*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657701-License-to-Breed
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by nibo
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1657701
Margot just git the best news she could have every asked for: her license to have a baby!
After standing in line for what felt like hours, Margot finally held in her small, white hand the piece of paper that she’d been dreaming about for almost two years. Jack had said that she was nuts and acting like some kind of New Age hippie, like her mother. Margot, however, had been determined and eventually got him around to see things her way. Of course, the screening process had been far more unpleasant than she'd expected: genetic testing, psychological profiles to test their fitness, but those were required whether you did things the normal way or opted for the alternative.
 
“That’s it then?” Jack asked when she got home.

Margot nodded, still looking at the form like it was made of gold. “I have an appointment with Dr. Dirkoff tomorrow afternoon to go over logistics.”

Jack chuckled and went back to his paper while Margot went into the kitchen to call her mother. Jack listened from the Living Room, still unable to understand what all the fuss was about.

“Mom? You’ll never guess what happened today!”

Silence as Margot listened to the other end of the line.

“No, no. I went down to the Department of Human Services this morning and picked up my paperwork. Jack and I are gonna have a baby! I have the license in my hand!”

She was practically squealing into the phone and Jack went back to his paper.



Dr. Dirkoff’s office was painted the same soft blue that all the offices in the Department of Human Services were. It was supposed to be soothing. Margot found herself trying to figure out exactly how to describe the color while she sat on the cushy armchair and pretended to read out-dated magazines.

“Mrs. Lehman?” The receptionist called, “The doctor will see you.”

Margot gathered her purse and walked from the waiting room into the adjoining examination room, still clutching the precious license in her hand.

“Margot?” Dr. Dirkoff was always smiling when he saw her. Maybe he was always smiling in general. “I’m glad to see you back here so soon! Why don’t you sit down and we can have a chat.”

She nodded and sat on the examination table. “I brought the licensing forms with me for you to fill out. Jack’s already signed where he’s supposed to. He should be here soon. It was hard for him to get the time off work today.”

Dr. Dirkoff nodded and took the paperwork from her, quickly filling out his part. “Now, we’ve talked about everything Margot, but I need to ask you once again to make sure that you really understand what you’re getting yourself into. Childbirth isn’t dangerous like it used to be, but it’s still very painful and the symptoms are unpleasant at best.”

Margot nodded and fiddled with her wedding ring. “I know, Doctor. I want to, though. One of my friends did it and said that it was amazing, despite all the bother.”

“And you’ve spoken with your office about the time off that you will have to take during the last month or so? Don’t try to be brave, Margot. Ask for two full months.”

She nodded again. “Yes. Jane, my supervisor, is going to take on a temp to cover my leave of absence.”

“When you send in that license with my signatures on it, Margot, the Department of Human Services will send you a laminated card of your license. You have to make sure that you carry it with you to prove that this is a governmentally endorsed pregnancy.”

“I understand, Doctor.”

“Well, then,” Dr. Dirkoff smiled again. “it sounds like you’ve thought of everything else. We just have to wait until Jack get here and we can start!”

 


Margot waited until the Doctor left the room before calling Jack. He said he was on his way and would be there soon.

She fiddled with her wedding ring again, turning over the paperwork in her hands again and again. Her mother had been the one to put the idea in her head that maybe she could have a BirthBaby. She’d always regretted not having Margot that way. It was supposed to be such an enlightening experience, even if you did get funny looks from people during the waiting time.

Most people didn’t go through the trouble of having babies the old-fashioned way anymore. Usually the Department of Human Services was more than happy to do the required genetic testing on possible partners and find the best fit for your future child and creating them for you. It really kept the work to a minimum and you could be sure that your new child would be ready whenever you wanted. It made planning vacations and house-buying so much simpler.


“You’re sure you want to go through with this, Margot?” Jack asked as he sat down on the examination table beside her.

“I think so,” she answered, still nervous. It was one thing to plan to be pregnant, but quite another to actually go through with it.

“I think we’re ready, then,” Dr. Dirkoff replied. “Jack, extrication is a very mild operation, after which we’ll be able to extract the necessary semen from you to impregnate Margot. Afterward, you understand that I am required to reverse the operation and return you to a sterilized state?”

“Of course. I would expect nothing less.”


It was hell sitting there on that hard examination bed while Margot waited for them. Her own extrication was going to be even more difficult than Jack’s. She didn’t know exactly how it worked, but it was something they did at birth. It was part of the population control measures that had been put in place several generations before.

“Margot?” Dr. Dirkoff called through the curtain they’d drawn for her privacy. “Are you ready?”

The procedure hurt. Whatever it was they did to her, and she didn’t ask, was not pleasant. When everything was done and it was time to go home, Margot wasn’t feeling beautiful and womanly. She felt like a pincushion at a quilting bee.


Sitting at home, eight months later, Margot was completely bored. Jack was at work, as usual, and she was left at home to watch television and read the pamphlets about parenting and the process of having a BirthBaby.

Margot remembered being told that it was going to hurt and at the time that didn’t matter. What was important was the experience. She was going to have her baby the old-fashioned way and it would be better that way! Of course, eight months later, she was starting to get frightened.


“Why the hell did you let me do this?!”

Jack could hear the screams from the pale blue hallway. He never should have let her talk him into this. It simply wasn’t supposed to be this way. He had no idea why women had once wanted to give birth. It was messy and painful and there were easier ways to do things.


Margot was shot of the idea. All that she remembered of the experience was the intense pain and at least six months of physical discomfort. She hated discomfort. It wasn’t something she would ever do again.

“I have no idea how I let my mother talk me into that.” Margot shook her head, cradling the baby in her arms.

“At least now you know,” Jack said, staring at his newspaper at the kitchen table as they ate breakfast. “Next time we’ll do it the normal way.”
© Copyright 2010 nibo (nibo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657701-License-to-Breed