*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657796-The-Choice
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1657796
A small boy's life or the mission. Which would it be?
Robert listened. His ears perked. He heard the faintest sound of a twig snap. He nudged his snoozing sniper buddy, Buzz.

“Wake up. I heard a noise,” Robert whispered in his ear.
Buzz aroused without a sound. “Where?” He asked.

Robert used hand signals to indicate the sound came from just down the base of the rocky slope.

Camouflaged, they trained their scopes on that spot and scanned the area. Their target was to arrive soon, based upon the intel. Buzz picked this spot as it gave a perfect view of the road. The only problem was a difficult escape route about twenty yards to the top. If the element of surprise was with them, they would make it.

Buzz’s hands were frantic as he spotted a figure. A small boy of about eight years old, was no more than thirty yards away. Robert shook his head. He shouldn’t be there. Robert and Buzz were ordered to take out the lead truck of the convoy, then let their fellow marines attack from behind. A barrage of bullets would likely follow. The enemy wouldn’t care. If they saw something move, they’d shoot it.

Buzz held up his field glasses, and signaled Robert. The convoy was coming. Damn. Robert had to make the decision. Sacrifice the boy or abort the mission?

The drone of large truck engines carried on the wind. Robert looked at Buzz. Buzz signaled driver as his target. Robert signaled top, where the .50 caliber machine gun was mounted. Four more trucks completed the convoy.

Robert looked over. The child recognized the approaching sound of the trucks.

Move, damn it! Robert glanced at the trucks, then at the child, then at the trucks… Robert felt the blood drain from his hand; his finger poised on the trigger.

299 Words
Flash Story Must contain the line "Wake up. I heard a noise."
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657796-The-Choice