*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1645822-The-Scoop-on-Romance
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1645822
Fan-fiction based on CNN's weekend team and entry for the V-day Daily Flash Fiction
It’s 9am. Betty removes the microphone from her blouse and follows TJ off the CNN set. TJ turns to her, puzzled. "No flowers, no candy?"
"Not even a card with a stupid little Cupid."
"He's still got 15 hours."
"Then I rip his heart out." Betty contorts her fist as if crushing her boyfriend's heart.
"Well, I told you he wasn't the sentimental type."
All humor drops from Betty's face, "If you value your safety, don't remind me that you introduced us."
"But..." He stops as she raises a finger. Her cell was vibrating. An unlisted number.
"Hello."
"Hey babe, it's me.
"Hi honey. Just wrapped up the broadcast. Did you watch?"
"Um...no. Slight problem." Betty's gut trembles as worst case scenarios fly through her head. "I'm in jail."
"What!?!"
"Kinda got into it with..."
"I don't care. I can't take...this anymore."
"Betty, I get 1 call. Please listen."
Betty inhales deeply. 2 years of dating and he hasn't changed. Still he at least deserves to be heard. He’d always been there when she needed him. "What do you need?"
“Judge won't be in to set bail ‘till morning. Can you go to my place and walk Oscar now? He hasn't been walked since yesterday morning."
“You idiot. How could you do that to him?” She hated dogs, but had a soft spot for the aging Border Collie. "Fine. I’ll go after work. You ok?"
"I'm fine. Can you go right now?"
"Ugh. I have a job."
"TJ can cover."
Shaking her head, "Fine. Bye."
She hangs up and tracks down TJ.
"Got an emergency, can you cover?"
"Sure. Happy Valentine's Day."
"Whatever."
Betty storms away.
TJ grabs his cell and makes a call. "She's on her way and she's pissed. Good luck with the surprise party."
© Copyright 2010 John Josephson (johngoner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1645822-The-Scoop-on-Romance