*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652059-Remembrance
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #1652059
Attic treasures reveal a family's history - A Flash Fiction Entry
Remembrance

Forrest let out a long sigh. I'm gonna miss you, old gal, he thought, crawling into the attic of his Grandmother's house.

The funeral had been .... Has it really been a week? He refocused on the task at hand. Peering through the dying rays of sunset, he saw a pull chain and clicked on the bare bulb. "Well, Grams, let's see what treasures you've kept hidden all these years."

An old trunk was sitting at the back of the space. He made his way through the discarded memories and, grabbing the leather straps, opened it.

Well, I'll be darned! There, neatly folded, was a Confederate officer's uniform. Next to it was a wooden box with "Captain Forrest McLeod" engraved on a brass plate.

"That's who I was named after," he muttered. Opening the box, he was startled by the waxen face staring back at him – the death mask of his ancestor.

"This is too weird." Gingerly picking it up, Forrest carefully turned it over and, without thinking, lowered his face into the depression.

The sound of cannon going off came from the right. He knew that the Yankees would be charging soon. Loosening his sword, he began to prepare. A looming shadow caught his eye and he turned, a blue blur moving toward him, the gleam of a bayonet flashing in the light. He dodged and grabbed the soldier. He felt the rough woven coat tear as his fingers tightened ..."

Forrest was sitting on the floor, panting, feeling adrenaline rush through his body. "What the hell?" he managed to gasp out. He sat trembling, trying to orient himself, confused and scared by his ... vision? memory? I must have blacked out.

He took a deep breath and forced himself to relax. Unclenching his hands, he saw the gleam of a gold button.


Notes:
An entry for the 3/4/10 round of "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge [13+]
Prompt: Write a story that includes the words: mask, sunset, button

Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 300

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652059-Remembrance