*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662128-Butterflies-and-Vampires-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Educational · #1662128
The Professor dug into Leigh's past. His interest was piqued...

“Take the caterpillar,” Professor Zimmer lowered his glasses and surveyed the class, “What other creature on Earth goes through such a metamorphosis? Going from an ugly larvae, incubating inside a cocoon, and voila -- a beautiful butterfly!”

The Professor continued, “So, your assignment is to find creatures that transform. Prepare a report showing each stage. You are dismissed.”

Leigh scribbled the assignment in her notebook and collected her book bag.

“Leigh, could I see you for a moment?” A grin spread across Professor Zimmer’s face.

Leigh approached his desk as the cluttered sounds of closing textbooks and papers filled the room.

“You are like the butterfly, Leigh. I’ve examined your file." He looked square into her soft brown eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“I know, Leigh. Your aunt called me. She emailed me several pictures and documents over the past few weeks. You would be an interesting subject.”

“Professor, my aunt is a kook. She’s always thought strange things.” Leigh’s soft eyes turned hard. “You don’t want to go there. That woman has always had a thing for weird night creatures.”

“Come on, Leigh. You can trust me.”

“I am not a vampire, Professor Zimmer.”

“How did you know what kind of creature?” The Professor’s eyes narrowed as he pressed her.

“Because that’s what she’s always thought I was. I’m not. My father wasn’t either. He died, just like any other human being. Now, may I go?” Her voice now terse.

“Yes. But if you change your mind…”

“I’m not a vampire!” Leigh's voice raised as her eyebrows tilted in frustration. A couple of students looked up.

“All right. I believe you. Keep your voice down.”

Leigh turned and sped toward the exit.

“Pity,” Professor Zimmer whispered, “I was only looking for a mate.” His fangs showing in his smile.




300 Words
Flash Story must contain: cocoon, square, smile
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662128-Butterflies-and-Vampires-1st-Place