the stalker midway through a “what,” got cut off by the second speaker, “should of kept your distance and let him be for a bit, he might not of panicked then.” I myself disagree and think that even if he had turned and left I still would have panicked and gone racing home hysterically but that's just me.
An “oh,” of realization dawning on the stalker wolf seemed to be the end of the conversation.
What more needed saying?
The stalker wolf had made a beginners mistake and his senior, pack brother had given him a correction.
Curiosity soon birthed another line of discussion. “But, why would a werefox come onto clearly marked werewolf territory,” the stalker paused then trying to come up with a point that would give his question merit... I think. Finding the point he thought would be a good one, he continued on with his line of thought, “I mean what if I couldn’t tell the difference between a human and a were-brother in his man skin?” The wolf paused again unsure if he was being brushed off or not, the other wolf who must of appeared not to be paying attention asked, “What is it you’re saying Will” sounding perplexed the stalker wolf who’d been called Will gave an unwitting “huh” the second wolf sighed. “There you go again saying half of a thought and not finishing it” a whine of embarrassment, followed being called out on his absentmindedness. “from what I gather you’re wondering what werefox in his right mind would come on our turf when there are clearly young stupid puppies around who might not know the difference between friends and food yet, is that what you’re trying to say?” the wolf called Will, insults aside seemed to agree. “Yeah that.” Re-situating himself on the ground the second wolf grunted and then said “Guess you can ask him when he wakes.” I felt a vexingly uncomfortable with the idea of being asked stuff when I woke. It’s true I had no sure way of knowing if the wolves would kill me or not, but from what I’d overheard I got the idea that these wolves thought I was some kind of fox and kin to them. That was a comforting thought… On the one hand, I could pose as a fox and make my escape. On the other hand, they could get pissed, and come and kill, me and my family when they learned that I’d tricked them. I decided to tell them the truth. It did not look like I had very good odds either way. Even if they let me go, I still didn’t have the much needed food that I’d endangered my life by following the stupid trail here in the first place. And, if I did escape, what likelihood was there that I’d catch anything once I got off of wolf turf. All that there was to be had, had already been had. And what ever remained probably wouldn’t see us through the heart of winter. Either way I threw the dice, the odds were staked against me. My family would die either way; it was just a matter of whether we went as food or skeletons. While I brewed in dark repose I think the heat of the compression between the three wolf men and the rhythmic scraping of the deer hide lulled me to sleep again.
I’m not sure how much time passed. Heck, I’m not even sure how much time had passed the first time I woke since falling in the river. All I can do for now is speculate, that it was more than a few hours. I awoke again, this time lying in a bed of warm fur. a particularly warm pelt behind me with an arm over my left side, pressing with the flat palm of a wolf/human hand paw and forearm, against my now clothed chest.
The wolf pushed me up against his much larger furry chest. I think what woke me had to have been the slobbery tongue of the wolf man as he lay behind me caressing the back of my neck with the slick leather that would hang from any dog like creatures mouth. It felt strangely… soothing. I don’t know why, and as I became aware of how things were going the soothed feeling disappeared, to be replaced by unease and tension.
The body of the werewolf who had me in his care picked up on my changes in state of consciousness almost instantaneously; resulting in a low bark from deep in his chest summoning the others, forward.
I'm certain we've all done it at least once, feigning to be asleep. Whether or not we've been successful at fooling others into believing us to be asleep or not is a different matter. For me in this particular case my portrayal turned out to be a complete failure. The phrases like "He's awake!" and "Don't go charging up to him like that Will," uttered in low whispers that were surprisingly audible because of there raspy delivery floated through the air. Hovering ever closer to where I lay caged by the arm of the slobber monger who had me at his mercy. The sound of foot steps on the stone floor of the cave drawing nearer seemed for all there softness to be all the more menacing. I remembered something my father had told me, how dogs and wolves especially could smell fear. He'd told me they could smell it and had a tendency to prey on it. Trying for the life of me to stifle the fear running up my spine, it caused me to shiver. Certainty of failure plagued me until... the warm breath of the wolf behind me cascaded over me. He let it out in a great big sigh in my hair, which helped tremendously. Relaxing or trying to I prepared to face my doom. A warm paw on my shoulder shook me to see if I really was conscious, "Hey you awake little fox." Pinching my eyes tighter I pushed away murmuring "Five more minutes." Burrowing deeper into the warmth of the wolf man behind me as I did so. The paw like hand patted my cheek roughly. "Come on, faker, you don't have to play dead we're all friends here." cautiously opening an eye just a bit I surveyed what there was to be seen, a wolf man crouched on his hind legs in front of the shelf like recession in the cave wall that I lay in. The shelf looked to have been dug out for a bed or at least some one had turned it into one. Two others stood looking from behind the one who crouched in front of me.
The gruff sounding one, in a human form looked as rough as he spoke. Sporting a full beard of black hair with more covering a fair amount of his chest that the brown leather vest he wore left exposed stood too the right. Arms like cannons folded over his chest, giving him an imposing look. A stocky build only added to his coarse appearance, and while shorter than the wolfman next to him by several heads, he radiated size in the promise of how easily he could kill if he wanted to.
The wolf man to the gruff ones right could only be the Stalker wolf who's name was Will.
Will still as he'd appeared when he changed before me stood two heads taller than the gruff man, his coat was a solid grey that border lined on the color of cold steel, and his build as a wolf was by far not near as impressive as his elder. Lacking in all but his shoulders, other than those he seemed kind of thin but, still it was a lean kind of thin.
The wolf in front of me who crouched in front of the other two so he could be on my level wore as it had been referred to his human skin which of slight build and brown hair, had a calm smooth look about it accented with the ghosting of Carmel facial hair about his chin. Everyone’s eyes where of the same color. yellow like gold. Even so, closer examination revealed different shades with each wolf, but to the generic eye it looked yellow. The one in front of me reached out his hand perfectly human if a bit hairy on the back and with nails that needed clipping. he placed it on my head, rubbing my greasy mud brown hair about. "Come on little fox you can open your eyes we're not that ugly."
A roar of laughter erupted behind the man "speak for yourself Marlow" bellowed the gruff one. I flinched, the explosion of the gruff wolfs guffaws, chilling my body. I found myself scooting underneath the wolf man who held me, I'm not very big so such a feet was quite possible for me. The wolf man lifted himself out of my way letting me get behind him. "Jagger, knock it off you're scarring the crap out of him." The wolf called Marlow said turning to the rough looking wolf over his shoulder. "Sorry." The gruff man said stifling his laughter and coming up to the empty spot next Marlow, I looked out from behind the wolf man who had me behind him. the feel of his waging tail brushing against me, bringing comfort.
Stifling my shaking I looked at the gruff one from this safer view. The name Jagger fit the stocky wolf perfectly, rough and jagged not soft looking at all he surprised me then with his smile. Jagger's entire face seemed to lose all of it's menace and his eyes, they were gentle even if his nature wasn't. "Sorry little one." He backed off then taking the stalker wolf called Will by the scruff of the neck and dragging him back away from me too. Will had been advancing to Marlow’s other side effectively boxing me in.
The wolf man Will, gave a yip when Jagger seized his scruff and began towing him away. Protesting at being dragged he reached with his hands to get control of his neck fur again, shouting. "Hey, let go!" He let out a barked whine when Jagger smacked him over the head releasing him, "Didn't you hear me earlier? said Jagger. You crowd em' and they freak." turning then to me he gave that soft smile and then hardened it off as he turned his gaze on the other man saying "Come on Marlow give him some room," when the man called Marlow looked reluctant to Jagger took as step towards him. "Come on, back off, he's not ready for this yet." Marlow stood up, following Will who'd been sent away whining, towards a bend in the cave from which a fire light could be seen.
I watched them go. Thinking that maybe I should of handled this differently. The wolf whose name I hadn't heard sat up then and looked at me hiding behind his back. His fur, a hazelnut color also had a sheen to it that the others had lacked. Stocky build was his too in way of barrel sized arms and legs that seemed like several sets of the containers had been stacked beside each other. His chest could more effectively be described as a red wood stump. he'd been well endowed with his build but so also was he favored by height. Come to think of it he was huge a giant among men guarantied and the largest werewolf I'd seen today. Sense would of said be afraid and run, but I felt safe around him for some reason. Turning his boulder sized head on an angle and giving a small whine, he reached down and scooping me back up pulling me into a sitting position next to him.
I watched him reach over for one of the blankets. The wolf picked it up in his right hand and situated it about my shoulders before putting his own arm around me too. I leaned into his furry body, the soft warmth comforting. Comforting that is until Jagger came over and plopped down next to me. I moved closer still towards the big wolf man, as Jagger crossed his legs, looking at me thoughtfully. I didn't much care for his scrutiny but, with the big wolf pinning me to his side, there could be no escaping. I sat there, edgily shifting under that heavy withering stair. finally it softened, Jaggers face relaxing into that Gentle smile, that I was all ready coming love. "So, you got enough room now that the puppy and other dog are gone." I nodded, saying "Yes... and thanks." I did feel less crowded now that there were fewer wolves around. "Hey no problem little guy," looking up at the big wolf then Jagger patted the arm that lay over me holding me in place. Instantly the giant wolf lifted it off, letting me go he rearranged himself so he sat with his back leaning against the shelf's side wall. The relocation put him farther away from me by about five feet. It left me feeling vulnerable him being that far from me now. Extending his massive legs straight out he moved them about me one massive calf ending in a large foot on my left and right. Jagger's smile grew Broadening into a grin, "Jason really likes you" said Jagger giving the big wolfs great foot paw pads a shove from one of his own legs. the wolf man reached down with his mitt sized hands and slid me back to him lifting me from under the armpits and then sitting me on his lap leaning me against his tank of a chest. Hooking his right hand and forearm under mine and over my gut getting me snug against himself immediately I felt safe and then... 'DON'T BE AFRAID LITTLE ONE. NO ONE WILL HURT YOU WHILE I PROTECT YOU MY BROTHER' I felt weird what had been said it happened in my mind that was all I could think of to describe it. Jagger put up a hand and said "Easy Jason he's not used to that kind of talk." looking up at Jason who held me and then over to Jagger I made to ask, What happened but before I could speak Jagger broke in saying, "Sorry about that, I should of warned you, Jason he... well he's more wolf than man so he has a tendency to talk with his mind." Jason leaned down and breathed on my head again before looking up at Jagger 'IT DIDN'T HURT HIM,' Jagger shook his head "No but I don't want our friend here getting freaked out, again." I felt confusion behind me followed by 'WHY SHOULD HE BE AFRAID OF MY VOICE, IT'S COMFORTED HIM SO FAR.' Jagger rubbed a hand in his beard and then nodded his surrender to the truth of the fact. "All right Jason but don't get to vocal with him all right."


© Copyright 2010 Fruanc J. H. (patrickhandley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640041-Fox