*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165114-A-Chance-Meeting
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #165114
She met him, of all places, in the mall.
About 4 months after my divorce was final, I decided that I needed to get out of the house and away from work and do something for myself. I couldn't think of anything better or more relaxing than to go shopping and see if I could find something new for my company picnic. Something that would make me feel feminine again and splurge, just a bit. I dropped the kids off at my mother’s house hoping to have most of the day to myself.

The morning was terrific! I went from store to store looking at all the fashions, stopping to try them on and I even bought a nice little sundress. I decided to treat myself to lunch at the new American food restaurant in the mall.

The restaurant was packed as I entered it. I decided to wait for a table, gave my name to the hostess and found a seat in the waiting area. I noticed a nice looking man standing across from me. He was big, maybe over 6 feet tall, with light brown hair, hazel eyes and a beard. I usually don’t like beards on men, but somehow it seemed to fit him. I noticed him looking at me a couple of times, but he would always look away before I could catch him. Finally, our eyes met and he must have known I knew he was watching me, because he began to blush.

The room was beginning to clear and he walked over to sit in the seat next to me. As he came over, I thought he was going to say something, so I held out my hand and said, “Hi, my name is Jennifer”. He looked really surprised, got a little flustered and said, “I’m Joe, glad to meet you.”

“Jennifer, your table is ready”.

As I got up, Joe said, “Well, it was good to meet you. Have a nice lunch”

I don’t know why I did it, but I looked back at him as said, “I really hate to eat alone, will you join me?”

He looked flustered again for a moment then stood and said, “I’d love to.”

As we approached the hostess, Joe put is hand on the small of my back as if to guide me to the table. I felt so feminine with his hand there. When we arrived at our table, he pulled out my chair for me. Steve hadn't done that for years. It felt as if we were on a date.

Joe sat down across from me, and I quickly buried my face in the menu. We sat in silence for a few minutes until the waitress came by to take our orders.

Joe motioned for me to order first. I ordered a Chicken Caesar Salad with the dressing on the side and an iced tea. Joe ordered the Chicken Fried Steak and iced tea.

When the waitress left, I glanced at Joe not knowing what to say. Joe said, "Thanks for inviting me to your table. I also hate to eat alone."



That broke the ice and we began making small talk. Slowly, we probed into each others background. Joe was about my age, an engineer for a local company. He was also divorced and had two boys in high school. As it turned out, he even lived about 5 miles from my home.

We talked about our days in college and what we had wanted from life. It was amazing how, even with those basics, he made me feel comfortable. He looked me in the eyes as we talked.

I was amazed at how the time went by. Before I knew it, I looked up and the restaurant was emptying out. We had finished lunch and the rush was over. It seemed like we had just sat down.

I glanced at my watch and realized we had been there for over an hour! Joe noticed my look and asked if I needed to get going.

I didn't want our lunch to be over just yet, but I couldn't think of a really good reason to stay. "Yes, I guess I really should get back to my shopping." I said.

Joe sensed my hesitation; I think he was feeling the same.

"Ok," he said, "Would you like some company?"

"I'd love it!!," I said.

Joe called for the check and, against my protests, he paid for both of our lunches. We left the restaurant and walked slowly with each other around the mall. I don't know when it happened, exactly, but after some time I noticed that we were holding each others hands! I felt like a schoolgirl out on her first date.

We walked like that for a while without going into any stores. I suddenly realized that it would be best for me to leave and keep the memory of this afternoon to myself with the fantasy of what could have been. It was just too soon after my divorce.

When we got to the entrance closest to my car, I stopped and turned to face Joe.

"Joe," I said, "I've had a wonderful afternoon with you, but I really must get back to my kids. My mother has had them all day and I really should go relieve her. Thank you so much for lunch."

"Jennifer," he replied, "I have had a great afternoon too. I feel like we've known each other for a long time. You are a wonderful person."

He took my other hand in his and, pulling me to himself, gave me a hug. I almost melted. I broke his embrace and started walking out to my car.

"Wait!", he called. "Let me walk you to your car."

"I really don't think you should."

"Jennifer, please. Just let me walk you."

"Oh... All right", I said.

With that, he pushed open the door, held out his arm and escorted me out.

"It's just right over there," I said. As we walked to my car, I accidentally bumped up against him. He put his arm around my waist to support me and I put mine around him. We continued to walk like this, arm in arm, to my car.

I have to say that I have never felt so sexy! We finally got to my car and I unlocked it and put my bags into the back seat. I turned once again to face Joe and this time I started it. I leaned up against him and lifted my face to him. He lowered his to me and we kissed. Softly at first, but soon it was more urgent. More passionate. I hadn't been kissed like that in years!

Slowly I broke our embrace, looked at Joe, and said, "Joe, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. Thanks again for lunch. I have to get going."

I quickly got into the car. After I had started it, Joe tapped on the window. Against my better judgment, I rolled it down.

"Jennifer, I don't know what just happened between us. Something did for me. I know it sparked for you too. I understand that you are still working through the divorce. Still getting over the emotion, I've been there. I can get you through it. I know that we have only just met, please take my business card. Call me if you would like to have lunch or just talk. I really want to see you again."

I took his card, said good-bye again and slowly drove away. My eyes were tearing up as I backed out. Why couldn't we have met a few months later? Should I call him? What was it about spending the afternoon with him that left me wanting more?

I watched him in my rearview mirror as I drove away. He didn't move. He just watched me drive away. As I turned the corner, I wondered just what he was thinking...

*************************************************

As I watched her drive away, I couldn't believe what had just happened. I had met a beautiful, intelligent woman - at a mall restaurant. We had walked with each other afterwards, like we had always been together. Although we had only known each other for a few hours, we were - comfortable. That's the word that comes to mind - comfortable.

So I was standing there and watching her drive away. Why hadn't I tried harder to stop her? Well, I told myself, I had given her my card. All I could do know was wait for her to call. Wait and hope. Since my divorce from Diane, I had dated a few women, but no one had really lit a spark like Jennifer had over our lunch. She had such great eyes! It has been said that the eyes are a window to the soul. If that is true, then Jennifer is a saint. Her green eyes, although displaying the trauma of her divorce, showed a natural happiness. They were so clear. So mesmerizing.

During the time we had walked together, our conversation drifted from family, to work, to hopes and dreams, then back to family. An endless circle that seemed so complete. Her husband had really hurt her. Infidelity is the worst form of betrayal. I kept thinking, what kind of man would want more when he already had Jennifer?

When she said she had to go, I panicked. In such a short time, I flt like I had a new, wonderful friend. So I tried, lamely to prolong it. I had to delay her. I wanted to be with her. But, I gave her my card and walked her to her car. Then, when she reached to kiss me, I couldn't help but hope it wouldn't end. But then, she climbed into her car and left. As I watched her drive away, I wondered what she was thinking...

--------------------------------------------------

I stopped the car a couple of blocks from mothers. I was still too shaken to think clearly. Looking in the review mirror, I saw how red my eyes were from crying. I dried my eyes and tried to collect myself before going on.

My mother and I were very close. She would know that something was bothering me. After a few minutes, I felt calm enough to go on, so I drove the rest of the way to mothers.

"Did you have a good time, Jen?" she asked as I opened the door.

"I sure did, Mother. Look at this great sundress I found."

"It's beautiful. Go put it on and let me see you in it."

While I was changing, she came in, sat on the bed and said, "Jen, you've been crying. It's OK. You've been through hell this past year but you get over it. Life goes on."

The last thing I wanted to talk about was my afternoon with Joe. "Mother, I don't want to talk about it right now. But, it's not what you think. How do I look?" I stepped out of the bathroom and showed Mother the dress.

"That dress was made for you, Jen. You've always had such great taste in clothes. And everything always looks good on you. You have such a cute figure."

I looked at myself in the full length mirror on the closet doors and smiled. Mom always knew what to say.

I kept the dress on. It made me feel so terrific. I wondered what Joe would say if he saw it on me. I think he would like it.

I stayed at mothers for the rest of the afternoon. We chatted about the kids, work, gossiped about the neighbors. Finally, we went into the kitchen to make dinner.

"You've been somewhere else since you got back from the mall, Jen. Is everything OK?"

"Yes, mother, it's just that..."

"What"

"Well, ...I met someone at the mall today."

"I see, well, he obviously made an impression, tell me about him."

I told her about Joe. How we met, what we talked about, how we walked together adn how it all felt so - comfortable. I told her what a gentleman he was. That he had walked with me to my car and what he had told me. I didn't tell her that I kissed him. I needed to keep that to myself for right now.

"Well, are you going to call him?"

"I don't know, probably not, It's just too soon after Steve."

"Oh for heavens sake, Jen! Don't be ridiculous. Your divorce was final four months ago and you were separated for 9 months before that. I know you're scared honey, but you have to get over it. Joe is the first man you've talked about since Steve. If you want my advice, call him."

There it was - Mother offering her advice as though I had asked for it. Sometimes she drove me nuts.

But, was she right? Was I still mourning something that had died long ago? Was I just using the divorce as an excuse because I was scared to trust again?

"I don't know mother, I'll think about it."

We finished dinner with the kids. I took them back home and got them ready for bed. I love spending time with my kids. They are good kids. Steve, Jr. has unknowingly helped me through a lot. Little Joyce has my temperament - she can be quite the feisty one. I got them into bed and settled myself down to read.

I couldn't keep my mind on the book. It kept wandering back to the mall - to my time with Joe. I went to my purse and retrieved his card.

Joseph Murphy
Sr. Engineer
Murphy and Associates
4100 Stoneridge Road, Ste 204
Pleasanton, CA 94678
ofc. (925) 555-1216
cell (925) 555-1410
fax (925) 555-1001
email joe@murphyassoc.com

There it was. I knew how to get a hold of him. But could I do it? Should I? Not tonight. I put the card down and got ready for bed.

That night I dreamed of an old couple sitting on a porch swing. They were holding hands, a pitcher of lemonade sat on a table next to the swing. They were watching their grandchildren playing a game of "kick-the-can". I could see the joy of family present throughout.

If only....

I awoke the next morning with bright sunlight filtering through the bedroom windows. It was later than I planned. The clock on my nightstand said 8:13. I hadn't slept so late in months. Being a morning person, I am usually up and about by 6:15. I decided to stay in bed and enjoy the silence and the sunlight.
© Copyright 2001 storyreader (kavner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165114-A-Chance-Meeting