*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1661533-Childhood
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1661533
Childhood can be fun and exciting with its own unique brand of magic.
This is the life, Billy thought, no grown ups, no mean big brothers.  Just me, Tommy, Hank and Wilbur hanging out here inn our castle, fighting dragons and defeating evil doers, this week at least.  Last week, it was cruising the high seas, killing pirates and finding buried treasure.  Billy liked playing pirates but nothing beat the feeling of an imaginary horse beneath him as he rode out to defeat the goblin horde with his faithful compatriots at his side.

Billy knew kids who were in such a big hurry to grow up, but he couldn't understand such a stupid attitude.  Grown ups were hopeless.  They were always stressing out about this or that, trying to outdo each other, trying to “make it big”.  Grown ups forgot how to have fun.  Oh, they say they have fun, going here, flying there, but they just didn't get it.

Billy stood up and surveyed his surroundings.  In the middle of the busy city of grown ups, he and his friends were about to save the kingdom once again, this time by defeating The Swamp Monster of The Black Mire.  Tommy and Wilbur were off to his right, hank to his left.  They approached The Black Mire cautiously, their eyes and ears open for any sign of danger.  They stopped just short of the dark muddy water.

Tommy pulled his wooden sword out of his belt and yelled a challenge.  His friends brandished their weapons, wooden swords for Hank and Tommy and a brand new store bought plastic battleaxe for wilbur, which he got on his birthday.  They each also carried aluminum trash can lids for shields.

They heard a roar.  A huge hideous head emerged from the swamp, long fangs dripping with green ooze and slime.  They knew in an instant their meager weapons would be useless against such a creature!  Tommy lookes to his friends who nodded back.  He reached into his belt pouch and pulled out his Magic Powder.  He said ancient, arcane words ,guarenteeed by the Dilborn Magic Company, to banish any evil creature from this physical plane.  He threw a handful of powder at the hideous monster and it screamed.

“Tommy!” yelled his big sister, Sonja, who now stood covered in flour that Tommy took from his mother's storage bin, “Darn you, I'm telling Mom!”  She growled some more as she brushed herself off.  “Dinner's ready and Mom said to come get you, so let's go before I knock your block off.”

As Sonja stormed off, Tommy and his friends gave each other high fives.  Another successful adventure completed!  After receiving their just rewards from the king and his court, Tommy told his friends goodnight and, smiling headed home for a well deserved repast.
© Copyright 2010 jbeaumont_us (jbeaumont_us at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1661533-Childhood