*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1654835-Showdown
Rated: E · Short Story · Legal · #1654835
The first time taking the stand as Sheriff against an experienced attorney.
Attorney Cecil Reams strolled to the witness stand just after Sheriff Simpson was sworn in. Cecil adjusted his tie, then sized up the young Sheriff.

“Sheriff Simpson, you are the youngest Sheriff we’ve ever had here in Callahan county. In fact, this is the first time you have taken the witness stand as Sheriff. Is it not?”

“Yes.” The Sheriff glanced at the prosecutor, who bit his lip as if close to shouting objection.

Cecil smiled, like a cat playing with his prey.

“Do you possess the stolen electronics in question?”

“No, sir.”

“Do you have anything placing my clients at the scene of the crime.”

“No, sir… but we do…”

“Just answer the question. Yes or No,” Cecil snapped.

“No, sir.”

“Other than my clients being in close proximity to where the crime occurred, you have no physical evidence at all, do you Sheriff?”

“No. We do not.” The courtroom buzzed.

"Then what are we doing here Mr. Simpson?" He sniped. “While the state has established probable cause... barely..." Cecil shot a glance at the prosecutor, "You have no case. What do you have against my clients?"

"A confession."

"You must have this case mixed up with another, boy!" Cecil exclaimed.

"No," Sheriff Simpson leaned forward pulling a DVD from his jacket pocket, "This is video of your clients just minutes before they came into court today." He handed it to the court recorder, and she nimbly placed it in the player.

The courtroom fell silent as the defendants appeared on the screen sitting on the bench just outside the courtroom, speaking with one another...


"They'll never find the stuff in old man Winters’s cellar."
"Yeah, this case is over."
"I can't believe we got away with it."


The Sheriff raised an eyebrow, "Any further questions?"



297 Words
Flash Story Contest containing the line "I can't believe we got away with it."
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1654835-Showdown