*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664314-First-Day-Of-Deer-Season
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1664314
A blog I wrote four years ago. It's fun though!
         BLAM!… I heard that first whooping call of manhood come at six o’clock this morning, while I rocked my nine month old daughter to sleep. You see… today was the first day, of the first firearms deer season in Illinois. I got up at four o’clock this morning bright eyed and bushytailed. Humming softly “It’s the second week of deer camp!” I quietly got dressed as quickly as I could without waking any of my five kids. Speaking of kids I thought as I stepped into the living room to see the destruction sprawled out before me.

         The kids had fallen asleep in the living room after watching “Cars” and were currently splayed out around my living room floor. Now this is no small feet as my living room and dining room are huge. Yet my three older kids {the other two are in cribs, made it look simple. Still humming, albeit with little catches, as I wobble on one foot in between two kids. I continue playing that dangerous guessing game “Where can I step without landing on a kid!” It felt as though I was crossing enemy lines, and the barrier was a well armed mine field. One that I must maneuver through in complete precision else set the alarms off.

         I freeze as I my five-year-old son proceeds to roll over and jerk his pinky out from under my socked foot. I know I did no lasting damage and I was thankful it was only a pinky finger. Humming with more vigor now, I move towards the kitchen. I had to give myself a little congratulatory pat on the back for the maneuvering capabilities, which helped me through the living room. All of this and without my first injection of caffeine yet! No a bad start to the day. I was on a roll.

         Still determined to make my husband one of the best (first day of deer season breakfasts) that he has ever had, I grab the skillet and start the eggs frying sunny side up. In another skillet, I start the decadent Texas Toast, and in yet another deep skillet, I make him a wonderful combination of Bacon, link sausage, and sausage patties.

         While that was cooking, and I was in route to the coffee pot, I stop at the counter and rethink the verse I was just humming?…

          It’s da second week of deer camp,
          And all da guys are here!
          We drink, play cards, and shoot the bull,
          But never shoot no deer!
          The only time we leave the camp,
          Is when we go for beer!
          The second week of deer camp,
          Is the greatest time of year!

         Oh yeah the deer killing endorphins are extremely thick in the woods round my two story, farm house this mornin. Shaking my head at my twisted since of humor today, I have to admit to my own wee excitement about the impending battle between man and the elements. The strong man, braving the elements of nature to hunt for his family some grub. Ok, that was a bit too hillbilly even for me, but it made ya grin.
         I mean the hunter to bring in the biggest buck round these parts last year was a twenty year old woman! Stick that in your pipes and smoke it guys! Just goes to show ya that us here women are tougher than we appear. We only wear the makeup to fool ya’ll. LoL

         Oh yes, back to where I had left off. I started a full pot of coffee and then leaned in to brace my hips against the counter as I just closed my eyes and breathed in real deep. I was thoroughly enjoying the heavenly aromas filling my quaint little kitchen, when my husband stumbled into the kitchen.

         I noticed he was looking at me rather odd when I heard the buzzing sound getting louder. Oh good Lord the smoke detectors must be going off again. Looking around at the cobalt blue and white country theme of my kitchen, I don’t see any smoke. Glancing frantically around to find the source of the sound, I look back to my husband as I see more than hear him hollering my name.

         With a brilliant flash I was brought out of that sweet, idealistic, fantasy, and thrown headlong into the true morning routine… LoL

Now the reality of this morning, first day of deer season…

         I realize as I blink my eyes repeatedly that the incessant buzzing was the alarm clock, which had now awakened my nine month old. Meanwhile, as I get my robe on and grab my daughter from her crib, my husband was franticly flying through the house looking for the remainder of his deer equipment. “Heaven forbid daddy get everything ready last night huh baby?” I ask Sarah as I put her in her walker, watching her laugh when my husband smacks my bottom loud enough to cover the grunt of surprise I tried to repress.

         Leaving Sarah there for now while happy and content for the time being, I went into the kitchen to start the coffee and throw some pop tarts in the microwave for hubby dear. Yeah, it is the harsh reality of the real world, but hey, it is the thought that counts right?

         While listening to my dear hubby rant while storming through the house, I walk quietly over to the back of our couch. I had put all of the gloves, hats, and things I knew he would forget in a pile on the couch last night. When I handed them to him, instead of saying thanks he says… “I should have known you would have it laid out for me.”

         I knew that was all I would get by way of thanking me, but ya know… it was good enough for me. Just one of the many pit falls to being married to a proud man. Feeling a tiny bit more like the idealist side of me I had so recently dreamed about. I went in and put his pop tarts on a real plate instead of paper, and cut up a banana beside it. I know it isn’t much but by then, Sarah was crying.

         Neither of us are able to achieve the devotional status of doing only to please the other all of the time, but we do what we can, when we can. He started to eat his meager breakfast as I went into the living room to pick Lil’ Bit, (Sarah) up. I call her Lil Bit cause she was born seven weeks too early and only weighed four pounds four ounces.

         I sat and fed Lil’ Bit while we talked of what we both wanted to get done today. Those few moments together before the older children awake are so precious and so few, that we try to make the most of them when we can. As it always is though, it didn’t last very long at all. Before I knew it, he was walking out the door and headed off to watch deer ply in the woods.

         He gave me a little peck on the cheek as he turned to go, while promising to call on the cell phone if he got anything. I stood in the doorway with Sarah as we watched him walk out to the truck, with his gun in one hand, and a thermos of coffee in the other. We watched until it became too cold to stand in the doorway would allow.

         Sarah was yawing but still not ready to give up so I put her back in her walker with a teething biscuit, thinking I might get some reviews done or maybe even a bit of writing done, I walked over and sat down before the medium of my imagination.

         Later, my fingers where just flying over the keys and Sarah was jumping up and down in her walker when I heard that first Blam! Yep, shotgun season was most assuredly here… and all I could do was hope that the woods will remain the same safe place they are outside of deer season.

         Well all… I think that is gonna have to be enough for my first Blog entry. I have got to get some sleep while the babies do or I am gonnna be a zombie in the morning. I hope you have enjoyed your “Bit of Darlin Domain”… and will once again return to read the idle ramblings of a mad woman. Well maybe not mad but a bit disturbed LoL If you don’t believe me just ask my kids. My ten-year-old daughter told me the other day that I was just not right in the head. Ha!

         Course… that was while I was acting out a scene from the Disney movie “Pan!” I was doing each voice and acting them out for the boys. I have to admit the boys sure liked it. He, he, well when ya got it, ya got it right? Why fight perfection… NOT.

         Well have a great one and I will talk to everyone again very soon. Thank you for being here and I hope to hear what you think of my daily ramblings… Yet, if there is nothing you want to say about this one… please check back again another time. You never know what I will type next.
© Copyright 2010 Darlin ~ Writer (darlinwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664314-First-Day-Of-Deer-Season