*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664275-The-Shrub-and-the-Oak
by Ebube
Rated: E · Prose · Other · #1664275
A short story about the 'pluses' of being average.
The Shrub and the Oak

The shrub said to the grandfather oak, why am I not as big and impressive as you are? You trunk is so large. Your leaves are bright green and numerous, your branches spread wide and far. You bear beautiful fruit.  You are so famous. Your name is known throughout the world. Everything about you is opposite to me-my stem can't even be called a trunk, I bear tiny leaves and little flowers. Who even remembers that I exist? I'm not important industrially or economically. 

You should be thankful,my little shrub, replied the oak. Do you know that is difficult to feed all of my branches, to maintain the leaves that give shelter to the numerous birds and creatures that take cover in my shade? You are smaller, and so you can take proper care of yourself without so much worry. You are so beautiful. You're used to decorate houses and office complexes because of your petite size, and people love to take pictures with you.

With greatness, accomplishments and fame come great costs, little shrub. You may see yourself as less famous and accomplished than I am, but you are special. You lead a normal, undisturbed life and can take part in the usual, mundane activities that we larger and more famous trees cannot participate in. You enjoy the peace and tranquility of ordinary day to day living. Enjoy your life, for in your average status is rare beauty.
© Copyright 2010 Ebube (spekkychi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664275-The-Shrub-and-the-Oak