*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646533-A-Child-of--Earth
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1646533
A Revenant, now faces his equal his only advantage gone. - 495 words.
I have lived and died a hundred lives. Each time I revive, I listen for the sounds of others before digging my way from my fresh grave. I slink away with a bottle of cemetery dirt in my hands. Most of the time, I do not need to have this with me. All I need is a burial in a nice fresh grave at a cemetery. The problem is a gravesite is not always where I end up. I learned this early in my life. I watched another of my kind never return when a crypt kept him from the earth.

I carried the dirt with me wherever I went. So imagine my surprise when I woke weak and strapped to a gurney, staring into a face that smiled eerily, down on me.

The woman looked like an angel, though there was a glimmer of evil, a dark spark in her dark blue almost black eyes. ”I know what you are, Revenant. “

“What is it that you want from me?” I growled at her, trying to hide my fear. Only a Cambion would know me for what I was. Her appeal was further proof, of her origins. The cambion a demon/human hybrid could spot another with a dark past without fail.

Then she shocked me again, as she took my jar and put it into a sealed tube. “What is your name Revenant?”

“Why? You already know who I am?” The vibrato in my voice came out brash.

She shook her head slightly, “I have the power to destroy you.”

My only answer was a slight disbelieving smirk.

“You don’t believe me? Where do you think you are?” With that, she opened the window’s metal shutters revealing the vast darkness of space that surrounded the room. “You are a true child of earth, if you do not have this,” she said, holding up the tube that contained the jar. “You’re like everyone else with only one life to spend. Should I say welcome to SPACE or hell?”

Then my mind went to my last crime, the death of my only love. She had caught me in a crime and came at me in a rage. I turned and smacked her; the force of it was more than intended. Moreover, as she lay dead at my feat, and I felt my body dying riddled with bullets. In that, instant I truly wished for death. This brought me back to the present. The more I looked, the more the woman in front of me resembled her. “Urgh,” I groaned in agony at the memory.

“I gave you just enough dirt, to bring you back, but not enough for your full restoration. Now you’ll know how it feels to be weak. You will live the rest of your miserable life here knowing you’ll never live again. Like my sister will not live again.” Then she pressed a button ejecting the tube containing my jar into space.


research on the cambion and revenant "Invalid Item"   by A Guest Visitor
© Copyright 2010 rjsimonson (rjsimonson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646533-A-Child-of--Earth