*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1649687-Glimmer-Part-One
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1649687
An experiment gone away, the apocalypse becomes inevitable
Day One

         Being locked up in a dark cell does things to your mind. Makes you crazy. Mad. Insane.
         But not me.
         Never me.
         I’m not affected by human emotions anymore.
         Not since Dr. Tobias plucked me from the streets of New York on Earth. Pretty sure it’s been at least a year since I was on Earth. But I wouldn’t know. Don’t care where I am now. Don’t really care.
         Been nearly two years (I think) since Dr. Tobias turned me into this. I’ll kill him. I swear I will. He stole me from my family. My life. I can’t die. Immortal.
         That’s what I am. Immortal. I’d laugh if I could. Can’t do anything but kill now. Dr. Tobias made me like this.
         Raving mad is for other people. Me, I don’t feel anymore. I’m like a robot. Told to kill, and I make that kill. Don’t want to. Must. Forced to murder.
         Still have my mind. That’s all the human that’s left of me now. Always ordered. No free choice. What good is a mind?
         Sick, drunk scientists made me. No regard for life. Hate them. Must kill. Revenge.
         Door grates open. Dim light. Blink and turn head.
         Get up, a harsh voice says.
         Walking down a long corridor. Dim and quiet. That’s all I hear these days. Quiet. Eternally. Perpetually.
         Heavy iron door scrapes open. Bright light surrounded by deep shadows.
         Would hurt if I was still human.
         Long table in the center. Dim light flickering overhead. Two occupied chairs on one side. One unoccupied chair on the other.
         What do you know. An interrogation room on this planet.
         Two men in suits stand. Shadowed faces. A glint of glasses in the pale light.
         Sit, one says. We sit.
         Name, two demands.
         Schuyler, I answer.
         Profession, one demands.
         Glimmer.
         Explain, two orders.
         Assassin from Earth. More robot than human.
         Year, one asks.
         2498 on Earth.
         The Apocalypse on Earth has begun, two says.
         I know. I caused it. Dr. Harris told me to. I follow orders now. No free will. I am the Glimmer.
         Explain, two demands.
         I transport myself from place to place. Seen only as a dim, hazy figure. Kill is made. Transport back to lab. No one sees. No one knows. Corpse left on street. No one cares anymore. I killed the President. No one cared. Everyone hates. I brought the Apocalypse.
         Tell us your story from the beginning, one requests.
         It was a summer day in Central Park in New York City, New York. I was watching my daughter run around. My baby son was at home with my wife. I felt a tap on my shoulder…


         A slender, dark haired man in his early thirties sat on a bench made from a new material called Cryma-Crystal, a clear material composed primarily of crystal and glass with thin steel sheets running through it, in Central Park. A young girl with short black hair darted among the few trees remaining in the world with an heirloom fiberglass kite from the twenty-first century flying behind her. Above them, people walked along skywalks made of crystal, steel, glass, and various metal compounds.
         Motors were no longer heard. Personal Transporters, small opal-like disks, were used to get around the city, though some preferred to walk.
         A man in a white coat with light brown hair approached the man on the bench and tapped his shoulder.
         Schuyler turned, startled. The man smiled at him.
         “Who are you? Do I know you?” Schuyler asked.
         The scientist met Schuyler’s cerulean eyes and smiled.
         “I am Dr. Curt Tobias, a government scientist. You will do very well, Schuyler.”
         “Do well? Do well for what? What are you talking about?”
         Dr. Tobias only smiled at him, took hold of Schuyler’s shoulder, and activated his Transporter…

         Schuyler awoke in a lab, tightly strapped down to a cold steel table. Four other people lay on nearby tables. All five of them were only covered by white cloths.
         Dr. Tobias was leaning over the man lying on the table next to Schuyler’s. Behind the Cryma-Crystal desk across the room stood a young woman with black curls and large green eyes, also dressed in a white coat. She glanced up at him and quickly snatched up a tray as she walked around the paper-laden desk to Dr. Tobias.
         “Dr. Tobias,” the woman said.
         He looked up. The woman nodded in Schuyler’s direction.
         “Schuyler, Mari, and Erika are awake, Dr. Tobias.”
         Schuyler moved his head to the right. He saw a blond woman on the table next to his. He assumed the other woman was on the other side.
         “And Owen and Dionysius have just awakened,” Dr. Tobias said, clearly satisfied.
         Dr. Tobias stepped over to Schuyler and leaned down. He smiled at Schuyler. “Welcome to Shyan Lab, Schuyler.”
         “Dr. Tobias?” the woman asked as she came to stand beside the doctor.
          “You may take the blood samples now, Dr. Russell,” Dr. Tobias said, straightening and moving away to inspect the women.
         “Yes, Dr. Tobias.”
         Dr. Eleanna Russell went over to the woman Schuyler couldn’t see, following after Dr. Tobias.
         “Mind telling us what’s going on, Dr. Tobias?” the blond woman said calmly, unemotionally.
         “Certainly, Erika,” Dr. Tobias said, sounding pleased. “Several years ago, my assistant, Dr. Russell, and I discovered a way to create robotic assassins out of people. Human-robotic assassins are much more effective than robots or humans. More flexibility than robots and easier to control than humans.
         “The government contacted us to create an immortal human-robotic assassin. We chose you five for our experiment because of your high intelligence, perfect health, and strength of character, be it good or bad,” Dr. Tobias said, saying the last with his eyes trained on Erika.
         “And if we’re not immortal?” the man next to Schuyler asked calmly.
         “Ah, that doesn’t matter, Dionysius. You are all assassins. The best in the world. Immortality is just a hope, a dream.”
         “So, we’re a government experiment,” Schuyler said flatly.
         “Exactly, Schuyler. All five of you have been here for the past two months. Your families have been told you are dead. They are moving on with their lives.”
         None of the five gave any indication that it mattered. All were calm, unfeeling, robotic…

         It was strange that we didn’t care, I say.
         Strange that you didn’t care? one asks.
         Yes. We should have questioned it. But didn’t. Still doesn’t matter. Don’t know why I thought of it.
         Maybe you’re turning back into a human, two says, studying me critically.
         Impossible. Dr. Tobias told us that is impossible.
         Continue, Schuyler, one says.
         Dr. Russell called Dr. Tobias over to the worktable. We all gazed up at the ceiling and listened. Dr. Russell had gotten back the blood test results…


         “What do we have?” Dr. Tobias asked.
         “Subject one: Dionysius. Successfully turned into an assassin,” Dr. Russell read from the computer screen.
         “Excellent. Continue, Dr. Russell.”
         “Subject two: Owen. Almost successfully turned into an assassin. There’s a slight defect in his programming.”
         “Ah, well, that must be that slip I made. Quite unfortunate. Continue.”
         “Subject three: Erika. Successfully turned into an assassin. Subject four: Mari. Doctor, she’s part Glimmer.”
         “Almost immortal,” Dr. Tobias said, obviously pleased. “And subject five?”
         “Subject five: Schuyler. Full Glimmer, Doctor.”
         “Astounding. We did it, Dr. Russell.”
         “Yes. The government only needs one.”
         “Yes, I know. We’ll send Mari. The rest will remain with us for our use.”
         “May I ask why?”
         “We originally conducted the experiment to create a Glimmer for our use. We can use Schuyler. The government can have Mari. We can tell them she came closest to becoming a Glimmer. They never have to know about Schuyler.”
         “Yes, Dr. Tobias,” Dr. Russell said complacently.
         “Good.” Dr. Tobias glanced over at his assassins and then turned back to Dr. Russell. “Even though three aren’t immortal, they are much harder to kill than a normal human. I’m quite pleased. They’ll do very well for our purposes. Let’s get our assassins prepared for business.”
         “Yes. Dr. Tobias.”
         The two doctors returned to their assassins. A short time later, the five assassins were dressed in dark suits and were sitting in chairs. Dr. Tobias stood before them. Dr. Russell was at her computer.
         Dr. Tobias picked up five, small disks. He put one on each of them at the left temple. They were absorbed into their bodies. None of them blinked an eye, seemingly unaware of what had happened to them.
         “These disks,” he said, holding up an extra one, “will allow us to give you commands. Glimmer, now.”
         The five immediately became hazy figures, disappeared, became hazy, and then returned to solid.
         The doctor smiled, pocketing the disk he held. “Excellent. Now. The government requires a Glimmer, an immortal human-robotic assassin. Schuyler, you are the only Glimmer. However, you will remain with us. Mari, you are half Glimmer. You will go to the government. The rest of you are assassins. Dr. Russell, please see to Mari’s departure.”
         “Yes. Dr. Tobias.”
         She stood, took Mari by the arm, and led her from the room.
         “Dr. Tobias,” Owen said, unemotionally. “What will we be doing?”
         The scientist smiled. “Murder.”
         “Murdering whom?” Owen asked calmly.
         “Any threats against us or simply anyone we want to be eliminated.”
         “When do we begin?” Schuyler asked. Like the others, he spoke unemotionally, as they all would forever.
         “As soon as Dr. Russell and I choose our first target. Dionysius, the honor will be yours. Schuyler, you will be reserved for the more important tasks since you are the Glimmer.”
         Schuyler nodded once, curtly. Dr. Tobias then led them down a hall to their quarters, cold metallic rooms devoid of windows. But none of the four cared…

         So cold, without life, I say.
         You didn’t question it? one asks, shifting slightly in his chair.
         It isn’t in our nature, I say, almost sharply.
         How long have Doctors Tobias and Russell worked together? one asks.
         Many years, I answer.
         And Dionysius made the first kill? two asks, rolling a pen between his hands.
         Yes.
         Did he tell you or anyone else about it, other than the doctors? one asks.
         No. We do not discuss our activities.
         You speak as though the others are still alive, one says, leaning back in his chair.
         I know most are.
         Tell us, two urges.
         That’s part of the story.
         Then by all means continue, one says.
         Dr. Russell returned and reported the successful transportation of Mari. She and Dr. Tobias left us for a long time. When they returned to our corridor, I heard a knock at Dionysius’s door and listened…


         “Dionysius, we have chosen your target,” Dr. Tobias said, sounding eager.
         “I’m ready,” Dionysius replied.
         “The Director of the Cormiann Lab, Dr. Nicholas Collins. He fired both Dr. Russell and I when— Ah, well. What do you really care? You will find him in his office. Glimmer, Dionysius.”
         Schuyler heard one set of footsteps fade away.
He knew Dr. Collins. He had worked at the Cormiann Lab nine years ago before he transferred to Lisia Lab. That was when he met Lena, at Lisia Lab. Strange. He felt nothing at the thought of his wife. Absolutely nothing.
         Dionysius soon returned to Shyan Lab. Owen, Erika, and Schuyler were sitting in a box of a room with Dr. Tobias. Dr. Russell was in the lab at her computer.
         “Done,” Dionysius said flatly. Then he sat between Erika and the wall.
         “Excellent. Owen, the next one belongs to you. I want to see how well you can perform despite the defect. Erika, I want you to assist Dr. Russell in whatever capacity she needs. She’s been wanting an assistant for some time, and now I’m finally assigning one to her. We have no need for you right now. Off you go.”
         Erika stood and left the room.
         Dr. Tobias turned to Schuyler. “Your turn is yet to come, Glimmer. Dionysius, Schuyler, you may return to your rooms. Owen, come with me.”
         Schuyler and Dionysius left the room and returned to their quarters…

         We no longer had a sense of time, I say. That was taken from us. We could have been in our quarters for minutes, hours, days. We don’t know. Time does not exist to us. There was no longer any need for sustenance. Our days were not timed by meals, or anything else. There were no windows, so we saw no sunlight. There was no time.
         What happened to Owen? two asks.
         My room was closest to the lab. I can hear everything that goes on in there. For a long time, that was all I had. Dr. Russell and Erika had found the perfect target. The Secretary of State’s nephew.  Dr. Russell had gone to school with him and hated him…

         
         “Well, Owen, the job’s yours,” Dr. Tobias said. “Glimmer, Owen.”
         “Thank you, Erika. Return to your room,” Dr. Russell said dismissively.
         Schuyler heard footsteps pass by his quarters, and a door open and close. He heard the scientists moving around the lab and murmuring. It was a long time before he could hear any distinguishable words.
         “Eleanna,” Dr. Tobias called out.
         “What is it, Curt?”
         “How long ago did Owen depart?”
         There was silence for a few moments. Then Dr. Russell answered, “Maybe six hours ago? I don’t know the exact time, but he should have been back by now.”
         “Something must have happened to him,” Dr. Tobias said grimly.
         Then there was the sudden shout of, “Owen!” It was quickly followed by a crash.
         “Curt, he’s dead,” Dr. Russell said incredulously.
         “Dead! How can that have happened?”
         “I don’t know, Curt. It must have been that defect. We’ll have to find a replacement, if you want.”
         “Of course we’ll get a replacement,” Dr. Tobias snapped. “We might even get another Glimmer.”
         Schuyler could hear the doctors moving something heavy and assumed it to be Owen. It wasn’t long before he heard Dr. Russell speak.
         “I’ve found someone, Curt. Her name’s Jen Glower. Here’s her address. I’ll prepare everything.”
         Schuyler heard Dr. Tobias leave. Dr. Russell moved around, moving objects around the room.
         Then he heard Dr. Tobias.
         “I’ve got her, Eleanna. Everything ready?”
         “Yes, Curt. Just put her on that table.” She paused. “Do you suppose one of the assassins would like to see how they were created?”
         “What gave you that idea?” Dr. Tobias asked sharply.
         “I’ve been thinking, Curt.” Schuyler heard footsteps, probably pacing. “What if there’s a way to undo what we’ve done?”
         “Not possible, Eleanna,” Dr. Tobias said impatiently.
         “We don’t know that,” she replied reasonably. “Let’s just say it’s possible. We can put some kind of program into them to make sure they will never fully regain humanness. We can bring one of the assassins in to watch and if what we’ve done is undone and the new program is left intact, the assassin can create others.”
         “But why would we want that to happen?” he asked in an almost angry voice.
         “Remember when we were children? We agreed to destroy the Earth. The assassins are our tools now. They will do that.”
         There was silence for a moment.
         “Bring in Schuyler,” Dr. Tobias said curtly.
         “Yes, Dr. Tobias,” Dr. Russell said submissively, yet there was a pleased undertone in her voice.
         Then Schuyler heard footsteps and the opening of his door. He turned and Dr. Russell beckoned to him. He followed her into the lab.
         A young woman in her mid-twenties lay on one of the tables. Her eyes were closed and she lay as still as a corpse. Her golden brown hair was fanned out around her slender face and looked to fall just below her shoulders. Her features were elfin-like and her skin pale.
         “This is Jen, Schuyler,” Dr. Russell said as Dr. Tobias set up his tools and devices in his own particular order. “She will be like you and the others.”
         Schuyler nodded, almost disinterested…

         How was she turned into an assassin? one asks when I pause.
         Answer the question, two says when I still remain silent.
         Jen…Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell half killed her.
         What do you mean? two asks.
         Just that. They began to kill her, but stopped short of actually killing her. It is difficult to explain.
         Try your best, one urges. How did they kill her?
         They put something into her, injected it into her bloodstream. It is easier to show. After they had half killed her, they began injecting fluids and miniscule chips into her head. She remained still, never moving. Then they finished and she woke up a little while later…


         “Take a blood test,” Dr. Tobias ordered.
         Dr. Russell stepped up to Jen and drew blood. A few minutes later, she called Dr. Tobias over to her worktable.
         “Subject six: Jen. Part Glimmer.”
         Dr. Tobias’s shoulders slumped. “We did exactly what we did to Schuyler.”
         His partner shook her head. “Not quite.” She pointed to her computer screen. “This shows that we stopped killing Jen just short of where we stopped with Schuyler, in the exact place we stopped with Mari. If we had gone a little further, we could have turned her into a Glimmer.”
         “Maybe next time,” Dr. Tobias said optimistically.
         Dr. Russell nodded and both turned back to Jen and Schuyler. Dr. Russell went to Jen and helped her up. She placed a disk on Jen’s temple and told her it would allow her and Dr. Tobias to command her. Then she handed Jen a navy blue suit and led her down the hall. Schuyler was dismissed and headed back to his room…

         Just a moment, two says.
         I look at him sharply.
         You said Dr. Tobias had told you it had been two months since your arrival. How long was Jen there?
         Time does not exist to me, I reply flatly. When they were finished for the day, I was sent back to my room. When they were ready to begin again, I was called back.
         Did you sleep? one asks.
         No.
         Thank you, Schuyler, one says.


Day Two

         Crazy people. Crazy world. Nothing makes sense.
         Don’t care. Haven’t cared. Why should I? Nothing changes. They’ll be back. They want the story.
         Must be late. They need sleep. I don’t. What do I care for them? Idiots. That’s all they are. Can’t find the others. I’m the only one they have. Should I feel tired? Wasn’t made that way.
         Revenge. That’s all I want. Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell will die.
         The idiocy of humans irks me. Think they can have everything. We know better. Assassins know everything. Everyone should be like us. Perfect harmony. All get along. What a happy place it’ll be.
         But I know better. Never will happen. All things destroyed. Those men. Those guards. They hate me. Hate them back. Keep me locked up. Just like Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell.
         Must kill them all. That’s all that’s left to do. No regrets. No second thoughts. Can’t do that anymore. Aren’t I lucky?
         Lost my family, friends. Only to be a government experiment. Greedy scientists. Insane scientists. Don’t know what they’re doing.
         Half dead. That’s all we are. Half alive. Better to be dead? I wouldn’t know. Living is for fools. There’s nothing left at all.
         Crazy world. Insane people. Nothing but apathy.
         Has time passed? Don’t know anymore. Don’t care. Caring is for humans. Assassin now. The very best.
         Not crazy. Never crazy. Crazy is for humans. I’m an assassin.
         Stand, a harsh voice commands.
         I stand. Following the guard. Bright light. Same men. Scrape of chair. I sit. They sit.
         Do you remember where you left off? one asks.
         Yes.
         Continue, two says.
         I heard Dr. Russell speaking to Dr. Tobias. The Secretary of State’s nephew had been successfully killed, of course. Dr. Russell wanted the Secretary killed…


         “Shall we send out Jen and try her out?” Dr. Russell asked eagerly.
         “Certainly, Eleanna,” Dr. Tobias replied dismissively as he scanned his notes. “Whomever you wish.”
         “You’re distracted, Curt. Is something bothering you?” she asked, concern evident in her voice.
         “We’ve kept them here for six months now. I’ve received reports that their families have moved on.”
         “And? Curt, don’t keep anything from me. We’re partners on this.”
         “Of course, Eleanna, of course. Well, Schuyler’s wife has been asking for a body. She’s been asking for the past six months. She’s been put off since. Now she’s hired a detective to hunt down his body.”
         “I thought you said their families were moving on with their lives.”
         “That’s what I thought. That’s what my reports said. However, Lena, Schuyler’s wife, is demanding Schuyler’s body for a proper burial.”
         “You’ll just have to tell her he was in an accident and his body was destroyed,” Dr. Russell said firmly.
         “I’ve tried that, Eleanna,” he replied, distressed. “She won’t accept it.”
         “She must die, then.”
         “Then so do Schuyler’s son and daughter.”
         “Then so be it. Curt, don’t tell me you’re growing soft.”
         “No. Never that. I’m just worried we’ll be found out. No one except the highest-ranking government officials are to know about our little experiment. If anyone finds out, it’ll be the end of us.”
         “Curt, their families…” Dr. Russell said to prompt him.
         “I know. They’re the biggest risks to this. They must all be eliminated.”
         “Whom shall we send out?”
         “They will kill their own families, one at a time. Send for Jen, Dr. Russell. It’s time we try her out. And get Schuyler and Erika.”
         “Yes, Dr. Tobias.” 
         He heard footsteps and doors closing before his own door was opened. Dr. Russell stood in the doorway and beckoned to him. He fell behind her, alongside Jen and Erika, quietly closing his door, though it still banged, just as every door in the lab did.
         When they entered the lab, Dr. Tobias pointed to three chairs opposite his own. Dr. Russell headed over to her desk, her eyes trained on her partner.
         “Dr. Russell, I’ve received reports from the president,” Dr. Tobias began, shuffling papers around on his Cryma-Crystal desk and looking at no one. “He’s been asking after more assassins, preferably a Glimmer. I want Schuyler to take care of him. Erika will kill the vice-president.”
         Dr. Russell shot a glare at him. “You have to stop keeping secrets from me, Dr. Tobias,” she said through gritted teeth before turning to type furiously at her computer.
         Dr. Tobias ignored her. “Glimmer, Schuyler. Glimmer, Erika.”
         Schuyler and Erika became hazy figures before vanishing completely.
         Schuyler didn’t know where he was, and didn’t really care. He stood on a platform in shadows cast by huge banners and a golden fringed flag. He stood behind a tall, distinguished man with gray hair. The man wore a navy blue suit and his long fingers were grasping the sides of a Cryma-Crystal podium as he spoke before a room full of people, his voice echoing throughout the large chamber. No one saw Schuyler; he was just a hazy figure standing behind President Claymore. He could have been the silhouette of a guard or just a shadow.
         Without a thought, Schuyler thrust his hand into the president’s back and squeezed his heart until he felt the man’s death. He released the still heart and yanked his hand back. Then he vanished just as the president collapsed on the platform, and reappeared in the lab, his hand as clean as when he had left the lab.
         “Finished,” Schuyler said flatly.
         “Finished,” Erika said as she appeared beside him.
         Dr. Tobias looked up from the papers on his desk. “Excellent.”
         Dr. Russell glanced away from her computer to look at them, then flickered her eyes back. Jen was standing beside her, tonelessly reading off a list of names.
         “Thank you, Jen,” Dr. Russell murmured. “Excused.”
         Jen turned and walked away. None of the assassins looked at each other. They only stared straight ahead.
         “Excused, Erika,” Dr. Tobias said. Erika turned and headed back to her room. “I have another mission for you, Schuyler. I want you to kill your wife, son, and daughter. Glimmer, Schuyler.”
         Once again, Schuyler became a hazy figure before vanishing…

         What was it like to kill your family? one interrupts.
         No different from killing President Claymore. I reached into them and squeezed their hearts until I was sure they were dead.
         Did you feel anything? two asks.
         I felt the insides of their bodies, was my only reply.
         That’s not exactly what I meant, Schuyler, two says. But I suppose that’s the best answer you can give us.
         Yes.
         Very well, one says. What happened after you killed them all?
         I appeared next to my wife first and made quick work of it. Then I headed down the hall to my son. My daughter’s room is the furthest from my bedroom, so she was the last one I came to. Without hesitation, I plunged my hand into her, but couldn’t let go of her heart. I squeezed and pulled it right out of her body…


         Schuyler looked down at his hand and then immediately dropped what had been his daughter’s beating heart. His eyes followed the heart as it tumbled down to the carpet. Then his eyes snapped up to look at his daughter’s face, frozen in horror and pain as her lifeless blue eyes so like his own stared up at him.
         What had he done?
         It felt like his mind was shattering. It felt like everything had come loose inside him and was tumbling past each other in an attempt to regain order. A battle had been unleashed in his mind and it wouldn’t end. He would never know how it had happened, but he felt the faintest stirrings of insanity inside of himself. He felt the faintest twinge of humanity.
         And then he snapped…
         His family was dead. He had killed them.
         With a hoarse cry deep in his throat, he glimmered out of his former home and appeared in Jen’s room.
         She swiftly stood and he grabbed her wrist. They glimmered out, only to reappear in Dionysius’s room. Schuyler grasped his wrist in his other hand and they glimmered into Erika’s room.
         Jen reached out and grabbed Erika’s wrist before they glimmered out. They reappeared in the lab.
         Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell stood quickly to stare at them in shock.
         “What’s going on?” Dr. Tobias demanded.
         Schuyler released Jen’s and Dionysius’s wrists. He took a step towards Dr. Tobias.
         “You killed us,” Schuyler growled, slowly walking towards Dr. Tobias.
         When he came up against the doctor’s desk, he grasped the edge of it. Dr. Russell turned to look at her partner, her eyes wide, her breath coming in quick pants.
         “Do something, Curt!” she cried out in a frightened voice.
         “Stop this now, Schuyler!” Dr. Tobias demanded.
         “You killed us,” Schuyler repeated, his hands tightening around the desk edge.
         “Glimmer, Schuyler!” Dr. Tobias shouted. He reached for a small black device and frantically pushed at the buttons on it. “Glimmer, Schuyler! Glimmer, Erika! Glimmer, all of you!”
         “What’s going on?” Dr. Russell screamed as Jen, Erika, and Dionysius closed in around her.
         “Schuyler’s device has malfunctioned and the strength of his tampered signal is affecting the others in the same way. I can’t do anything.” Dr. Tobias continued to uselessly pound at his device.
         “You killed us,” Schuyler said one last time before shoving the desk over onto Dr. Tobias.
         He heard another scream following Dr. Tobias’s and looked over to see the other three had tipped over Dr. Russell’s desk onto her. The four of them came back together and joined hands.
         “Glimmer,” Schuyler said softly.
         They turned hazy and then vanished…

         We didn’t know where we were going. One of us would think of something and we would reappear there, or so we assumed.
         What were your options? one asks.
         To escape.
         What happened to you after you left the lab? one asks.
         We appeared in Central Park. It was night and there was no one out. It must have been in those hours between midnight and dawn when no one is outside. None of us knew what to do, or even what had happened. We stood there, just looking around. Then a man in a white lab coat stepped out from behind a tree and walked towards us…


         He was a tall man with graying brown hair and soft brown eyes with a hint of concern, but no fear. He seemed to know them, or what they were, at least. He wore a dark brown suit and his lab coat was a stark contrast to the darkness of his clothes.
         “From Shyan Lab, I presume,” he said in a soft, cultured voice.
         “Yes,” Schuyler replied curtly.
         “I am Dr. Tyler Harris, from Nyan Lab. I was once colleagues with Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell. They were bent on the destruction of the world and were determined to create minions who would do the dirty work for them. They loved each other, but hated all of humankind.”
         Dr. Harris came to stop before them, his eyes regarding each of them in turn.
         “I always expected something like this,” he said quietly. “They were always bound to fail. I know you weren’t sent out to kill me. You wouldn’t have hesitated. No, you have come to escape them, haven’t you? I am familiar with the devices Dr. Tobias must have put into you to control you. He developed them when he worked in Nyan Lab. He was so proud of it. I hated him then and knew he would try something like this. In secret, I developed a signal tracking device in the hopes of stopping him. My device can track the signals Dr. Tobias’s emits and, tonight, it detected a disturbance. The device in one of you shattered and it affected all devices in the vicinity. All of you hate Dr. Tobias and Dr. Russell, that is plain to see. You seek revenge, I am certain. I will help you. Come with me to Nyan Lab and I will see what I can do.”
         Without glancing at each other, and still holding hands, they followed Dr. Harris. The five of them silently wound through the empty New York City streets and walkways before reaching a great silver building surrounded by a complex mesh of gates and fences. Dr. Harris put out his hand and held it under a faint green light protruding from the mesh. They heard a high pitched beep, saw the light turn lavender, and watched as a door slid open. The assassins followed the doctor through…

         Okay, that’s enough, Schuyler, two says tiredly.
         Yes, I think we’ve had enough for the day, one agrees. We’ll continue where we left off tomorrow.
         I nod and stand. A guard standing behind me takes my arm and I am led from the room.


© Copyright 2010 Katherine (katherine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1649687-Glimmer-Part-One