*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665012-Unwelcomed
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1665012
Mars fights back. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: shadow, bridge and flower

Unwelcomed

Destroying the bridge was their only defense.

It could be a long trip around your typical Martian crevasse. Hopefully help would arrive before It could either circumvent the mile-deep trench or find another way across. Commander Hillman estimated they had no more than five months. After that, he and the rest of the colonists would be gone – either rescued or dead.

It was going to be a close thing. Earth had been notified but help was not exactly around the corner. Evacuating the entire base had never been part of the blueprint. Ships had to be built. After that, it was a four-week journey.

“Hold on as best you can Commander. We will be on our way soon.”

No use arguing. The distance was what it was.

Hillman gathered the colonists to discuss the situation.

“The planet does not want us here.” He gestured to the huge cloud of dust in the distance; its eerie shadow covered most of the bio-dome. Everyone knew its source. “We are unarmed against an enemy of immense power. Rescue is coming but it will take months to get here.”

“Maybe we can negotiate a truce.” It was Sam Jackson, one of the botanists.

“How would we do that Sam? Should I just walk out of the dome and surrender to the first boulder I see?” He wanted to take that back as soon as he’d said it. They were all afraid. Sam was only trying to help.

The meeting ended and people zombied back to work. Hillman tried to be positive but had just too little hope to offer.

In his office, he looked at what started it all. Everything had been fine until this. In an enviro-case, was Sam Jackson’s biggest success – the first flower to grow out of Martian soil.

Word count 298



© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665012-Unwelcomed