*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664265-PARADOX---Chapter-38
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1664265
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
Chapter 38

May 4, 2012 – Los Alamos, New Mexico



Huck escorted them to an elevator inside the security building. A fading sign over the door read Site Y. Inside the elevator there were numbered buttons for several levels, then lettered buttons indicating lower levels. Huck pushed one of the lowest buttons and the elevator jerked into its descent.

“You are aware that Los Alamos is the premier research lab for such things as nuclear, subatomic particles, magnetic fields, exometallurgical, exobiological, and other exotic technologies research,” Huck remarked as they slowly descended. “What is not commonly known is that a considerable amount of research is done here on technology that regular scientific labs consider far fetched or science fiction in nature.”

“Like UFO technology?” Lofton jokingly asked.

Huck grinned at him but raised his eyebrow in a ‘you never know’ manner. “Some technology from past wars, World War II and the Cold War in particular, are also stored and studied here. Documents related to the same are kept here in special archives.”

When the elevator stopped Huck escorted them down a long well lighted hall to a massive metal door. As soon as the door opened a security desk manned by a military policeman blocked further entry. The MP checked their badges, referred to a computer screen, then pushed a button, which opened a door behind him. Beyond that door was another security desk manned by several military policemen who went through the same procedure.

The room they finally entered looked more like a library than a lab. Several men in business suits stood at strategic locations around the room and Monday knew they were also security due to the bulges in their coats. They were asked to sit down at a large conference table.

Within minutes, two men walked into the room carrying armloads of files and ledgers. They were probably resident scientists. A man in his mid sixties, white hair, thick glasses, and a bulbous nose, nodded at Huck but did not identify himself. “They have the necessary clearances?” He confirmed once again, as if he was reluctant to part with the information in his possession.

Huck shook his head and turned to Monday. “Why don’t you tell them what was in the Nazi documents your men found in Argentina.”

Monday glanced at the two men who deposited their materials on the expansive table and sat down across from him. He pulled some badly wrinkled papers from his jacket pocket and tried to smooth them out on the flat surface of the table. The scientists looked at them as if they were the holy grail.

“I’ll give you a brief overview. Success! Bormann and Kammler’s negotiations have been successful. The American government agreed to our terms with few minor provisions. The atomic material and triggering device will be sent to The United States. Admiral Doenitz has been instructed to load the material on U-234.”

Monday halted to get the reaction of the two scientists. Their faces were bland as if what he was reading was old and unexciting news. He continued. “Our Imperial Japanese allies will be devastated when the U-234 surrenders to the Americans. The material was promised to them for completion of their own atomic program.”

“When Kammler first approached the OSS with our proposal, and mentioned the terms, they balked. But, when the American government learned of the atomic trigger and the enriched uranium, their agreement was quick in coming. It seems that the American Atomic Bomb program is at a standstill because they are unable to make a triggering device that will work.”

“They reluctantly agreed that the Fuhrer and his retinue, along with selected officials of our Reich, SS Gruppenführer Hans Kammler, Chancellor Martin Bormann, myself, and a score of others, will be guaranteed safe conduct to a place of our choosing and that all evidence of our deal will be held in absolute secret from the world and the history books.”

“As additional compensation, we advised the American Government that all our greatest scientists, along with much of their research, will be available to them so they will not fall into Soviet hands. They have named the project, Operation Paperclip. They also stipulated that Admiral Donitz will be acceptable as the new German Chancellor. The Fuhrer residence has been prepared and our submarine fleet is moving all required materials at flank speed.”

“There are several more pages outlining material transfers and discussions with the Argentine government,” Monday continued. “This letter is the duplicate of one written and signed by Gestapo Chief Heinrich Mueller, addressed to Adolph Hitler. Did our government make a secret deal with Adolph Hitler and his henchmen for nuclear material and secrets in exchange for their freedom and exile? According to this document they did. I have no doubts about its authenticity.”

The two scientists looked at Monday then smiled at each other. “Yes.” The white haired one said. “We did.”

“I’m listening,” Monday replied, leaning back in his chair.

“The deal was made in early 1945. I must give you a little background first.” He pulled several documents from the pile and placed them in some type of order. Monday was amazed as the story unfolded.

It appears that the Nazi regime knew that the war was lost by January 1945. They also knew that the Soviets, who were rapidly advancing into Germany, would be merciless. They had a bargaining chip they could use with the Allies, the Americans in particular, and decided to use it. Nazi agents were well aware of how close the Americans were to completing their atomic bomb project, and they also knew that the only thing delaying it was enough enriched uranium and a device to trigger the bomb. A deal was made at the top most levels, led by Gestapo Chief Heinrich Mueller.

Eleven days after Nazi Germany's surrender, and a month before the final assembly of the U.S. atomic bomb, Marine guards escorted a Nazi submarine, U-234, into the New Hampshire naval yard.

The U-boat contained 560 kilograms of enriched uranium oxide, as well as other atomic-bomb components. The Manhattan Project commandeered these materials to complete both the Hiroshima uranium bomb and the Nagasaki plutonium bomb.

Imperial Japanese Navy Lieutenant Commander Hideo Tomonaga, a leading Japanese submarine designer, and Lieutenant Commander Genzo Shoji, an aircraft expert, were on board. They both committed suicide when the Boat surrendered.

The listing of 560 kilograms of uranium oxide for the "Jap Army" on U-234's manifest was kept from the public. The cargo manifests from U-234 listed 580 kilograms, or 1120 pounds of uranium oxide, as well as most of the Nazis’ latest, and most secret, war-making technologies; including, two fully disassembled Messerschmidt 262 jet fighters, the first jet aircraft used in combat and the only such planes employed in World War Two; the newest silent electric torpedoes; and plans and material to build Germany’s feared V-2 rockets.

Secret plans for the development of an atomic triggering device was also part of the documents on the U-234.

If U-234 had made it to Japan, as originally planned, America may have been the target of the first Atomic Bomb instead of Hiroshima.

By late spring 1945, when the U-234 surrendered there were just two months left until the scheduled Trinity Test - the first test of an atomic bomb – and the detonator problem was still unsolved. All that changed very quickly.

Other documents provided by General Hans Kammler, were also invaluable to the American military effort. Kammler was in charge of the Nazi secret weapons projects, the activities of the scientists in this secret operation were beyond any technology that had appeared by the end of the war. Weapon systems that made the V-1 and the V-2 look obsolete.

Kammler was a ruthless and powerful SS officer who had committed numerous war crimes. By April 18, 1945, Kammler disappeared without trace. His name was not even mentioned during the Nurnburg War Crimes. Many sightings of Bormann, alive and well, were reported over the three decades following the war. The alleged grave of Gestapo Chief Heinrich Mueller, was also disinterred in 1963 and found to contain the skeletal remains of three men, none of them Mueller.

“So, the Nazis did us a favor and we reciprocated my providing a ‘get out of jail free card’ to most of the top brass!” Monday stated. “Was it worth it?”

“Japan did not get the atomic bomb and we won the war.” The white haired scientist nodded. “I’d say that it was a fair exchange.”

“None of this was made public?”

“We could not hide the surrender of the U-234, or it’s cargo manifest. There were far too many eyewitnesses. Anyone reading about it will be listed among the hundreds of conspiracy theorists, and you know most of them are considered kooks.”

“The conspiracy theories about Hitler escaping and scores of big time Nazi bosses are true then?”

“True!”

“There’s something you’re not telling me,” Monday blurted, sitting up straight in his chair and placing his palms flat on the table. “As far as anyone is concerned, if I released the information I have in this letter, I will be listed as one of the conspiracy nuts too. So what is the significance of this meeting.”

“The jewel,” the other scientist blurted out. “Or jewels.”

The white haired scientist looked at him to observe his reaction. When Monday did not respond he explained.

“Part of the deal with the Nazi’s was for all their latest technology. That included programs of any scientific nature, no matter how far fetched or in what stage of development. We received most of them, but the Nazi’s held out on a big one. One of the scientists we brought to this country under Operation Paperclip, described a project the Nazi’s were working on that was referred to as, The Bell.”

“In 1945, a mysterious Nazi secret weapons project code-named "The Bell" left its underground bunker in lower Silesia, along with all its project documentation, and a four-star SS General Hans Kammler. Aboard a massive six-engine Junkers 390 ultra-long range aircraft, "The Bell," Kammler, and all project records disappeared completely, along with the gigantic aircraft. The SS allegedly murdered most of the scientists and technicians involved with the project but we believe now they were taken by submarine to a new location.”

“Sources report that the Bell experiments involved feeding large doses of electricity into an underground chamber where a bell-shaped device emitted a pale blue light. Five scientists exposed to the device died of side-effects. Word had it that they were investigating some kind of anti-gravitational effect. The Bell, which was about the height of a man and glowed during testing, was made of hard, heavy metal, filled with a violet mercury-like substance. This metallic liquid was stored in a flask, encased in lead three centimeters thick.”

“Experiments always took place under a thick ceramic cover and involved the rapid spinning of two cylinders in opposite directions. The chamber in which the experiments took place was deep below ground. Only the Bell itself was preserved after a series of tests, each lasting about one minute. Even the room was destroyed and rebuilt.

Various plants, and animals such as frogs, mice and rats, were exposed to The Bell's sphere of influence. Rapid decay set in and people who helped conduct the experiments suffered from sleep problems, memory loss and muscle spasms. One of the terms used was 'vortex compression'. Another was 'magnetic fields separation'. Both were associated with antigravity. One scientist even referred to it as a ‘time vortex’ machine.

“We now know that the Nazi Bell Project was real and that the Neo Nazi’s have perfected it and extracted other advanced technology from it. All they need is a source of energy, and the jewels we believe, are that source. Our information states that The Bell could be the most powerful weapon ever conceived, even more powerful than nuclear weapons.”

“Why haven’t you stopped them?” Monday questioned. “Undoubtedly you know where they are and how to get to them.”

“We tried that once,” the scientist answered. “Have you ever heard of Operation Highjump or a British mission called Operation Taberlan?”

“Monday shook his head in a no gesture.”

“Operation Highjump is on record. In 1947, Admiral Richard E. Byrd led 4,000 military troops from the U.S., Britain and Australia in an invasion of Antarctica but encountered heavy resistance from Nazi flying aircraft and had to call off the invasion.”

“In an interview after the failed invasion, Admiral Byrd declared that it was imperative for the United States to initiate immediate defensive measures against hostile regions. The admiral further stated that he didn't want to frighten anyone unduly but that it was a bitter reality that in case of a new war the continental United States would be attacked by flying objects which could fly from pole to pole at incredible speeds. When Byrd returned to the States, he was hospitalized and was not allowed to hold any more press conferences.”

“Then you’re saying that the Nazi’s moved their technology to Antartica, expanded on it, and are preparing to kick our asses? If they had that kind of technology over sixty years ago, why haven’t they done it before now?”

“We’re not certain about Antartica.. We don’t know where their main base or bases are, but we do know that one of them is in Argentina, which is a sovereign nation and another one may be in Patagonia. The only reason they have not “kicked out ass” as you so eloquently put it, is they did not have a reliable power source…until now. And, they allegedly have nuclear weapons capability and the means to deliver them.”

“The jewels again,” Monday stated. “How could they be a power source?”

“We don’t know, but all our intelligence indicates they connect with the Nazi Bell project in some way and work as a booster or catalyst of some kind.”

“We need to secure the jewel your Team found from the Nazi’s,” Huck cut in. “And try to get back the one Dorbec stole. Without this power source they evidently can’t operate the Bell efficiently.”

Monday thought about the strange way the jewel mesmerized him when he looked at it. “So, you want me and my Team to take on an army of Fourth Reich Nazi’s and save the day?”

“You now have access to whatever muscle you need, Special Forces, Delta, Rangers, in any number required.”

“My boss?”

“Your boss is the President of the United States,” one of the security agents standing in the room replied. “We,” he pointed to himself and the other agent, ”are Secret Service. You will report only to the President or to whom he specifies as needed.”

“You know that I had no choice?” Monday looked at Huck. “You know that I would search for Daria even if I ran into these Nazi guys. Without help, you knew I’d be no match for them.”

Huck shook his head yes. “We must keep this under wraps. We don’t know how involved the Argentine government is, if at all. Should the general public find out there is a powerful new Nazi organization operating against us, panic will set in. We will use disinformation as much as possible and threats where necessary. We also cannot use American military forces in Argentina unless we are certain of the location of their hidden base. The men you ask for will have civilian passports and identification.Don’t do anything stupid, Monday. Just find Daria, find out if you can where their bases are, then back off and let the military handle it.”

“You still on board?” Monday turned to Lofton.

“Sounds like a boatload of fun. When do we head south? Preferably by jeep.”

“One last thing,” the Secret Service Agent added. “There’s another unknown organization working against both us and the new Nazis and they have powerful resources. We don’t know who they are, only that they are very well organized and extremely dangerous. We do know that their power reaches into high places.”

“Don’t let your feelings get in the way of staying alive big brother.” Huck referred to Daria. “If I could go with you I would, but Uncle Sam has other plans for me before I leave the Company in a few weeks.”

“You calling it quits?”

“Got a better offer. Same hours, five times the pay and the perks are outstanding.”

“I need to call my men in Argentina immediately.” Monday stood and ran his fingers through his hair. “They need to know what they’re up against.”





© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664265-PARADOX---Chapter-38