*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644922-Early-Morning-Sun
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1644922
“Hello, fairies,” Jill murmured, a smile finding purchase on her face.
Early Morning Sun

Sitting on the patio, Jill felt a shiver run through her as the night exhaled softly preparing for the early morning sun. A slight breeze caressed her bare shoulders raising small goose-bumps.

"Cold?" asked Rory, slipping an arm around her.

"Not anymore." With a smile, she leaned into him, enjoying the sudden flush of warmth that flooded through her.

"Listen. Do you hear that?"

Jill strained but heard only the faint sounds of air dancing through the shadows. She looked at him askance.

Rory saw the puzzled look, illuminated by the moon, and smiled. "That faint stirring isn't the wind. It's the fairy-folk on promenade. On nights like this, they come out and dance, displaying their joy and love – for life and for each other."

Without waiting for an answer, Rory stood up, pulling her out onto the lawn. Holding her tight, he led her through his own unique version of a waltz. As they moved across the dew laden grass, he began to hum.

"What is that?"

"Honestly, I don't know," he said. "It's the music of the promenade, I guess."

Jill couldn't keep a straight face and they collapsed, giggling and then breaking into laughter as they held each other until the sun rose.


Jill woke up to find her cheeks wet but her face in a smile. Was it a memory, a dream, or a message, she wondered? "Rory, are you here?" she whispered into the dark, silent room.

It had been two months since the accident. She could feel the anger rising in her – at the drunk driver that had killed Rory, at Rory for insisting on going out that night, at life for its unfairness.

They had found a bouquet of flowers in the wreckage. At first, she was confused until she remembered that it had been their six-month anniversary. Why did he have to be such a complete romantic? she thought and then the tears came again.

She glanced at the clock, its floating red numbers marking the growing gulf between her and Rory. She knew that sleep wouldn't come now. Throwing back the covers, she willed herself into motion. Movement is good. Move away from the darkness that threatens to devour me. The sun will rise soon and life will go on.

Jill wasn't sure how she ended up on the patio. She took a deep breath of the cool night air. The backyard seemed to shimmer like the stars that filled the sky. As she sat quietly, she became aware of a faint rustling sound. "Hello, fairies," she murmured, a smile finding purchase on her face. Listening intently, she could almost hear ... music!

Unsure what was going on, Jill rose and slowly began to move, the music becoming more distinct as she caught the rhythm and began to sway in time with it.

Closing her eyes, she felt an odd but comforting melody come to her lips. Where have I heard that before? formed but the query was pushed from her mind as she felt strong arms surround her, guiding her.

Giving herself over to the feeling, Jill did not question or doubt. Instead, eyes shutting out the world, she joined the promenade and moved with joy and love until the darkness faded.

Notes
An entry for "Invalid Item
Prompt: "Early Morning Sun"

Word Limit: 600
Word Count: 542

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644922-Early-Morning-Sun