*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644504-Phase-three
by Kylin
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1644504
The third and final phase of the experiment.
Year two

Kisen and I shared a drink in celebration of our success. While he most certainly has a side that is both dark and cruel that I dearly hope I am never on. He is however a remarkable genius, and could possibly be a personable fellow if it were not for the paranoia and quirks. I do wonder how long it has been since he has left this basement, or if he even wants to.

Year two month one

He has begun under going training for simple missions, a process which has gone terribly so far. On a simple retrieval mission he explored he explored every inch of the space, and might have continued if I had let him. I don’t know how he can do anything other then what he is ordered. Even with his resilience, he has been undergoing mental conditioning for two years.

Year two month one week one

So after the fiasco of the last training mission last week I questioned him. I realized that we will need to be very specific with any objective we give him. When he was told to retrieve the package, and it’s location he looked far beyond that and came to the conclusion of needing to search the area in case of complications. I should have anticipated this; much of his training was dealing with the type of complications that would occur. I suppose this is why I will have to be his handler when he is field ready.

Year two month two

The training is going as well as can be expected. Though how well he will behave in a more complex situation I am not sure. I hope well as the idea I to have the ability to improvise that machines lack and the strength and manageability of an android. How well he will be able to improvise with how much conditioning we’ve done I’m not sure.

Year 2 month 4

We have begun putting him through more and more complex mission, as long as the objective is clear there will be no trouble. I hope. When he doesn’t have an objective or doesn’t understand it there is trouble. He quickly deteriorates to confusion and his reaction to the situation is unpredictable. At best he will simply watch with complete passivity.

Year 2 month 4 week 3

We have created something of a standby, which puts him in a light sleep. Unlike the full sleep the time limit is as long as a week, perhaps longer. He recalls little of what happens and doesn’t have the slight disorientation that often occurs with longer term sleep. What we have yet to discern what if anything he remembers of his time spent in such a sleep period.

Year 2 month 5 week 3

I do believe that he is almost deployable, though their will be some tests to see what he does in a situation where he is only told the objective, not the method he is to use to reach it. I have a hope is that he will be even more efficient as the training has given him judgment that would rival a veteran soldier if not more.

Year 2 Month 6

Something went horribly and frighteningly wrong. Someone sabotaged his vr room. I don’t know how, but I do know that it made a horrible mess. This project had been going quite well, and now this. The actual machine will probably be easier to scrape then fix. It’s also a rather good thing that I was in there instead of a regular tech, since they really have no concept as to how the commands work.

How someone ended the program early I am not sure. What I do know is that the computer just shut down, and he destroy monitoring camera, which while it shows that the training is effective was quite inconvenient. As I had to go in myself, I wasn’t about to call some tech, or security. That would just be embarrassing. I was expecting him to try to kill me, he didn’t he threatened to, but he wanted out. Even after all this time. In truth if he had wanted to kill me I would have been dead. It would not have been difficult to kill me before I could do or say anything. I was foolish on a truly colossal scale. Instead he did the ludicrous and tried to use me and a way out, well a simple command put an end to that.

Year 2 month 6 week 2

The culprit behind is yet to be found, which is only making Kisen’s paranoia worse. I can be grateful that he does not suspect me as I feat what would happen if he concluded that I betrayed his trust. In truth little has been discovered at all, other then that whoever the culprit is had to have been in the room. This only limits it to high level techs, which is rather unfortunate as they are not the easiest to come by. The motive is what truly confounds me however, beyond causing damage and possibly my death, and at best Kisen’s as he is on occasion with me. Beyond the slight hope of it derailing the project there was little point, unless they thought that somehow he could just walk out. Really the most notable achievement is that the security is going to be made tighter. I am actually worried as to how that will even be possible.

Year 2 month 6 week 3

The culprit has been found, beyond that I it is need to know and apparently I don’t need to know. Even though it was my subject and I was the one whose neck was quite literally on the line. I don’t really why the vr shut down, I am more curious as to why it was done. Though my misgivings aside there has been at least one positive outcome, he has become much easier to handle. I am however of the mind that if there is ever a next time, he will kill me. There will be no next time, he has been made unable to attack any of the staff.

Year 2 Month 7

We’ve been given an ultimatum of sorts; we are going to be giving a demonstration of our subject. Make the show pony prance so the military men see the potential of our stock. If I fail however the consequences will be grim, my particular subject would be shut down, and there is even a chance of the whole project being terminated. This is something I cannot allow, both for progress sake and for my own. He will have to be all but deployable by the end of the year, which is not undoable. He will merely need to be kept compliant.

Year 2 month 7 week 2

I do wish I had a clearer idea of how the other subjects were doing. The best I can get is some poorly veiled insult that I have been requiring the most of his attention. It is not my fault that he is so will full, or that he was never broken in properly since he was brought in so late. I told them, I told Kisen that he wasn’t ready. I of course was ignored to meet some arbitrary deadline. What good does it do if he ends up being uncontrollable?

Year 2 month 8

Four months left and we still need to keep a tight reign on him, not as tight as before. I am quite certain it is far tighter then we will have during the demonstration, unless it is something painfully simple we have little chance of success. If the test is not a variation of something we have trained him in, the result will be disastrous.

Year 2 month 9

We’ve been doing well in drilling how to reach objectives, and how to eliminate or otherwise overcome obstacles. What situations call for what method and the like, I hope he will be ready. Kisen seems more then confident that he will impress the military men, but he thinks little of them. At least form the medical department’s perspective the experiment has been a success if nothing else. Kisen as informed that the threat of shutting down the project is a bluff, there has already been another two rounds of experiments started, and another to be started soon.

Year 2 Month 10

The only problem I am able to see is his inability to act without an objective. This must be an almost painfully clear objective. He cannot be allowed to have his own interpretation of the objective, out of resentment he will vary as much as he can from it. As a precaution key words have given clear meaning. Undetected means he cannot be seen heard or felt by an unfriendly or neutral parties, there can be not trace of his presence. Unseen simply means that no alarms can be set off, and knocking out guards and security is acceptable. This is yet another reason why he will need me as a handler. The very idea of explaining this to someone is frustrating and the chances of it really being understood are quite low.

Year 2 month 12

One month until we have to give our demonstration. It would seem that it will be far less complex then I feared. In fact it will be quite simple; he has to sneak into a high security bunker guarded by a regiment of elite soldiers without setting off a single alarm, which is one of two restrictions, the other being radio silence. Meaning I will have to be incredibly careful when giving him instructions.

Year 3 month 1

The operation went splendidly well. I think even Kisen was surprised at his performance, it seems that the elite solders would make problems dealing with the AI we’ve been training him against. While the demonstration going well is a very good thing, it does distress me as it means they will want to use him in the field, and wherever he is used, I am there as his handler. This does not thrill me in the least, I have grown quite used ot the comforts here in the past years and am loathe to leave.

Year 3 month 2

So they have found a way of scamming a free trail of sorts out of us, as they claim they want to see him in action on the field before signing the contract. It is such a simple mission, he is going to be used as a scout to find them all the intelligence they need before launching an attack, and he must do it with out leaving them the least bit aware.

Year 3 month 2 week 2

After his success with the trail run they signed the contract. We are going to be deployed in a few weeks time. I dread the time I will be spending on these isolated bases, void of any kind of refinement. It’s amusing though as I have been congratulated by the staff here, I think they simply are happy to see me go if only temporarily.

Year 3 Month 3

We arrived at the base a few days ago, where it is classified and I have not been told. I say that it is in some life forsaken desert. It been only a few days and already I miss home, it is strange to think of the deep basement complex as such but it is. I wish to go back to the sterile labs and controlled environment, I find this heat and constant grit unbearable.

Year 3 month 4

A full month in this dusty, hot oven of a base and I am all the worse for it. He’s been sent on many reconnaissance missions gather vital information that I am told will half or even quarter casualties. One thing that has improved is I have been moved to the officer’s tent, they are not nearly so rough or unhygienic as the average soldier around here, and the food is far better. They also make much better company as they have some understanding of how the relationship between Mhaad and the military works.

Year 3 month 4 week 2

Someone had the foolish idea of having some sort of exercise on base; which he had to partake. It seems they want to see how he works as he is being used as a sniper of sorts for the next mission, as well as heavy infantry as he can maneuver far easier while carrying heavy weaponry then any of the soldiers here. While I did expect it to go horribly wrong, with him utterly destroying the regiment with a troublesome amount of injuries and casualties; the result was not so terrible. He did win over the regiment with a ease that I think scares them, there were no major injuries a few scrapes and bruises but nothing that hardened soldiers would whine about. It seems the practice mode that was drilled into him early on was a very good thing.

Year 3 month 5

The stage of the mission was a success with minimal casualties I am told. The one General thanked me, which I think was supposed to be on honor of sorts. They do not have any real understand of how the scientific mind works, this was all merely part of an experiment which happened to benefit them, and their soldiers. I am incredibly relived that I am leaving in a few days. I just hope that things are much the same back at the lab.

Year 3 month 5 week 2
Things are as I had left the, except that there is another strain being tested, and dozens of faces I have never seen before. I think Kisen angry at me for having left, perhaps even a feeling of betrayal, though I hoe he is simply annoyed by the constant yapping of the new stock of scientist. It was not as though I wanted to leave. Though I hope the funds that our success has brought is some reconciliation. If that isn’t then the fact that we may well be getting trained military men as our next line of subjects should be. Someone high up wants to create a regiment of soldiers much like the subjects that were contracted out.

Year 3 month 6

To some degree I think I have managed to reconcile myself to Kisen. After a few drinks and an exchange of miseries, it seems the new techs are even more incompetent and troublesome then I ever was, and while the new and willing subjects do make him happy the loud and meddlesome military presence does not.

Year 3 Month 6 week 2

I haven’t been given a new assignment as of yet, though I am grateful that it seems my subject will not be used as an operative again as a third strain subject with similar ablates will be taking his place. So subject 12 will be placed into a deeper and long term sleep state until he is needed for something. Kisen has told me that I will most likely be given a subject of the fourth strain, when it’s finally developed. Until then, and maybe even after I am something of a liaison between Kisen and the military officer as he find him quite intolerable.

Year 3 month 7

It seems that strain four is quite different in nature from the strain I dealt with. It allows for far more change in the structure of the subject, as well as parts been far less permanent. This new strain it seems will be used for the special opts regiment that is being formed, which means that the subject I am to be caring for will be far more compliant, which will be a relief.

Year 2 month 8

Progress with the new subject has been smooth and to be honest quite bland. The subject is merely some personality lacking soldier who bares everything with a grimace. I never thought I would miss the difficulty that subject 12 always presented but I find myself admitting that I do. Out of some strange whimsical desire I visited him. He had been in the sleep state for months, and while was asleep. Be it my own mind playing tricks I detected the faintest hint of annoyance in his blank seeping expression. It would not surprise me if the simple fact that he was trapped in such a state was causing him agitation.

Year 2 Month 8 day 2

I am a damned man. He is gone. The security system was torn apart form the inside out. The only trace is that something hacked into a security scanner and shut the whole thing down after tearing it to pieces. Kisen is of the mind that I met some accomplice on the outside and had their help in stealing him, a theory which is solely based on the fact that I was the last on in the room. If Kisen finds even on shred of evidence that might prove his theory I am a dead man.

Year 3 Month 8 week 1

I am leaving while I still can. My security pass hasn’t been revoked yet and I still have access to some valuable files. I feel as though I am a traitor, but I would rather be a living traitor then a dead loyalist. I know how much these files are worth, if he conditions of the first subjects ever found it’s way to public ears MMHAD would lose it’s government contracts, it would be enough to cripple them.
© Copyright 2010 Kylin (kylin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644504-Phase-three