*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656938-The-Cure
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1656938
don't believe in coincidence
It was late at night when Dr. Carl Ward peeked through his microscope. The people in this institute fought battles against deadly diseases like pest and cholera in the past. He needed to sleep but he could not. His eyes were burning and not able to focus on the probe, when he saw an unreal, dream-like phantom from the corner of his eye.

"Still working Doctor?"

"Who are you? How did you get in?"

"'Call me a visitor. Doors and walls don't keep me out."

"I must be dreaming! Ouch!".

"Sorry about the pinch, just making sure you are awake."

"What do you want?"

"Me? Nothing. Your are the one who wants something. Your wife is dying from the disease and you have no clue how to cure it."

"What the hell do you know about it?" He picked up the phone "Security!"

"Don't bother calling, they won't be able to see me" the visitor became transparent when the security guard answered the phone. "Yes Doctor?"

"Never mind!" He hung up the phone and the stranger appeared again in the lab.

"I will give you the solution. It's hidden in the DNA sequence you just need the correct combination."

"And what do you request in return?" Carl asked, in a faint, trembling voice.

"Oh, don't worry. I'll let you know after your live has ended."

"I'm dammed."

"How often I hear this! Seems like yesterday when Alexander Fleming said the same, after I brought him the penicillin".

© Copyright 2010 heddesheimer (heddesheimer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656938-The-Cure