*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664784-The-plan
by Ebube
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1664784
A detective and a thief
"We'll set out to this Miss Anderson's by 12pm today", the boss informed his group. "Fix this in your minds-it's now or never. Jack must not be allowed to roam loose on the streets past today. We must get him!"

Marie was a tough detective, the only female in her division of the town. She loved to oust criminal activities and put the criminals in the only place that was good for them- prison.

News had just come to the boss about a certain man who had until now evaded all the efforts of the police force to trap him. This Jack was very smart, cunning and sharp. He seemed to be able to smell out the law enforcement agents before they got to him. Now, they were on the alert. Reports had it that Jack was in the area, on the trail of some loaded woman. Marie was determined to outwit him this time around, no matter, or almost no matter what it took.

The group set out a little before twelve. Marie was dressed casually, albeit beautifully. She was to be the bait, for it was known that this Jack had weak spot-women, though in spite of this he had managed to evade all efforts to ensnare him.

On arrival at Miss Anderson's, Marie left the unmarked police car and walked to the house. A maid answered the door, and ushered her into the living room. Miss Anderson, who had been notified of the 'visit', exchanged greetings with her and prepared to leave the house. Marie was to be alone, locked inside, fool Jack into conversing with her, identify him and beep her colleagues who would then move in for the arrest.

Marie waited for hours, with no sign of this Jack. Had the information been false? Had Jack somehow been tipped off? Just then, there was a muffled sound of broken glass, and someone opened the back door and slipped in. She took a deep breath and put on a panicked look for the act. This shouldn't take long.

The detective was located in the very place that Jack should search for his fortune. Soon he was walking cautiously towards the room. She could imagine him scanning his surroundings, his senses alert for any movement whatsoever. Suddenly he was in the room. Marie took a deep breath and pretended to be shocked and afraid. She stared at him from behind panicked eyes. Immediately he swung towards her, on the extra-alert.

“O-oh pl-le-lease, thank goodness you're here- so-somehow I locked myself inside and haven't been a-able to get out,” she stammered.

Meanwhile, she turned her eyes to his, intending to identify him by a brown spot that lay on the white part of his left eyeball. Her left hand was on her pant pocket, poised to depress the beeper and call for her colleagues. Much to her chagrin she could not look him straight in the eye. His eyes were covered by a pair of thick, dark spectacles.

Marie faltered for a second on the inside. Was Jack going to evade them again? What should she do? Call for the rest of the group anyway? At least this man had broken into the house, and he was masked! The rest of the details could be sorted out at the police station. Silently she reached for her beeper.



word count-559
© Copyright 2010 Ebube (spekkychi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1664784-The-plan