*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1649376-Blog-Entry
Rated: E · Editorial · Writing · #1649376
Finding writing inspiration can come from many different places, including books.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Finding Inspiration in Books or Stories for Writing Motivation

While reading other blogs is a great way to find writing inspiration, it is important to occasionally pick up a book to find stories that lead to inspiration and writing motivation. This involves stepping away from the computer, the TV, and the Wii and curling up with a good book.



Goal Number Seven: Read more!! Read books or stories that are meaningful and provide inspiration.


Man's Search for Meaning

Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning is a memoir about the psychiatrist's recollection of horrific experiences in Nazi concentration camps and its lessons for survival. This is a must for everyone to have in their library. His idea is that man's search for meaning involves his concept called logotherapy. This theory's premise is based on the conviction that human's primary drive is not the pursuit of pleasure, but a quest for meaning.

Don't aim at success-the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself."
After going through some horrific experiences, Frankl still came out with an insightful and spiritual outlook. This book is also a reminder of how it really can always be worse. Humble. Simple.

Have a Little Faith

Another spiritually inspiring book about humanity and life's struggles and joys is Mitch Albom's Have a Little Faith. In his book, Mitch is asked by his rabbi to give his eulogy. Since Mitch does not feel worthy, nor know much about "The Reb," he decides to spend time with him to get to know him. He does this for the next seven or so years, and learns not only about the rabbi's life and convictions, but his own faith.

In the meantime, he also meets a Christian pastor who grew up in a poor Detroit neighborhood who preaches at a church with a hole in the ceiling, no money, and parishioners of all walks of life. The pastor, Henry, hit rock bottom with drugs and a criminal lifestyle before he turned his life and work over to God.

Count your Blessings

Both of these books showed me that life can always be worse, and a more intense struggle. In the "me, me, me" society we live in, sometimes we lose sight of that. In addition, I discovered in these books that most of the joy and happiness in people's lives come from pure attitude and not circumstances. And believing in something bigger than yourself.

So, on the next cold, stormy night, put down all electronic devices (yes, your iPhone, too) and curl up to a good book. On those black and white pages, you might just find some inspiration.
© Copyright 2010 JulieBee (juliemack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1649376-Blog-Entry