*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1663270-Like-a-Field-Mouse
Rated: E · Assignment · Drama · #1663270
Had to write something akin to F Scott Fitzgeralds 'Tender is the Night'
The decrepit streets of the west-side of the city supported the unyielding weight of dark, faceless figures hurrying along to destinations unknown. The sky blackened angrily bearing witness to the blatant corruption below as viewers aim projectiles at personas within a screen in futile dissent. The pedestrians interact with acute suspicion, intimidation, ignorance, and greed. This molested metropolis, once pure and thriving, has now disintegrated to the liking of a small bathroom overflowing with impatient customers. Each out of the multitude of drivers is solitary on the chaotic road. Carriages violently pass bathe fetid children waiting in feverent anticipation on the walk. Emancipated house pets rejoice in their triumph.

An indistinguishable man stalked through the crowds. He was as aveage height, average look. His head held a dark bowler cap lowered over his eyes. He exuded a fierce power, which the pick-pocketers easily acknowledged. His prey entered an alehouse and Michael silently followed through the injured wooden entry. The blateration within the tavern far exceeded that without. Fading adelaster lined the chipped walls. The pungent odor of stale liquor and a cornucopia of cigars enticed him. He spotted his man ascending a flight of stairs to more exotic pleasures and sat in a quin offering an idoneous view to wait. A barmaid hobbled off to retrieve his order. As he took a long draught of his bourbon, a stunted gentleman entering through the front door took his notice.

The gentleman's apparent shabbiness fit flawlessly with the tavern atmosphere. His hair was oily and in disarray, coat in tatters. What reason does Griffin have to haunt this set?

"My wife", answered Sebastian with bitter candor. "Katherine has become a pious zealot- a true ascetic.

Outwardly appeared to be completely focused on the viscount, he discreetly scanned the stairwell. Sebastian Griffin resented the sanctifying masses with a blinding fury. His relations had been castigated for their libertarian views. Griffin's achievements in the war against Napoleon were the only means of saving his family from ruination. His eyes reflected the candlelight, enhancing the callous weariness his past endowed upon him. He claimed farctate and urged Michael to continue his meal. "I know you will not be here for long"
© Copyright 2010 Sofei Monet (lilbrighteyes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1663270-Like-a-Field-Mouse