*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644249-The-Curse-of-Dr-Dowella
Rated: E · Other · Horror/Scary · #1644249
When Dr Dowella breaks a promise to one of his patients... things go from bad to worse...
        Dr Dowella sat in his office messing with a roll of bandages. He worked in the A&E part of the hospital. It was around 7pm and everything was silent. Suddenly he jumped as his computer beeped. It was only an email but in a flash it was up on the screen. It had been emailed from Julia, the driver of an ambulance and it said that she had a seventy year old drunken man with a head injury on board. Quickly Dr Dowella tidied away the bandages, slipped a pair of clear rubber bloves on and jogged out the room where other doctors and nurses stood ready.
        Just thirty seconds later the man was brought in on a stretcher with Julia following behind holding a bag of Fluids. She told Dowella what had happened and what the extenct of his injuries were. He had split his head down the side and just needed a few stitches. Sounded straight forward- yet the man was drunk and mad. Almost at once, a nurse taped him down and put a small needle in his finger. "Aaawwww! Mind what your doing you son of a b****!" he shouted trying to snatch his hand back.   
        "I'll take over from here" Dr Dowella said in a calm voice. He took the injection, slid it gently in the man's finger and kept it there with a ripped up bandage tied around the outside. There was blood everywhere and the patient started to shake, Dowella never seemed to notice all the blood anymore as he had been doing his job for nearly twenty years!
        Within half an hour the man was lying down with his head stitched and no longer bleeding. Still he waved his arms about and made one woman with a broken leg next door pass out because of his language.
        The next day the man was back to his normal self but with a bit of a sore head and a hangover. He apologised to the woman whom had passed out and thanked all the nurses and doctors. The last he thanked was Dowella, he was in his office again as usual so when the patient knocked on the door he jumped again. "Come in" he said in a deep voice.
        "I wanted to say thank you" the man said (as there was another nurse in the room looking at blood samples. Dr Dowella told the nurse to leave and then all of a sudden the patient took a gun out his pocket and pointed it at Dowella's head. Immediately the doctor's hand went for the emergency button, but the patient sneered "Press that and I'll kill us both" he said. "What do you want?" the scared doctor asked him. "I want you to kill somebody- kill somebody and I will forget I ever met you. I want you to take a woman or child and kill them. You have one hour otherwise you will have bad luck for the rest of your life" he said talking in a loud clear voice.
        The doctor sniggered "Bad luck for the rest of my life- what are you on about". The man with the gun sighed "If only you could understand what I'm saying.Okay then if you think the challenge is too easy then I suggest you kill your own child". Dowella's grin faded "How do you know I have a daughter?". The man laughed and pointed the gun at a framed photo of a young girl that looked like Dowella on his desk "Kinda obvious ain't it?" he chuckled.
        The man with the gun left and Dowella quickly called a taxi and went home. He wasn't going to kill his own thirteen year old daughter Maria. She was his only child and anyway, he didn't believe in bad luck. Little did he know that one hour later it was all about to change.
        Fifteen minutes later his wife Rebecca placed a home- made chicken pie on the table. Straight away Rebecca and Maria tucked in but Dowella was still thinking about the man earlier. He should of gone straight to the police but they would of laughed same as he did when he told them about the bad luck thing.
      Suddenly the clock struck half past and all of a sudden Rebecca started choking desperately. Dr Dowella tried his hardest to stop her choking but there was nothing caught in her throat. A few minutes later she stood still and collapsed on the floor... dead. It wasn't until Maria screamed that Dr Dowella realised that his bad luck had started.
                                          A Month Later

        Once the ashes were scattered, Maria had calmed down a bit and Dowella went back to work, things started to go strange again... It was early one Wednesday morning and Dowella had the day off work. Maria was at school and had been for an hour so he had the place to himself.
        It was around 2 in the afternoon when Dowella got a phone call from the school. Once he heard the news he dropped the phone, grabbed his car keys and ran outside into his car. The phone call had said that Maria had been hit by a truck and was barely alive.
        Two minutes later, Dowella was at the hospital with his daughter lying unconscious on a hospital bed. She had fractured her skull and her body was full of black and blue bruises. Maria had survived this time but who was to say that the bad luck wouldn't strike again?
        A further four weeks later and Maria was still in hospital, although she was eating and going to the toilet by herself now. Although she could of gone back home a week ago, the doctors kept her in becaus whenever she saw a truck she now had an epileptic fit. Every now and then she had then now, aslo she had a large scar over her beautiful face that would stay there forever. Once she was allowed home, Dowella carried his daughter home and sat her on his lap in the taxi. The house was eery and silent and a little spider crawled across the door mat.
        That night there were lots of bangs and then the sound of somebody creeping up the stairs. Tears rolled down the doctors face as he realised who it was. He ran into Maria's room and woke her up. Quickly he told her everything and she made every effort not to ave another fit and to keep herself together,
        The man which had brought death to Rebecca came into the bedroom with a different gun, fully loaded pointed at the father and daughter cowering in the corner of the room. "I told you to kill your family- you didn't so I am going to do it for you" the man sneered showing his yellow teeth. "No.......!" Dowella shouted as he heard the bang of the gun.
      Dr Dowella felt the bullet hit his chest and fell to the ground. Beside him he felt Maria go into a fit as she screamed non- stop. Suddenly the fit got out of controla dn suddenly she lay very stiff and went cold. "I..... I love you" she murmured to her father as she shook and slumped to the floor. Dowella was pouring with blood as he lay over his dead daughter. The man shot him in the head and he too slumped down on top of his daughter... They may of both been defeated but still the man is out there killing and torturing families- all over a needle in his finger...


© Copyright 2010 R.Houghton (rachaelray15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644249-The-Curse-of-Dr-Dowella