*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1643535-Bad-Parenting
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Editorial · Family · #1643535
Who says you can't be your child's best friend?
Bad Parenting?
Trina L.C. Sonnenberg


I recently read an article regarding bad parenting. One thing that was brought up in the piece was that it was not a good idea to try to be your child's friend. The piece went on to state that attempting to be your child's friend was a major failing of parents of my generation. I beg to differ.
When I left my oldest son's father, he and I were a team. We spent every possible moment we could together, and I felt like the lioness with her cub; teaching him everything he would need to know to make it in the world on his own.

I encouraged him to think for himself and to ask me anything he wanted to know. I promised never to lie to him and made sure he always knew that he could talk to me about anything.

And, he did just that.

We began our adventure together when he was all of the age of two. He is now 20 and we have the best relationship still. I was deeply touched when he announced to me, the other day, that I am the best friend he has in all the world; that I always have been.

That, in itself tells me that I did a good job being his mom.

The thing I missed most when my boy left home, was him coming into my office to chat.

Although his younger brother and I never went through the 'test of fire' together as he and I did, we have an awesome relationship too.

He knows he can talk to me about anything and frequently wants to bend my ear. I can only hope that I am his best friend.

In a day when most kids do not like their parents - that's an understatement, I am honored to say that is not the case with my kids and me. I am proud to be my son's best friend. I am proud of my son. I am proud of both of my children. I am proud of the parent that I am.
© Copyright 2010 Trina L.C. Sonnenberg (tlcpro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1643535-Bad-Parenting