*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1659032-Jump-first-fear-later
Rated: E · Article · Inspirational · #1659032
"We only get one chance to work it, so who cares if it’s not perfect?"
People are too easily intimidated. Too easily offended. Too easily discouraged. Too scared.
We only have, what, 60 good years in us? Why do people hold back so much? You don’t have forever, and there isn’t always going to be a later.
Life doesn’t wait for you to make up your mind.
Nothing is ever going to be presented to you on a golden platter. You need to work, and take chances. You need to strive for what you want. You need to get up and try.

Is it weird that I think it would be amazing to just head out for San Diego and find my own way?
I don’t have a plan, or a house, or much money. But, San Diego is where I want to be.
I want an Invisible Children internship. First step? Get my butt to San Diego.
I had to talk to a guidance college rep today about my future plans. I told her that I wanted to intern for Invisible Children, and that my biggest hope is to work for them someday. I told her that I wanted to head out for San Diego as soon I graduate, establish residence, and maybe go to San Diego University in a year or two. She told me I needed to get a house and a job and bring my family out there and get lots of loans.
I told her that was silly.
She didn’t like me after that.
I really don’t want a day job in an office, and a big white house.
I’d be perfectly happy with a studio apartment, and a job at a restaurant or a store. Money really is of little concern to me.
What I want most of all? To get to Uganda. To teach the kids there about love and peace. The beautiful things in life. The things that they’re lives have lacked. Help them get into schools, and become doctors and lawyers, teachers, and astronauts. I want every child to have an opportunity to become whatever they want to become. If they can dream it, they can do it. They should have every chance to make thier dreams come true.
Until I make it to Uganda, I’ll help with Invisible Children as much as I can, support When the Night Comes, and volunteer at whatever the local homeless shelter or soup kitchen is.
I know I don’t belong in this no name New Hampshire town, and I can’t wait to get out of here.
My voice will be heard louder and clearer from San Diego.

People shouldn’t be afraid to live their lives. Why do you want to be tied to a desk all day?
Everyday can be an adventure.
Slow down, look around you. Walk up your street, catch up with an old friend. Don’t spend your time being hateful to people. Do something nice. Open your eyes and see what’s going on around you. Look as far as Africa, and as close as next door. Don’t spend your life in a way that you’re going to regret. I never want to look back and say “I wish I had…”

So whether it’s the boy you really like in your 2nd block, the internship you don’t think you’ll get, the college you love but aren’t applying to, or the first step you are too scared to make, you need to do it.
Go ahead and jump.
The fall is going to be scary, but once you land, you’ll find it was well worth the butterflies. Even if it doesn’t work out, you know for next time. Always strive to learn and become a better person. Always remember who you are, never forget to take that first step.
© Copyright 2010 Cassandra (believe822 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1659032-Jump-first-fear-later