*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640670-Wars-End
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1640670
A longtime war nears its end. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words: igloo, aurora and midnight

War's End

Queen Aurora stood before the group of top generals. Her hands were on her hips as she looked out over the attentive audience. In full battle dress, she was an imposing figure.

“The Yeti wars have gone on long enough.”

As one, the seasoned soldiers gasped. This was not what they had expected. For generations they had fought. That was the way of the world. It had been going on for so long that the beginnings of the conflict were more myth than fact. The truth was – they now fought because no one knew how stop.

Until this moment.

“Yesterday, I dispatched a messenger. I challenged the Yeti leader to put their best fighter against ours in a winner-take-all fight. It is to take place on the Great Ice Plains under the midnight sun, two days hence.”

The room burst into shouting and arguing.

“Who will we send?”

“We are doomed if we lose!”

The queen listened a moment before raising her hand, immediately silencing the room.

“This is not open for discussion.” She turned and left the chamber.

Two days later, on the Great Ice Plains, the largest Yeti on the planet walked out to the designated coordinates. There, it found a simple igloo with no one in sight.

A moment later, a single warrior emerged wrapped in a bearskin blanket.

The heavily armed Yeti roared – typical battlefield bravado. It was easily three times the size of its human opponent. He would make short work of this hairless creature ensuring his place in Yeti lore for eternity.

The Yeti lifted his sword and charged while still several feet away.

The warrior tossed off the blanket and the Yeti found himself skidding to an abrupt halt. Doubt filled his soul as he looked into the determined eyes of Queen Aurora.

Word count 300



© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640670-Wars-End