*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662700-Silent-Scene
Rated: E · Script/Play · Activity · #1662700
A one page silent scene I wrote for a class.
The man is kneeling on the floor, fiddling with something the audience can't quite see. His body is packed underneath the mezzanine, and it is obvious he is too tall to comfortably fit. His arms are erect above his head, and the audience views the muscles flexing and relaxing. His face is antagonized, and with the lip ring he seems a little intimidating. The amount of tension in his body rises in conjunction with his the intensity of the muscular movement.
He stands abruptly, turning his back on the audience. He is now seen at his full height. Thin and hawk-like, his movements are sharp and swift. He seizes the ratchet with his right hand, applying the tool to a screw head on the outside of the mezzanine with the same tension the audience witnessed before.
He stops short, turning as a girl enters the scene. She resumes his place underneath the mezzanine, her height allowing her a standing position. He smiles appreciatively at her and hands her a different ratchet. Her hands begin to fiddle with the same unknown thing. He waits patiently for her to finish, and then attaches his ratchet in a familiar way to the front of the mezzanine. He begins to loosen the bolt, but with obvious effort. The effort of loosening the bolt has obvious effects on both bodies. As he pulls the ratchet clockwise his right foot comes off the floor and the entirety of his weight shifts with the struggle. The opposite motion seems to be happening in the girl. She is using her body weight entirely to pull to her right, but still her left foot seems to come off the ground with the effort of holding on to the ratchet. Once he finds a rhythm, their actions turn into an almost choreographed dance, getting bigger and more absurd with each stroke. Soon, her ratchet comes loose and the two look at one another.
He takes the ratchet from her and looks inside. He laughs gaily, and all the former tension seems to dissipate. He shakes the ratchet into his hand. Out falls the bolt, chunk of the screw and all. His face is amused. He pockets the trinket, turns to the girl and hugs her warmly. There is a feeling of familial compassion here, although the two are obviously not related. A sense of accomplishment hangs in the air. Leaving his arm around her, the two turn back towards the mezzanine. Their shoulders visibly sag. The audience senses that there is much more work still to be done. Slowly, begrudgingly, they reclaim their respective places. The work begins again as the girls hands disappear with the ratchet behind the lip of the mezzanine.
© Copyright 2010 Basil Shae (76trombones at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662700-Silent-Scene