*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165043-First-Flight
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #165043
The joy of the first flight at the controls.
I awoke that day not knowing that it would change my life. I had a simple breakfast. Driving down the road I was wondering what to do that day.

Somehow, I arrived at the local general aviation airport and walked into the first flight training school I found.

Inside was a young man, about 22, arrogant, wearing a flight school shirt. He must have been a student.
"I'm Brad", he said. "What can I do for you?".

"I was thinking about learning to fly. How do I begin?"

"How about we go up for a 30 minute intro flight?" Brad said, sensing he would hook me in 30 minutes.

"Let's go".

We walked out through the hanger to the tarmac. On the tarmac sat three Cessna aircraft. We walked over to a small white Cessna with a Red stripe. N8001F - Oh the hours I would spend in this little airplane!

Brad walked me through the pre-flight inspection. We went from the pilots door to the left wing, around to the tail, to the right wing. Opened up the engine cowling. Inspected the prop. Then he told me to get in. In the pilot's seat!

We went through the engine startup checklist and started the engine. Put on our headsets, started up the radios, beacon, gyros.

Brad called ground control, "Addison ground, Cessna 8001 Foxtrot at Mission taxi 15."

I had no idea what any of that meant. Ground responded. "01 Foxtrot, Taxi 15"

"Taxi 15, 01 Foxtrot", Brad pushed the throttle in about half an inch and the plane started to move. He explained how to control the plane with my feet. Using the brakes to steer. We taxied to the end of the runway to an area Brad called the run-up area.

We took the plane through it's pre-takeoff checklist. Check the magnetos, the altimeter, the heading. Run up the engine to 1800rpm's to listen for engine trouble. Finally, we were complete. Brad called on the Radio again.

"Addison tower, Cessna 8001 Foxtrot, ready for takeoff."

"01 Foxtrot, Hold Short. Piper on 1/4 mile final"

"Hold short 01 Foxtrot."

Brad moved the plane to the edge of the runway. We watched as the Piper passed in front of us and landed about 200 yards down the runway.

"01Foxtrot, Taxi into position and hold"
"Taxi into position and hold, 01 Foxtrot"

Brad moved the plane onto the runway. My heart began to beat. Here I was in a tiny plane about to go into the sky.

Brad told me to hold onto the yoke and put my hand on the throttle. I complied.

"01 Foxtrot, you are cleared for takeoff"
"Cleared for takeoff, 01 Foxtrot".

Brad told me to push in the throttle all the way. As I did, the plane started moving toward the end of the runway. It slowly picked up speed, I had no idea what to do next.

As if reading my mind, Brad said, "At 75 knots, pull back gently on the yoke."

Brads hands were also on the yoke, so I knew I couldn't pull back too sharply.

65....70...75... I began to pull back. The plane moved slowly into the sky. The roughness of the runway was quickly replaced by the smoothness of the air. I was flying!!!

We turned the plane to the left as we gained altitude. I loooked down below us and could see the highway I drove on everyday. I was no longer bound to the earth! I could now make my own pathways.

We flew to McKinney and did a couple of touch and go's. Then we started our return to Addison. With Brad's help, I lined the plane up on final approach and we brought the plane into a gentle landing.

We taxied back to our tarmac. Brad must have known he had a sale because of the idiotic grin I held on my face.

We went through our post-flight checklist, secured the plane and went back into the office.

I signed up for flight lessons that day. After the intro flight, I had to have more.
© Copyright 2001 storyreader (kavner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165043-First-Flight