*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1651100-Corruption-in-law-Surely-not
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Folklore · #1651100
'Elv's shorts' contest entry. Mr. Law learns the consequences of corruption.
My first time writing in a fairytale format, it's not my best style! Entry for 'Elv's short story' contest. Hope you enjoy!

Once upon a time…

Mr. Law was sprinting in an attempt to make it to work- lights flashed past him, cars honked… but he couldn’t let that stop him! Today was the day. Rusted metal brushed against his hand and he gripped it, fumbling for the large, circular button that was his key to obtaining the knowledge of when to walk. Anxiously, he hopped from foot to foot, watching the cars zipping by.

“Come on, come on, come ooon!” His voice rose in pitch, eyes darting nervously to the resolutely red man staring down at him from above. Mr. Law peered down the street, watching the tirade of metal boxes. He noticed a gap, about to occur. Should he, could he, would he? Biting his lip, he gathered his courage and leapt across after a small white car. Immediately, the sound of screeching tires filled his ears. A turning car had swerved into the pavement to miss him and was now still, smoke rising from its hood, just two feet from where Mr. Law stood.

Veins pulsed on the head of the very angry driver that stepped from the car. Mr. Law gulped. Needless to say, he did not make it to work on time.

***

It was a disappointed and disheveled man that returned to his flat that night. Empty pizza boxes awaited him and his stomach grumbled. However, Mr. Law pushed it down. Now was not the time. Seeing as he may very well not have a job next week… now was not the time.

Exhausted, he flopped down onto bed. Just as he started to doze off, a ringing reached his ears.

“Not now! Darn it! Darn it all!” Face set in annoyance, he reluctantly reached a hand for the cheap phone on the bedside table.

“Hullo?” Even to him his voice sounded sulky, but he found he could not summon the pride to care. Now, his interest became much more peaked upon hearing what his caller had to say. A lot of money could be gained but he knew it was wrong. An under the table deal, it was wrong, wrong, wrong! Yet as he listened to the persuasive voice he began to rethink. Was it wrong to want money when he may be losing a job? Wrong to want security, luxury, all the things he had worked for? But… it was illegal, immoral, and corrupt. Should he, could he, would he? With a stony set to his face, he affirmed that he would very much like to partake in the deal.

The caller had been an undercover police officer. Needless to say, Mr. Law did not get the money he had wanted.

***
By now, Mr. Law was to the point of weeping. Alone in a dank, dark cell. So different from the future he had imagined in anticipation of a possible promotion. A day passed and he was fined and released, after a scolding that left his ears red-hot.

Wearily, he trudged to work. The building seemed to loom before him. Touching pen to paper, he began to write. Numbers, statistics, suggestions. Yet his heart was hardly in the work.

Halfway through the day, his boss called him into the office.

‘Oh, no, this is it!’ Mr. Law was sure this was his end. He would be fired and die a tired old man. So he was naturally surprised at the offer put before him. Simply spy on his fellow workers and he would keep his job, with a pay rise even! Just tell the boss all the times his friends Mr. Justice, Mr. Honesty and Mrs. Fair slacked off and he would be fine. But… that was betrayal. Wrong. Mr. Law worried his bottom lip. Should he, could he, would he? Meeting the gaze of his employer, he used his middle finger in a way that was a very clear ‘NO’.

Needless to say, Mr. Law lost his job that day. But he kept his friends and the next month the firm he had worked at went under and he got a job at a newer, better firm, where he had money for luxuries and a car to make sure he always got to work on time.

Word count: 704
© Copyright 2010 Free_Rip (free_rip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1651100-Corruption-in-law-Surely-not