*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665333-The-Mask-of-Sanity
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1665333
The tale of a man who's elegant charm conceals the terrifying monster within.
It was typical mid-summers night. Pedestrians and traffic were busy going about their business, minds in a hurry but with no real destination. A cool breeze blew through the city, a nice change from the usual humid and muggy weather that people experienced. The sky was painted with beautiful clouds covering a setting sun, as light turned to dark. Neon signs and street lamps slowly blinked on, as people readied for another frenzied night life. Who knew, that for a select few, it would be a night to die for...


In a small but classy restaurant in the Downtown Area, a woman was waiting impatiently at a table. She looked at her watch, then brushed her soft, long hair out of her eyes. "Twenty minutes", she said under her breath in annoyance. This was the second time that he was late. The second time that she had waited for him. Somehow, she knew he would do it again, but for some reason, she just couldn't reject his offer to meet tonight. She would never admit it to anyone, but she was immensely attracted to him. Twenty-five more minutes passed, and she began to get very irritated. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she seen him. With a cool and confident stride in his walk, he went to sit down in front of her. She looked at him, but before she could speak he said "You really don't look happy. Is it because I'm late or because you missed me too much?" She stared up at him with half a smile. He grinned as he placed a small black box on the table in front of her. With a quiet gasp, the woman's eyes lit up, and a small smile formed on her elegant face. She opened the box and took out two small diamond earrings, and looked up with excitement. "Oh, Eric! These are absolutely beautiful. I don't know how to thank you!" A grin formed over his face, as he took her other hand and kissed it gently. "You don't need to thank me, darling." Her smile ever so large, she removed her old earrings and graciously put the diamond ones on. She let out a laugh and took a sip from her drink. "This is going to be one great night!" Eric looked at her for a moment, and with a cold smile, said "This is just the beginning."


After a several hours of laughing, dancing and eating fine cuisine, Eric proposed a toast. "To you. To us. To a night we'll always remember." The woman took her glass of wine and cheerfully clinked their glasses together. She hadn't felt this happy in months, and she knew it was because of him. There was something about him, something startlingly mysterious, yet incredibly alluring. The way he carried himself, how he weighed each decision, how he seemed to care about her every word. This was a man she could see herself marrying, and having a long life with. The thought of him hurting her never even crossed her mind. How could he, such a gentle and kind soul he was. After a few more hours of ceaseless fun, Eric motioned that it was time for him to leave. With a small, disappointed laugh, she agreed that it was time to depart. As he walked her to her car, he turned her around and gave her the most sensual of kisses. She moaned quietly, but did not pull back. She wanted more, a mere taste was just not enough. Eric slowly pulled away, and stroked her cheek with his right hand. His dark, blue eyes seemed to hypnotize her, making her scream inside for more. With a dirty smirk, she pulled him roughly towards her. They engaged in a long, passionate kiss. Before long, they were up against the car, fiercely kissing and feeling each others bodies. He kissed her ever so softly on the neck, and lifted her leg with his other hand. She let out a loud moan, she just simply could not control herself any longer. She opened her car door and led him inside. As she closed the door, she looked back at him, and before she knew it, all turned black...

The first thing she smelled was the rancid stench of death. Slowly, she opened her eyes, to reveal something more horrifying than she could ever imagine. She tried to move, but her hands and feet were firmly chained to the floor and ceiling. "Hello", she said shakily. No answer. Her eyes searched the room, making her cringe with fear. On a table just a few feet away from her, was an array of vicious implements, such as syringes, scalpels and other brutally sharp objects. To her right, she spotted what looked like a bath, filled to the rim with a thick, dark red substance. She noticed that a camera was above her, watching her as she began to breath heavily. She then heard a door open behind her, and heard footsteps coming towards her, until she saw him. No longer did he appear lively, or charismatic. No longer did his eyes shine with sincerity and passion. "Hello, Lynn", he said in a tone that gave her chills down her spine. Dressed in a dark, leather jumpsuit with a pale blue apron covering his chest and legs, he stared at her with eerie fascination. She knew from that moment on, that it was over...

                                                                        To Be Continued
© Copyright 2010 Paul J. Belanger (entertherealm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1665333-The-Mask-of-Sanity