*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/164950-Santa-Claus
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #164950
How does Santa get all the presents out on time?
Santa Claus

By Alexandra Jones-Schmidt and Trevor Lawie

Santa watched the distant sun rise at the North Pole through his frosted window. It was late morning, nearing the northern winter solstice, and by early afternoon, the sun would set. Soon it would be Christmas Eve, there would be no sunrise and the Arctic would be in darkness.

Down Under at the opposite end of the world, Santa’s twin brother Mr Claus watched the nearer sun rise over the South Pole. It was late morning, nearing the southern summer solstice and the sun would not set until late evening. Soon it would be Christmas Eve, there would be no sunset and the Antarctic would be sunlit all day.

Christmas was coming and this was his busiest but happiest time of the year.
Mrs Claus was busy baking for all the elves. The smell of delicious pastries and mince tarts wafted over to Santa's nostrils. He went over and pecked Mrs Claus on the cheek, as he did, he reached over and took a warm tart from the tray. Mrs Claus playfully smacked his hand, and replied, 'They're for later to have with hot chocolate'.
'Sorry, couldn't wait hohoho''.

Santa went towards his workshop pulling his coat tight against a blizzard, blowing over the frozen land and making icicles glisten on his thick white beard.

Santa and the elves had decided throughout the year what the latest children’s fads would be. Many toys were finished and packed ready for the Christmas rush. Santa smiled as he greeted his elves at work, and breathed in the smell of fresh paint and wood. The whole place was abuzz with noise and chatter: Chop; Whiff; Zzzzz; Bang-Bang!

Meanwhile, Mr Claus at the South Pole thought of his brother Santa Claus, up at the North Pole and getting ready for Christmas. Mr Claus always felt lonely at this time of the year and he wished he could help Santa with toy making and deliveries. However, Santa said he had enough help as it was with all his elves.

Like Santa, Mr Claus kept a sleigh and a reindeer team hidden in a secret stable. Sometimes he would harness the reindeer and glide around the glaciers. Then he would pat his animals on the nose and say, “Maybe one day you will get the chance to deliver Christmas gifts to all the boys and girls who believe in Santa Claus.”
Santa normally finishes his toy run early in the southern lands where the night is short. Then he manages to deliver the northern toys where the night is long—ready for all children to wake on Christmas morning.

When it was time to start, Santa’s eyes lit up like candles. The presents were packed and wrapped in bright paper with the each child’s name on a greeting tag. Then Santa and the elves carried the toys out in sacks and began to load the sleigh. The stars twinkled in the cold night sky while the elves harnessed the reindeer, which were snorting white breath in the clear frosty air.

Alas, Vixen the lead reindeer became ill and she could not fly. Then the sleigh broke down, spilling toys out on the snow.
“Oh dear, what will we do now?” Santa sighed.
“Perhaps we should ask your brother to help,” suggested the chief elf.
“Of course,” said a relieved Santa. “I will send a message to him right now.”
So the fastest elf took off to the South Pole and he told Mr Claus all about Santa’s plight.

Mr Claus wasted no time. He dressed in his red suit and black boot outfit. Then he went to his shed, brought out the sleigh and harnessed his reindeer.
“Now it is your turn,” he called to the team. “Away we go to the North Pole.” And they flew off jingling their sleigh bells through the fleecy white clouds.
“Ho! Ho! Ho!” he called, skidding to a stop at the gloomy North Pole. A grateful Santa came running out of the workshop with the elves and they loaded Mr Claus’s sleigh with all the southern toys.
“Merry Christmas”, they called as Mr Claus took off for home.

On the way, Mr Claus flew over Australia. It was now Christmas Eve in the Great South Land. Children and grown-ups were out in the twilight, singing Carols and holding candles.
“What a beautiful sight,” he said to the reindeer. “It looks like thousands of stars have fallen from heaven.”

While Mr Claus delivered the southern toys, Santa had time to fix his sleigh, and Vixen by then felt much better. Because his brother had taken care of the South, Santa managed to deliver all the northern toys just in time for Christmas.
Mr Claus is no longer lonely in his half of the world. Now he delivers toys to the southern lands, where it is summer at Christmas time, while his brother delivers toys to the northern lands, where it is winter at Christmas time. Nevertheless, when children wake early all over the world on Christmas morning, they still say, “Wow, Santa’s been here!”
(780 words)
































© Copyright 2001 Alexandra (galaxyss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/164950-Santa-Claus