*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646317-Wind-and-Darkness
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1646317
The tragedy that occurs when a car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. (497 words)
"Try it again." The engine struggles to start and then dies for the fifth time straight. This has never happened before, the car just stopped working, there's no reason for it not to keep going. I stand up and shut the hood and my friend steps out of the driver's seat.

"So? You know the problem?", asks my friend?
"No, no clue. Everything looks perfectly fine.", I reply.

"Then what the hell are we supposed to do?" I can tell that he's starting to lose his patience. "We haven't passed anything even resembling a human built structure in almost 3 hours. We don't know how much longer it's going to be to another place either. Are we going to walk?"

"What other options do we have? Tell you what. I'll walk up and try to find somewhere with a mechanic. You just stay here and watch the car."

He looks relieved that he isn't the one that has to walk. He walks back over to the car and gets back in. I turn around and reluctantly start walking down the street. Just my luck that the car decided to break down around this area, it's creepy as hell. There's pretty much no life whatsoever, it's practically silent. But every once in awhile there are strange sounds that come from the sides of the road, the rustling of bushes, crunching of leaves and twigs. After about 45 minutes a house appears, just a lone, solitary house. Extremely nervous, I go up and knock on the door, no answer. Again, then I hear noises on the other side of the door. An old man, around 60 years old answers the door. He looks emaciated, he's totally bald, and one of his eyes doesn't seem to work anymore. I tell him about what happened and he says that he could take a look, though apparently he doesn't have a car. He doesn't look like he'd be able to walk all that far but it didn't seem to bother him.

The entire way back is practically silent but there was one thing that the man said. It really worried me.
"Bad place to break down, young man. Around here the darkness moves, the wind talks, you better hurry on your way."

There was no sign of my friend when we got back. I broke out in a run to the car, extremely worried, and regretted it. The inside of the car was entirely caked with blood and there was no sign of life whatsoever. Then a noise came from behind me, when I looked the old man was dragged into the forest so fast that I could hardly follow the movement. Then the words of the man came true, the darkness moved, the wind spoke. I fell to my knees at this corruption of reality, no sound would escape my lips.

A car alone on the side of the road, covered in blood, nothing else, except the darkness and the wind.
© Copyright 2010 Kairouseki (kairouseki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646317-Wind-and-Darkness